Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Cambridge?

Anyone in Cambridge?

Old Jul 29th 2012, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Curlu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone in Cambridge?

I've heard this could be a nice are to consider for those working in Hamilton. Any insights??

Thanks
Pamela and Stuart
Old Jul 29th 2012, 8:21 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Cambridge?

Do you have a family? If you do, then I am fairly certain you will like Cambridge. Very easy quick drive into The 'Tron too.

If you've got any specific questions, ask away
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

higgy2 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have visited Cambridge a few times and like the look of the
area, the Schools seem good and if you have a bit of spare cash
under the mattress St Peter's would fit the bill. ( more than a bit)

The main shopping has a good assortment and it has the feel and
look of New England.

Houses to fit all styles and pockets, we drove around the residential areas and found gardens well kept with litter free roads and decent cars on the
drives. All good signs to me at least.

Kai our daughter was at her Tap Dance class and someone who lives
there said he found when looking for a house it was a bit more pricey
to both Buy or Rent than the Hamilton area.

If and when my wife secures a Full-Time job we would consider this area.

Shane
Old Jul 30th 2012, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I lived there for 3 years before moving to Auckland a year ago and I still miss the place.
No need to faff about at St Peters for good schools. Both my kids went to Camb High and
gaining uni places is no problem at all, the level is very good.
As higgy says the houses cover all budgets from typical kiwi shacks for around $200k through
to brand new 3 or 4 bed homes from around $380k and go up to whatever you want to pay.
I always noticed when I worked in Hamilton and told people when they asked that I lived in Cambridge
they all used to go " Oooh it expensive down there" and look at me as if I was loaded.
There's a good community feel to the place and it doesn't take long to get to know people.
There are lots of other expats there which makes settling in a little easier.
There are parks for kids and dogs, lakes to walk around or row /sail /ski on if your into boats
there's also a couple of very active cycling clubs, Cambridge united football club which is run by
a brit and has lots of brit guys playing for them, they cater for all levels from kids through to old boys
with absolutely no talent at all like me. There are equestrian groups, a horse racing track ( trotting with buggy's and grey hounds)
right in the middle of town that's kid friendly, free to get in and makes for a fun nigh out for the
cost of a few $2 bets.
For bars and restaurants you have the stables, GPO, Prince Albert (english beer), Masonic, TAB bar, Onyx,
the national hotel, plus a few others all within 2 minutes walk of each other. Like most Kiwi towns
there are almost more coffee shops than people so plenty to chose from. Hamilton is just up the road for
bigger shopping and work but its a place I wanted to live in, Cambridge was always much nicer.
I think on average it is a little (just a little) more expensive to rent or buy but if you want to be part of
a community that has a real village feel rather than settle in just another characterless suburb in Hamilton
then I'd say its worth it

Last edited by Justcol; Jul 30th 2012 at 12:18 am.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

My parents have just moved to Cambridge after living in Auckland for many years and adore it.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much to those that have taken the time to reply, it sounds like a strong contended! Husband is visiting the week of 20th August and he will take a look around!

Pamela
Old Jul 31st 2012, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

for new houses get him to make arrangements with an agent to view some of the new places at
kings gardens, twin willows, river gardens. theres lots of empty new stuff around and it'll give him an
idea of what kiwi houses are like
Old Jul 31st 2012, 6:48 am
Just Joined

Thanks JustCol, any recommendations as to which agents to try?
Old Jul 31st 2012, 7:00 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

They're much of a muchness and Cambridge is pretty small so you can get a decent feel for the town yourself without a smarmy agent. Anything in Cambridge East will be a decent bet, avoiding the odd few pockets here and there that are a bit less lovely. Likewise parts of Leamington are lovely but it's proportions are opposite.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

now just to confuse you, If your looking at a map of Cambridge, Cambridge east is at the top.
Up there you've got 3 or 4 newish subdivisions, Norfolk downs, twin willows, kings garden, and Oaklands.
Kings gardens and twin willows being the newest. Norfolk downs supposedly the posh one.
Remax deal with a lot of the new build developers but you can check with any of the agents in town.
Be warned, there is a new bypass going to be being built in the next few years.
This is already effecting house prices in the area close to where construction will be taking place.
Once it completed you wont notice it at all but construction will take a long time and cause a fair amount
of disruption

http://sh20mountroskill.co.nz/projec.../cambridge.jsp
Old Jul 31st 2012, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again, thats really helpful!!!