British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Anyone in Cambridge (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/anyone-cambridge-754640/)

Tollervey Family Apr 12th 2012 8:48 am

Anyone in Cambridge

Morning all
Myself and my hubby and our two boys aged 3 and 8 are shortly moving to Cambridge from the UK and would love to make contact with people in the area to chat.
Trev has got work in Hamilton, and I'm currrently looking, my sis already lives in NZ but we are keen to start making contacts of our own, so if there's anyone out there pls get in contact!
Thanks
Charlotte

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 12th 2012 11:41 pm

Re: Anyone in Cambridge

Originally Posted by Tollervey Family (Post 10001694)
Morning all
Myself and my hubby and our two boys aged 3 and 8 are shortly moving to Cambridge from the UK and would love to make contact with people in the area to chat.
Trev has got work in Hamilton, and I'm currrently looking, my sis already lives in NZ but we are keen to start making contacts of our own, so if there's anyone out there pls get in contact!
Thanks
Charlotte

Hi Charlotte & welcome to our friendly NZ forums. We are not in that area but I'm sure someone will be along soon who lives that way.

When do you move to NZ? It can be rather daunting at first but hopefully you'll soon settle in. Does your sister live in the Cambridge area? It does help to have a contact here but it's good to get your own circle of friends too.

Good luck with your plans :)

autawa Apr 13th 2012 8:30 am

Hi Charlotte

Myself and my husband are in Hamilton so not far away, we have a boy aged 2 and an 8 month old girl. Im from the UK, my husband is a kiwi, let me know if you want to catch up when you arrive, safe journey!:)

Tollervey Family Apr 15th 2012 8:33 pm

Hiya
Thanks for the reply, it's so good to hear from someone who's already there and has been through it! How long have you been there now? My hubby will be working in Hamilton for Tudor Decorating and I expect that's where I will end up working too although I've only just started looking - I'm in no rush!
We are quite anxious now and the excitment seems to have died down a little but as we haven't even visited before I expect it's the fear of the unknown. My sis' lives in Tirau so that should help - having a friendly face.
What do you and your husband do for a living?
Take care and thanks for the reply!
Charlotte

autawa Apr 16th 2012 8:46 am

I first arrived in 2003 when i was 23 so was a bit of an adventure for me! Met my husband back in the Isle of Man (where i'm from) we stayed up until 2008 then spent a year in OZ and 2 years back home. We have now been back just over 12 months, finding it different being a stay at home mum but I still love the place just as much! It would be hard not really knowing what to expect but having your sister here will help a lot.
My husband is a sales rep and im currently at home with the kids. :)
When are you moving out here? :)

Tollervey Family Apr 16th 2012 9:20 am

Morning!
We fly on Sat 12th May - so not long now, so nervous! My hubby is a decorator and I work in Events at the moment but would love to do something a bit more worthwhile so maybe still keep it in Events but for a venue where it's a bit more personal or for a charity doing fundraising events but we will see - I'm in no rush will be nice to have some time out! Sounds like we are similar ages I'm 32 and Trev is 37. I expect you have your handsful with the children with a 2yr old and 8mth old that's a job in itself that's for sure. I chickened out and had a big 4yr gap I'd still quite like a girl though! Have you found making friends quite easy? What was the hardest and the best thing about the move? Sorry for all the questions!! Have a great day - it's actually sunshining here so I best make the most of it!
Charlotte

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 17th 2012 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Tollervey Family (Post 10007872)
Morning!
We fly on Sat 12th May - so not long now, so nervous! My hubby is a decorator and I work in Events at the moment but would love to do something a bit more worthwhile so maybe still keep it in Events but for a venue where it's a bit more personal or for a charity doing fundraising events but we will see - I'm in no rush will be nice to have some time out! Sounds like we are similar ages I'm 32 and Trev is 37. I expect you have your handsful with the children with a 2yr old and 8mth old that's a job in itself that's for sure. I chickened out and had a big 4yr gap I'd still quite like a girl though! Have you found making friends quite easy? What was the hardest and the best thing about the move? Sorry for all the questions!! Have a great day - it's actually sunshining here so I best make the most of it!
Charlotte

You need to add yourselves to the May Leavers & arrivals thread, it's looking a little sparse in there ;)

autawa Apr 23rd 2012 8:08 am

Hi again!!

wow not long until you leave, we have had beautiful weather lately so hopefully it will last until you get here. Yip im 31 and my husband is 39 :)
I made a lot of friends through work when i first arrived here, i worked for a big company, but it does take time to make real friends, i have met a couple of really good ones through my husband friends wifes/partners. Sure is a handful with both of the kids, especially not having any of my family around!! im going back for a holiday in July on my own with the 2 of them, dread to think what the flight will be like :ohmy:
The hardest thing about the move is not having family around, it didnt bother me so much before i had the kids but it really does now, but my mum and dad plan to visit once a year (they were here at xmas)
I loved NZ as soon as i got here, but again we didn't have any children and used to get away a lot, but its a fab country, has it problems but where doesn't! one thing that i don't like is the driving, but you just get used to it after a while and i don't notice it so much anymore!!! :)

Justcol Apr 23rd 2012 1:24 pm

cant help much but if your hubby fancies a pint of english beer, they do Boddies, and guinesss
in the PA (prince albert) and carl the barman is a friendly lad

Tollervey Family Apr 24th 2012 9:34 am

Thanks - I'm sure he will be very grateful of that advice!!:p
Charlotte

Tollervey Family Apr 24th 2012 9:40 am

Thanks so much for all the advice it's difficult to know what to expect particularly as we haven't even visited before it's a bit of a gamble!! We are pretty manic now with goodbye parties and packing - everytiem I think I've done everything I seem to stumble across something else - crazy!It's good to hear the weather is nice as its been pretty much non-stop rain here!! I will post again once we're there - thanks again!
Charlotte:fingerscrossed:

Originally Posted by autawa (Post 10020585)
Hi again!!

wow not long until you leave, we have had beautiful weather lately so hopefully it will last until you get here. Yip im 31 and my husband is 39 :)
I made a lot of friends through work when i first arrived here, i worked for a big company, but it does take time to make real friends, i have met a couple of really good ones through my husband friends wifes/partners. Sure is a handful with both of the kids, especially not having any of my family around!! im going back for a holiday in July on my own with the 2 of them, dread to think what the flight will be like :ohmy:
The hardest thing about the move is not having family around, it didnt bother me so much before i had the kids but it really does now, but my mum and dad plan to visit once a year (they were here at xmas)
I loved NZ as soon as i got here, but again we didn't have any children and used to get away a lot, but its a fab country, has it problems but where doesn't! one thing that i don't like is the driving, but you just get used to it after a while and i don't notice it so much anymore!!! :)

chasingsun Apr 26th 2012 12:27 pm

We are hoping to move to that area next year so if you are settled in, you could become a mentor..

I am 37 british living in canada
Boyfriend 32 canadian

2 boys aged 2 and 8 months....

very scary but slowlt getting paperwork organized... Good luck with your move

Tollervey Family Apr 26th 2012 12:46 pm

Hiya
How exciting, I wish you all the best with your paperwork it's a bit of a minefield we had a NZ Solicitor though - so we cheated!!
We would be happy to help in anyway possible, so I will keep you posted with our progress.
Scary is definitly the right word, I am pretty anxious right now but I'm hoping it will all be unfounded when we get there.
Good luck with the paperwork - what category are you applying under?
Charlottex

chasingsun Apr 26th 2012 1:00 pm

We are going under Skilled Worker, My BF is on the long term skills shortage , He is a Food Technologist doing Research and development on Baked goods right now, used to do pet food..... I work in Finance or Hospitality have qualifications in both. Although i wont work until the kids start school.

I am still waiting for canadian passports for the boys before i can send the EOI in, My 2 year old keeps getting his photo refused.

I have family on Te Awamutu who run a BB, so we are going to stay with them while we look for a house, but i hope it is easier to make friends in NZ than it is in Canada, I have been here since 2004 and have work friends but socially its werid..

Tollervey Family Apr 26th 2012 1:18 pm

Oh great, thats how we got in as my hubby is a Tradesman and has managed to get a job in Hamilton. I'm in events so looking for either Wedding/Conference Coordinating at a venue or a charity or I've also done Marketing - so one of the two. I've just started looking and the response seems quite positive considering I'm still currently in the UK! It must be lovely to be at home with them, I've had to work unfortunatly but I've always tried to keep it to a max of a 4 day wk and stayed off as long as poss - but it doesn't stop you missing them.
We are doing the same I have a sis in Tirau we are staying with them for 3/4 wks whilst we look for a house and then thinking Cambridge hopefully.
I must admit I am worried about the social side as I have a strong network here of work friends, old school/college friends and new friends from teh chidlrens school/pre-school etc and it will be quite a jump to knowing no-one. But the new Zealanders seem so friendly so fingers crossed.
xx