Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone building and importing windows etc

Anyone building and importing windows etc

Old Aug 15th 2009, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice
Default Anyone building and importing windows etc

We are starting to plan our house and as there is a large proportion of glass was wandering if anyone has or is importing double glazed units.

Thanks

Karen
Old Aug 17th 2009, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone building and importing windows etc

I don't think it is necessary to import windows. However, we have the usual aluminum framed windows which hold our doulbe glazed windows. I would rather that the were vinyl as some sort of convection seems to happen in the house. The cold on the frames seems to create a creeping coolness along the floor, there is no breeze, but you really notice the cold from the windows. Our house I am sure must be something over 50% glass if you subtract the garage. We have floor to ceiling windows all along the living side of the house and the master bedroom. None of these walls have any closed in spaces except if there is a corner. It is nice when the weather is fine. I think it would have been good to still have thermal lined windows.

I just recalled that someone told me while we were building that a family imported all the wood for the house from British Columbia because even with the shipping, it was cheaper. I am guessing though that it was some sort of cedar product and may also have included shakes for the roofing and so that is why it was imported. However, wood is very expensive here though we have so much of it.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course you can get double glazing here, and yes mostly in aluminum frames, you need to make sure they are built properly with a thermal break between the outside and inside frame, that should stop the cold bridging that occurs in the aluminium frames and stop condensation running down the frames but not the glass

I have seen a few houses wth UPVC windows but not many...
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:08 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

First Windows do a frame system called "thermal heart" which stops the cold penetrating.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:44 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I have a vague recollection of being told upvc frames don't stand up so well to the intense uv rays here and some councils not approving them cos they can only guarantee them for 10 years and their are likely to discolour and get very brittle. That was a couple of years ago now when we enquired so it might have changed but I think that's why they use metal frames for DG here.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

Thanks all for the help its just that because the lounge is 4.2m high we are getting negative feedback
Old Aug 17th 2009, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minky
We are starting to plan our house and as there is a large proportion of glass was wandering if anyone has or is importing double glazed units.

Thanks

Karen
if your importing PVC windows make sure the UPVC can stand up the the much higher UV rays here in NZ, if not they will end up cracking and splitting over the years
Old Aug 17th 2009, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
I have seen a few houses wth UPVC windows but not many...
Yeh, mine
Old Aug 18th 2009, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

I am wondering if the UV is really higher in NZ. I wonder if this is one of those "urban" myths or not, just like innoculations cause autism. Anyway, not really looking for a debate, but does anyone know for sure?
Old Aug 18th 2009, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute

According to the Met Office, the UV index never exceeds 8 in the UKhttp://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/guide/key.html
but in NZ the index can be as high as 14 on a cloudless day (depending on where you live) http://www.cancernz.org.nz/HealthPro...erControl/UVI/. HTH.