British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Anyone applying nz police? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/anyone-applying-nz-police-331758/)

jenks007 Oct 16th 2005 3:31 pm

Anyone applying nz police?

Hiya, Is anyone in the UK applying to NZ Police ? If so would like to hear from you. Going through the motions and would also like to hear from officers who took the 'plunge' in 2002 for their honest opinions... :eek:

Hubbz Oct 26th 2005 8:02 pm

Re: Anyone applying nz police?

Originally Posted by jenks007
Hiya, Is anyone in the UK applying to NZ Police ? If so would like to hear from you. Going through the motions and would also like to hear from officers who took the 'plunge' in 2002 for their honest opinions... :eek:

Hello Jenks007, my husband has applied and has an interview in London in November, was really looking forward to the move but after reading about the cost of living not so sure now!!! :confused:

jenks007 Oct 26th 2005 10:16 pm

hiya hubbz
if you go on to the expat thread:New Zealand Police - International Recruitment you will find other officers in the same boat concerns over pension and posting.
we went to nz earlier this year, we think it has what we want but yes the cost of living is more expensive than you would first think. But does vary from area to area If you get posted to Auckland (which is where the guys think we are all going) then it is loads more expensive.Got friends that went out there beginning of the year and they are struggling.
They said think about what you dont want and it helps you to decide (in nz's favour anyway) but it is a huge chance to take with alot at stake here if it goes wrong.
I am a police wifey so it would be nice to stay in touch with you.
J.

Hubbz Oct 29th 2005 6:39 pm

hiya hubbz
if you go on to the expat thread:New Zealand Police - International Recruitment you will find other officers in the same boat concerns over pension and posting.
we went to nz earlier this year, we think it has what we want but yes the cost of living is more expensive than you would first think. But does vary from area to area If you get posted to Auckland (which is where the guys think we are all going) then it is loads more expensive.Got friends that went out there beginning of the year and they are struggling.
They said think about what you dont want and it helps you to decide (in nz's favour anyway) but it is a huge chance to take with alot at stake here if it goes wrong.
I am a police wifey so it would be nice to stay in touch with you.
J.

Thanks for getting back to me, yes it would be nice to stay in contact.

When does your husband have his interview? Are you going up with him?

Still having concerns about the cost of living but untill Steve (My Husband) actually gets offered a position we are trying not to really think about it as dont want to build up hopes too much.

Have looked at lots of housing web sites and I agree with you, its going to depend on where they will be posted and I think this could really swing our decision on if to go or not.

My sister is in the process of immigration and is just waiting for a final decision, apart from that we dont know anyone out there.

Anyway, good luck.

Sarah.

jenks007 Oct 29th 2005 7:42 pm

Hiya Sarah
Petes interview is on Tuesday, I am going up with him. Staying in the Regent Palace Hotel Piccadilly on the Monday night. Got the room through london tourist board £59 b+b!!! Not expecting it to be up to much but it is a pillow for the night. Wont be getting there till around 9 at night as hubby is working that day and we have to get our girls settled down to bed. Chose to go to london night before as it saves us getting up at sparrows and having to explain to the girls why they are not coming with us. They will be fine if our eldest goes into our bedroom in the morning and find their godparents in the bed instead!!! The hotel is a stones throw from NZ house too which will save the pressure of taxis or getting lost.
When is your interview day?
We are quietly simmering at the moment, it is a huge step to take. If we are unsuccessful then the decision is taken out of our hands. One of the difficult bits for us is that only 2 of our mates know about what is happening and they only know cos they're looking after the girls! We dont want to upset our other mates until we have got this out of the way at least. We think we have made the right decision to keep it quiet till we have got a bit further along.
When we came home from NZ in April we were quite adamant that we did not want to go afterall, but it has been coming back and haunting us more and more. If we are accepted nothing is written in stone we can wait until the 11th hour and pull out if necessary. It sound s a bit jack cos if we do pull out it has taken the chance from someone else but at the end of the day it is a huge change in our life. We have got alot to lose by leaving this country (ie)pension, financial security etc,. but alot to gain by going.Lots of soul searching to do if we are successful.
If your interview is after ours we will give you the low down when we get back!
Here goes......
Joanna.

Hubbz Oct 29th 2005 8:50 pm

Hiya Sarah
Petes interview is on Tuesday, I am going up with him. Staying in the Regent Palace Hotel Piccadilly on the Monday night. Got the room through london tourist board £59 b+b!!! Not expecting it to be up to much but it is a pillow for the night. Wont be getting there till around 9 at night as hubby is working that day and we have to get our girls settled down to bed. Chose to go to london night before as it saves us getting up at sparrows and having to explain to the girls why they are not coming with us. They will be fine if our eldest goes into our bedroom in the morning and find their godparents in the bed instead!!! The hotel is a stones throw from NZ house too which will save the pressure of taxis or getting lost.
When is your interview day?
We are quietly simmering at the moment, it is a huge step to take. If we are unsuccessful then the decision is taken out of our hands. One of the difficult bits for us is that only 2 of our mates know about what is happening and they only know cos they're looking after the girls! We dont want to upset our other mates until we have got this out of the way at least. We think we have made the right decision to keep it quiet till we have got a bit further along.
When we came home from NZ in April we were quite adamant that we did not want to go afterall, but it has been coming back and haunting us more and more. If we are accepted nothing is written in stone we can wait until the 11th hour and pull out if necessary. It sound s a bit jack cos if we do pull out it has taken the chance from someone else but at the end of the day it is a huge change in our life. We have got alot to lose by leaving this country (ie)pension, financial security etc,. but alot to gain by going.Lots of soul searching to do if we are successful.
If your interview is after ours we will give you the low down when we get back!
Here goes......
Joanna.

Hi ya

Good luck for Tuesday, Steve has his interview a week on tuesday, again like you we are staying up in a hotel the night before. Staying somewhere nr Earlscourt as had problems finding hotels with parking for the day. We live in Somerset so didnt fancy driving up that day so thought we would have a night in a hotel. Like you we havn't told anyone. Two other blokes from Steves station applied, one didnt hear anything and the other has got an interview but doesnt think he is going to go. Not looking forward to telling my mum and dad, I think steves parents will be ok as they live a couple hundred miles away from us, so hardly see them. We also have a daughter, she is 17 months old, a right pain in the bum but gorgeous, her name is Jessica. I totally agree with you, we are just going along with it and if we get through it doesnt mean that we have to go. If we get posted in somewhere like Auckland or Wellington I dont think we can afford to go!

Sarah

jenks007 Oct 30th 2005 6:05 pm

Hi Sarah
Getting the heeby jeebies now, well I am, Pete is on the calm down now so I shall have to keep my heeby jeebies to myself!!!

Have had a busy day prepping stuff for the day - questions lots so far, hope they dont get the wrong impression as most of them sound quite negative! Still if they cant handle it.....

I think the chap at Steves station who is thinking about not going would be daft not to. He has got nothing to lose by going to London, it will either spark his interest or he will decide it is definately not for him. If he doesnt go he'll never know and there will always be that 'what if' niggling him everytime he gets a downer on the job.

I do not doubt that NZ is a wonderful country, education, space, quality of life etc,.We are just not sure whether our future is with NZ Police, so far they have not instilled too much confidence!
Luckily we have a couple of good friends and a few rellys out there so when we went at the beginning of the year we did not have our rose tinted glass' on. Our friends who went out there told us to "think about what you dont want". If you dont get an expat head on and slag off this country and think that the grass is always greener, (because this country does have good points - probably more in Somerset than Sussex),then you will have a good start. NZ, like all other countries that people chose to emigrate to has its bad points and I think people forget that when going through the motion and end up getting disappointed when things arent as perfect as they had led themselves to believe and end up coming home.

Anyway, getting a bit deep!! Where is your sister emigrating to?? Does she have a date yet? I guess you will be feeling for your folks if you do end up NZ'ing it as your sister is going too! But I am sure they still want the best for you and your own little family.

If I dont get the chance to catch up tomorrow - headless chickens and all that. Then I will speak soon after our day up in the 'smoke'!!
Jo.

chrisvan Oct 30th 2005 9:13 pm

Hi Sarah/Jo

Hope this message works - previous one didn't! I too am wifey of hopeful applicant to NZ. We are going down to London in 2 weeks for interview etc. As u say its worth the gamble to hear what they saying etc. Auckland does seems like an expensive area but there are suburbs which could be slightly cheaper then commute. Its worth continuing til its up to u to decide. I have a sister who lives out in Auckland and there's a site www.mov****.com to have a look out, also the www.police-forum.com lots of other coppers/better halves and more dilemmas.

Anyway nice to have chatted, lets see what London brings,

Chris
:)

jenks007 Oct 31st 2005 7:04 am

Hiya Chris
Can you give us that website again with loads of *** in it. Doesnt seem to come up with anything. Maybe too many ***???!!!
Jo.

chrisvan Oct 31st 2005 11:58 am

Jo

Hi for some reason its not coming up! try this www. policedashforumdotcom!!

Hope u can work that out otherwise I'll PM u

Chris

Hubbz Oct 31st 2005 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by chrisvan
Jo

Hi for some reason its not coming up! try this www. policedashforumdotcom!!

Hope u can work that out otherwise I'll PM u

Chris

Thanks for the site, I'll give it a go.
Every site i look at seem's to be putting us off the idea of moving out there!!
Have to wait and see. :(

jenks007 Nov 1st 2005 7:46 pm

Hi All,
Bin there, Done That, Got the Pen !!!
Today was the most positive I have seen NZ Police, they actually talked to us...All nice guys (but they wouldn't send numpties, would they?). One of them was one of the Brits recruited last time. Bit knackered (also had a few beers) talk more tomorrow, Pete (I'm her hubby!) :beer: :beer: :beer:

Hubbz Nov 1st 2005 8:22 pm

Hi All,
Bin there, Done That, Got the Pen !!!
Today was the most positive I have seen NZ Police, they actually talked to us...All nice guys (but they wouldn't send numpties, would they?). One of them was one of the Brits recruited last time. Bit knackered (also had a few beers) talk more tomorrow, Pete (I'm her hubby!) :beer: :beer: :beer:

Hi ya Pete,

I bet your glad thats all over. Glad everything seems a bit more positive now. When you feel up to it you must give us the low down. My husband is really worried about the fitness test. Found another good web site with loads of other police officers applying its ************.com, worth a look.

jenks007 Nov 2nd 2005 1:20 pm

Hi All, here is the condensed version of my experience at the recruiting day.
The day was run from the High Commissioners Office .
We had 2 "no shows" but this didn't seem to phase anyone and nothing was said about it.
The atmosphere was a relaxed one, the three recruitment officers being very approachable and speaking with everybody on a first name one to one basis.
Although at times I had the feeling that it was an unofficial interview (that's police paranoia for you!!!).
The paperwork was finished off and if you signed the "don't contact my employer bit" then forget it as they will anyway. They need fax No's for HR and PSD .
Now the scary bit, THE PHYSICAL.
We changed in the gents as no where else was available and did our press ups in the foyer! A point for the girls is that it's full macho type ones which was a shock to some on the day.
We then walked to St James Park, had the route explained on the tourist map and proceeded to push, shove and generally trip over the tourists. I think photos of me looking very pale, wearing a numbered vest and sweating buckets will appear all over Asia pretty soon.
Out of our group 2 got under 10:15, the next 3 (me included) under 11 mins, 3 women under 12 mins and 1 got lost.
We then went back to NZ House for a session in the underground car park. Some very strange jumping thing which involved chalking your hands, stretching above your head and marking the wall then jumping to see if you can reach 48Cm's higher. I said it was strange and to quote the NZ cop "I don't know what this has to do with being a cop, it beats me".
Then after a quick shower and your lunch it was more informal chats then the interview, which was an informal chat again.
We knocked off a bit early and headed home.
We have been told that the groups are about 10 - 12 in size, a group a day Mon to Fri until the end of the month then we expect to hear how we did by the 2nd week in Dec.
What was interesting is that they could have funding to recruit a further 1000 in the not too distant.
They did not answer "Why can't you recruit in NZ ?"
And don't expect a support network over there because they haven't got one !!
The flavour of the day seemed to be WE WANT YOU, DO YOU WANT US ? NOTHING IS PERFECT AND WE AGREE THAT YOU ARE GIVING UP A LOT AND RISKING A LOT BUT IF YOU WANT IT THE OFFER'S THERE.
Also was told that not everyone will be forced into going to Auckland. (like last time). They state what they want and where they want it i.e Uniformed Patrol Gisborne. You then get 3 choices of where you go. This has to be submitted within 1 week of the day or like me you can do it then and there.
I am still very dubious about this as I am finding it hard to believe that they will accommodate our choices when they are struggling to fill gaps in Auckland.
Pension: you are unable to transfer it into a Police scheme but can put it into a bank then withdraw it and do what you want with it. The Police pension scheme is a lump sum when you are knackered and retire type of thing with no regular income.
Some officers from the '02 recruitment have provided their details so that they can tell you what it was like for them.
And finally for those of you asking about The Regents Palace Hotel, there are no rats, no mice and no obvious bed bugs as THE BLOODY NOISE KEEPS THEM ALL AWAY :zzz But the room was very nice, clean and the brekkie was good it is also just around the corner from NZ House which avoids a very very very early start.
Good Luck Jenks . (I said it was condensed, oops)

Hubbz Nov 3rd 2005 7:24 pm

Hi All, here is the condensed version of my experience at the recruiting day.
The day was run from the High Commissioners Office .
We had 2 "no shows" but this didn't seem to phase anyone and nothing was said about it.
The atmosphere was a relaxed one, the three recruitment officers being very approachable and speaking with everybody on a first name one to one basis.
Although at times I had the feeling that it was an unofficial interview (that's police paranoia for you!!!).
The paperwork was finished off and if you signed the "don't contact my employer bit" then forget it as they will anyway. They need fax No's for HR and PSD .
Now the scary bit, THE PHYSICAL.
We changed in the gents as no where else was available and did our press ups in the foyer! A point for the girls is that it's full macho type ones which was a shock to some on the day.
We then walked to St James Park, had the route explained on the tourist map and proceeded to push, shove and generally trip over the tourists. I think photos of me looking very pale, wearing a numbered vest and sweating buckets will appear all over Asia pretty soon.
Out of our group 2 got under 10:15, the next 3 (me included) under 11 mins, 3 women under 12 mins and 1 got lost.
We then went back to NZ House for a session in the underground car park. Some very strange jumping thing which involved chalking your hands, stretching above your head and marking the wall then jumping to see if you can reach 48Cm's higher. I said it was strange and to quote the NZ cop "I don't know what this has to do with being a cop, it beats me".
Then after a quick shower and your lunch it was more informal chats then the interview, which was an informal chat again.
We knocked off a bit early and headed home.
We have been told that the groups are about 10 - 12 in size, a group a day Mon to Fri until the end of the month then we expect to hear how we did by the 2nd week in Dec.
What was interesting is that they could have funding to recruit a further 1000 in the not too distant.
They did not answer "Why can't you recruit in NZ ?"
And don't expect a support network over there because they haven't got one !!
The flavour of the day seemed to be WE WANT YOU, DO YOU WANT US ? NOTHING IS PERFECT AND WE AGREE THAT YOU ARE GIVING UP A LOT AND RISKING A LOT BUT IF YOU WANT IT THE OFFER'S THERE.
Also was told that not everyone will be forced into going to Auckland. (like last time). They state what they want and where they want it i.e Uniformed Patrol Gisborne. You then get 3 choices of where you go. This has to be submitted within 1 week of the day or like me you can do it then and there.
I am still very dubious about this as I am finding it hard to believe that they will accommodate our choices when they are struggling to fill gaps in Auckland.
Pension: you are unable to transfer it into a Police scheme but can put it into a bank then withdraw it and do what you want with it. The Police pension scheme is a lump sum when you are knackered and retire type of thing with no regular income.
Some officers from the '02 recruitment have provided their details so that they can tell you what it was like for them.
And finally for those of you asking about The Regents Palace Hotel, there are no rats, no mice and no obvious bed bugs as THE BLOODY NOISE KEEPS THEM ALL AWAY :zzz But the room was very nice, clean and the brekkie was good it is also just around the corner from NZ House which avoids a very very very early start.
Good Luck Jenks . (I said it was condensed, oops)

Hi Ya Jenks

Thanks for all the information, it sounds like you done ok. Cant believe we wont find out until the 2nd week in DEC. All this waiting is doing our heads in. Have you been on the other web site yet, lots of information on things like visa's, pensions etc. How involved was Jo in the interview, did many people take partners. Do you still want to go to NZ?

Sarah