British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Anyone Apply for Citizenship? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/anyone-apply-citizenship-935963/)

paddy234 Dec 3rd 2020 10:49 pm

Anyone Apply for Citizenship?

Hey guys was wondering if anyone else has applied for NZ citizenship and if so how long did it take? I have a few friends who applied around may and they got it within 6-8 weeks while I applied 5 months ago and when I called up today they said that they are working on it, there's no case officer yet assigned but apparently they are working on it whatever that means lol. Anyone else experience this?

Bo-Jangles Dec 4th 2020 7:04 am

Re: Anyone Apply for Citizenship?

It'll be Covid, they no doubt will have loads to catch up on - they haven't had any ceremonies since March.

Pom_Chch Dec 4th 2020 6:13 pm

We applied June 2019, had the ceremony in August 2019, had passports 2/3 weeks after that. Huge backlog at immigration at the moment, big delays with any applications.

Justcol Dec 4th 2020 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12942685)
It'll be Covid, they no doubt will have loads to catch up on - they haven't had any ceremonies since March.

Yes they have
A friend of mine received his a few weeks ago in Dunedin

BEVS Dec 5th 2020 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 12942924)
Huge backlog at immigration at the moment, big delays with any applications.

Point of note: It is the Dept of Internal Affairs that processes citizenship applications and time slots, not NZ Immy.

paddy234 Dec 5th 2020 2:50 am

The reason why i'm confused is because i know three people who applied around the lock-down or just after, a few weeks before me and they got theirs within a few months, no ceremony, just a certificate yet after 5 months i don't even have a case officer. I'd love to know how they prioritize applications

Justcol Dec 5th 2020 4:14 am

Originally Posted by paddy234 (Post 12943015)
The reason why i'm confused is because i know three people who applied around the lock-down or just after, a few weeks before me and they got theirs within a few months, no ceremony, just a certificate yet after 5 months i don't even have a case officer. I'd love to know how they prioritize applications

I believe the policy is, the shady, dodgy characters are made to wait

paddy234 Dec 5th 2020 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12943023)
I believe the policy is, the shady, dodgy characters are made to wait

So i a five year wait then 😆

Pom_Chch Dec 5th 2020 4:50 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12943007)
Point of note: It is the Dept of Internal Affairs that processes citizenship applications and time slots, not NZ Immy.

Good point! Just checked my email and indeed it is from Dept of Internal Affairs 😊

escapedtonz Dec 8th 2020 9:19 pm

We applied in June 2020 and only in the last week or so have heard back from the case officer checking the details are correct to be recorded on the official documents. No ceremonies at the moment. They were stopped because of Covid19. Assuming it wont be long now till the certificates come in the post.

paddy234 Dec 9th 2020 5:47 am

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 12944216)
We applied in June 2020 and only in the last week or so have heard back from the case officer checking the details are correct to be recorded on the official documents. No ceremonies at the moment. They were stopped because of Covid19. Assuming it wont be long now till the certificates come in the post.

Nice, good to know I'm not the only one. Hope you don't have to wait another 5 or 6 months for the certificate

escapedtonz Dec 9th 2020 9:39 am

Ah, doesn't really matter if it takes a week, a month or a year or two. I ain't going anywhere!

Justcol Dec 9th 2020 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 12944392)
Ah, doesn't really matter if it takes a week, a month or a year or two. I ain't going anywhere!

But you might out on all the wonderful benefits it brings

Bo-Jangles Dec 10th 2020 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12944604)

:lol:

Pom_Chch Dec 10th 2020 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12944604)

You do get a free tree at least!