British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Is anyone addicted to the coffee in NZ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/anyone-addicted-coffee-nz-387184/)

Amanda Jul 28th 2006 12:38 am

Is anyone addicted to the coffee in NZ?

Just wondering if anyone is addicted to the coffee in New Zealand? One of the reasons stopping me from returning to the UK is the Coffee (sad, I know).
They just don't seem to make it the same in other countries. What do you think?

SarahB Jul 28th 2006 3:46 am

Re: Is anyone addicted to the coffee in NZ?

Originally Posted by Amanda
Just wondering if anyone is addicted to the coffee in New Zealand? One of the reasons stopping me from returning to the UK is the Coffee (sad, I know).

LOL.... I have no idea sorry as I dont drink coffee. I have to admit to not liking the de-caff tea here and mum sends me Tetley and PG Tips de-caff from UK.

I like the biscuits and crisps here though. :D

ex geordie Jul 28th 2006 4:41 am

Originally Posted by SarahB
LOL....
I like the biscuits and crisps here though. :D

Hi Sarah I have found very few nice biscuits here so can you recommend some PLEASE :) Linda

binman Jul 28th 2006 7:06 am

Hi Amanda. Opposite Howick bus depot and 30 yards from Jansens pet shop on Ti Rakau Drive you will find a coffee shop that will blow you away. They sell exotic loose tea by the 100 gram also. Try their flat white. Cheers binman

thebears Jul 28th 2006 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Amanda

Is there not a Barista competition between NZ and Oz this coming month?

SarahB Jul 28th 2006 8:47 am

Originally Posted by ex geordie
Hi Sarah I have found very few nice biscuits here so can you recommend some PLEASE :) Linda

Oh gosh Linda.... youre talking to the worlds sweetest tooth here... I like most sweet things. I like all the chocolatey ones like the tim tams.... we had some others at PlayGroup this morning.... squiggles or something? I like the Cookie Bear biscuits (and so does littlun!!!)... I like the Mothers Earth range... I like LCMs.... you see I like most of it... I was amazed at the vast range of biscuits in the shops when I got here and the lack of choice for other things. The ETA Lamb and Mint crisps are good and also some Cheddar & Onion ones (same make) but I dont see them very often.

bookemjano Jul 28th 2006 9:32 am

Originally Posted by ex geordie

Arnott's Scotch Fingers - lovely thick chocolate, I think you're meant to snap them into two but they're much better 'king size'! And they don't go soggy when you dunk them. Yum yum.

xpat19 Jul 28th 2006 9:51 am

I'm with you Amanda - it's really hard to find a bad cup of coffee ( unless you go to Starbucks ! ) We've just got back form a holiday in Aus and the coffee wasn't half as good

sadie33138 Jul 29th 2006 4:38 am

Absolutely addicted and one of the things I will miss when I return to the US next week after two years of daily cappuchino or flat white. Best downtown Auckland cappuchino IMHO is in the Westfield Shopping Centre opposite Britomart, small cafe on level one opposite Postie's before you take the escalator up to the Warehouse, can't remember the name of it but the barista is Tony. Coffees here can vary quite a bit in quality but Tony makes a killer cap. :p

Also, thebears, check here for the upcoming finals of the NZ barista competition & the faceoff with Australia:
http://www.coffeefestival.co.nz/