Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anybody in Waitakere??

Anybody in Waitakere??

Old Oct 27th 2005, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Dizibella is a jewel in the roughDizibella is a jewel in the roughDizibella is a jewel in the roughDizibella is a jewel in the rough
Question Anybody in Waitakere??

Hiya all

We've fallen in love with the idea (yep, we've not been yet!!!) of living in Waitakere, maybe somewhere nearthis fab looking primary school in Laingholm. They have spaces for our two kids, so we would love to try and live nearbyish. Any thoughts on the area, sort of Titirangi to Cornwallis and up to Woodlands Park inc Laingholm itself?? Any info at all would be fantastic... we are going to Auckland next Easter, lock, stock etc etc.... so all info gathered before is going to really help.

My OH also really wants a change from car commuting and would love to be able to cycle or bus to the CBD, how realistic is this.... it looks 'do-able' on a couple of city info sites but I always think that info from the forum is more reliable?!!

Once again, thanks for any advice

All the best

Suki
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anybody in Waitakere??

Originally Posted by Dizibella
Hiya all

We've fallen in love with the idea (yep, we've not been yet!!!) of living in Waitakere, maybe somewhere nearthis fab looking primary school in Laingholm. They have spaces for our two kids, so we would love to try and live nearbyish. Any thoughts on the area, sort of Titirangi to Cornwallis and up to Woodlands Park inc Laingholm itself?? Any info at all would be fantastic... we are going to Auckland next Easter, lock, stock etc etc.... so all info gathered before is going to really help.

My OH also really wants a change from car commuting and would love to be able to cycle or bus to the CBD, how realistic is this.... it looks 'do-able' on a couple of city info sites but I always think that info from the forum is more reliable?!!

Once again, thanks for any advice

All the best

Suki
Used to live in Titirangi...check out my post on bugs...

Really loved living there in the summer but struggled big time in the winter..
When looking at houses you really have to consider the bush around it..where is it in relation to the sun ..which side of a hill if you on one is the house...I say this because we rented at lovely place, put during three months of the winter due to the surrounding bush the sun didn't get high enough in the sky to get our house.

You won't be cycling to the CBD unless you are an Olympian!!!! I have never used the bus service but have seen buses early in the morning goin to downtown.

By car though I would say you looking at maybe a 50min-1 hour commute in rush hour. to the CBD.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice
Default Re: Anybody in Waitakere??

Hi. We're in Swanson, Waitakere which is semi rural and near Bethells beach. We used to live in near Laingholm and thought it was a lovely area, close to the beach and with a shop, and chip shop.
Also nice and close to Titirangi Village which is good for restaurants, although the one supermarket is being closed soon.
We were really pleased with the local junior and intermediate schols that our son went to there ( Kaurilands and Glen Eden intermediate)
I don't think the bugs are as bad in Swanson, we don't have the cockroaches & Wetas in the house like we did in Titirangi & it doesn
t seem as damp. There is a village in Swanson, with a cafe and art gallery, also a train station with ( another ) nice cafe. You can get the train, or bus to the CBD from there and i think it takes around 50 minutes. I work near the harbour bridge and it takes me 45 - 50 minutes to get there.
Hope that hasn't confused you ! Swanson is around 25 minutes from Laingholm.