Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is anybody here working for an acredited employer? (Carpenter)

Is anybody here working for an acredited employer? (Carpenter)

Old Jun 20th 2012, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Chippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really nice
Default Is anybody here working for an acredited employer? (Carpenter)

Hi, am getting desperate to get a visa, the only way in the I can see to get in as a carpenter (not on any of the shortages lists) is if I can get a job with an accreditted employer then go for work to residency.
Has anybody gone down this route and have any usefull knowledge they could impart, my major concern is that the visa is going to be tied to the one job and employer so if it all goes tits up im out.....
Old Jun 20th 2012, 11:01 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Is anybody here working for an acredited employer? (Carpenter)

Hi there.
Have you re-trained as a joiner or carpenter then?

Even if this trade isn't on the shortage list , any NZ employer in this trade could offer you a job. They would just need to prove that there was o NZ citizen or resident that could take up that employment. You would need the trade quals though &/or work exp.

Christchurch may be a place to look , although from what I hear coming out of there via the trades, it's sloooow to start.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sign Maker Giles
Hi, am getting desperate to get a visa, the only way in the I can see to get in as a carpenter (not on any of the shortages lists) is if I can get a job with an accreditted employer then go for work to residency.
Has anybody gone down this route and have any usefull knowledge they could impart, my major concern is that the visa is going to be tied to the one job and employer so if it all goes tits up im out.....
Hi - have pm'd you.

Have you looked at this list http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...loyersList.htm and contacted any of them re employment?
Old Jun 21st 2012, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Chippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really nice

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hi there.
Have you re-trained as a joiner or carpenter then?

Even if this trade isn't on the shortage list , any NZ employer in this trade could offer you a job. They would just need to prove that there was o NZ citizen or resident that could take up that employment. You would need the trade quals though &/or work exp.
Hi, yes I went back to college and did my NVQ 2 and 3 in carpentry, while being self employed - have mainly only been working for about 3 or 4 firms though. Carpentry dropped off the shortages list when i was a few months into my course.....
Really should change my username i expect...
Old Jun 21st 2012, 10:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Sign Maker Giles
Hi, yes I went back to college and did my NVQ 2 and 3 in carpentry, while being self employed - have mainly only been working for about 3 or 4 firms though. Carpentry dropped off the shortages list when i was a few months into my course.....
Really should change my username i expect...
If you wish to change the username, send me a PM with your chosen new username.

Well done on retraining and super fair play to you. People like you so deserve to come and live in Nz for your commitment. I'm just so sorry the trade dropped off the list.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

You've got to laugh is the second time its happened to us - my other half is a primary teacher......
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 4:51 am
Just Joined

Ricky reef is an unknown quantity at this point

Without sounding negative , please check if you can the money you will earn here , I don't know your circumstances obviously , but please do your homework , wages are nowhere near what you may earn in UK .
Old Jun 24th 2012, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ricky reef
Without sounding negative , please check if you can the money you will earn here , I don't know your circumstances obviously , but please do your homework , wages are nowhere near what you may earn in UK .
We should be ok, but trying to get salary figures out of NZ companies is like getting blood out of a stone + i'll have to be employed rather than a self employed subbie so i'm not going to be able to put down anywhere near as many expenses, which will take some getting used to. Depending on the exchange rate we hope to be pretty much mortgage free
Old Jun 25th 2012, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Sign maker , we have similar stories , I presently work for a building company in Auckland , employed , no transport provided - you make your own way to site/ residential address , long hours if you are on a budget (price) working in a gang , possible trial period on lower rate , different materials and methods etc . Big change going back to being employed rather than being a subbie . If the job is done inside your normal hours for the day , you either book the hours worked ( ie 6 hours instead of 8 ) or drag the job out for the day to increase your money , no job and knock in other words . Hourly rates range from 18 - 24 dollars , I calculated it will take me a month to earn what I did in the UK in a week . And in my job if you are rained off , no pay . Giles , hope this isn't too much of a shock , just being straight from my experiences so far .
Old Jun 25th 2012, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Used to the no pay when you are rained off bit! What trade are you in mate?
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:08 am
Just Joined

Plastering and all that encompasses UK style , not the same here though . Back home now , rained off , chucking it down in Orewa ! .