Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anybody here have motorbikes?

Anybody here have motorbikes?

Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:27 am
Just Joined

2005mike71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Anybody here have motorbikes?

Hi, I've been looking at offroading in NZ and i am defiantly going to be getting a bike when i go. Is it worth buying the gear over here and taking it with me? I've had a look around on trade me and a few other forums for bikers but there doesn't seem to be much out there, and good named brands are a bit expensive.

Has anybody done this, what do you think, and has anybody taken bikes too?

Cheers Mike
Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:34 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody here have motorbikes?

Originally Posted by 2005mike71
Hi, I've been looking at offroading in NZ and i am defiantly going to be getting a bike when i go. Is it worth buying the gear over here and taking it with me? I've had a look around on trade me and a few other forums for bikers but there doesn't seem to be much out there, and good named brands are a bit expensive.

Cheers Mike
Hi Mike get on this site and ask again

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

We have bikes but not off roaders....

We will be taking new gear to NZ but not the bikes themselves.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 11:30 am
Just Joined

thanks just found that website.

how much gear are you taking?
Old Jan 1st 2011, 11:40 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks just found that website.

how much gear are you taking?
I will be selling my Blackbird and wife selling her VTec and kit will be (each)
2 helmets (1 current 1 new) new boots, existing leather trousers, leather jacket, fabric jacket, fabric trousers, gloves, thermals and some soft luggage and paddock stand. Will be looking for something lighter and naked maybe Triumph Street Triples.....
When the NZ contingent eventually wake up you will be getting more replies....

Last edited by Stormer999; Jan 1st 2011 at 11:42 am.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

We find helmets expensive here, but some kit is OK - I just bought an excellent pair of road/race gloves and they were an OK price.

I brought my bike, Neil did not as it was too new and would have attracted import tax, but we now regret that as it is to expensive here to replace what he had and with hindsight....

Jan

EDIT: yes to answer you I brought one. It was easy. Apart from having to put the quiet exhaust system on to get Compliance for New Zealand, which was a nuisance. The noisy Yoshi is back on now and no-one bats an eyelid at the WOF test place
Old Jan 1st 2011, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Buy in the uk and bring it over, bike kit is either expensive or poor quality here.
Bear in mind if you ride in the summer it is VERY warm so dress appropriately
and the same goes for the winter, it doesnt get so cold but it does get wet and boggy
Old Jan 1st 2011, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

There are shitloads of offroad bikes for sale down here and they dont cost the earth.
Its down to what you want, latest spec new is about the same as in the uk.
If you want to do a bit of road/offroad stuff then you need a bike that can be rego'd
most dirt bikes here dont have vin plates so cant be converted to road use should
you want to do more enduro style stuff
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Boots and helmets are going to be the biggest saving i think. Pants and shirts are pretty well priced. Bikes aswell, looks like you can get a good one for 4-5k. I should be ok putting new boots and helmet in my case won't I ?

are there plenty of places around you to go trailing?

Last edited by 2005mike71; Jan 2nd 2011 at 8:32 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:55 am

http://www.dirt-bike-tips-and-pics.c...w-zealand.html
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Iv,e answered you on Kiwi Biker i,m triple bee on there

Neil
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Mike
Hi Mike,

Will get the OH to answer this when he gets home from work.
We have been motocrossing for 26-27 years now and brought some stuff with us but the bike from NZ.
OH will let you know about tracks and stuff, but my 1 piece of advice is make sure any boots/body armour/helmets are THOROUGHLY cleaned, and I do mean thoroughly. We scrubbed ours up with a jet wash and some bleedin hard manual scrubbing with a bit of bleach...got through customs okely dokely, no MAF charges for us lot.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

there are organised tracks everywhere pretty much all year long.
they tend to have a small entrance fee but they cater for kids/novices/ experts
and they circuits are anything from 5 to 35 km long

this is your best place to look for whats available http://www.silver-bullet.co.nz/
and the guys on KB will always put you right.

I'm hunting for a dr/ttr 250/350 at the moment to kit out and tour the south island on
feel free to join me if you get sorted.

Last edited by Justcol; Jan 4th 2011 at 7:11 am.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:54 am
Just Joined

thanks for all the advice ppl. its all a big help.

When are you thinking of touring colin? i havn't done much offroading to be honest which is why i want to get into it over there. I have only done road racing/supermoto. Im going out there in march, can't wait
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

i havn't done much offroading to be honest which is why i want to get into it over there
Your in the same boat as me then. my only offroad was an xr400 that i had for about 6 months in the uk.
I'm in no rush to go, i havent got the bike yet but riding with someone is always more fun.
If your up for it keep in touch and we can sort something out for sometime this year.
Cant anymore specific than that.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

sounds good. i'll keep in touch on kiwibiker, i've added you on there. I don't have anything planned out for when i get there yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.