Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anybody going in january 2007?

Anybody going in january 2007?

Old Sep 18th 2006, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all
Default Re: Anybody going in january 2007?

Originally Posted by stacey19
we are flying on the 23rd of january from london to Christchurch, we wanted to go from manchester but we can't now due to lack of seats...i wish we would have booked even earlier but oh well.........
We are flying with Singapore with a departure time of 18:15, if you see a blonde haired woman screaming at her two toddlers and a bald stressed out dad, come over and say hello!!! Seriously though, Can anybody give me any advise on flying in general? We are a family who has never flown before (eeeeeeeeek! :scared: !!!!!!!!) can anybody talk us through the whole process of arriving at check it to what happens right up until we step foot in christchurch????? We don't do things by halves do we???? hehe

Thank you all so much xxxx

Hi Stacey. A few tips for you on flying our here:

1) You have chosen a great airline and Singapore Airport is probably the best of the choice for the trip. If you have a few hours in the airport at Singapore then you can rent a hotel room by the hours and get freshened up and showered etc. Great if you've got children. There is also a free (I think) swimming pool inside the transit area of the airport, free email terminals and lots good food places. Everyone speaks excellent English so, all round it's not a bad experience. You will not need Singapore dollars if you've got a credit card. If you do get cash the they accept NZ dollars at almost all the shops and cafes. There is also a supermarket inside the transit area of the airport where you can get essentials. There is even a cinema if your stop over is even longer.

2) Your ticket will say that there is a 20 KG limit on your baggage. In fact Singapore airlines will let you take up to 25KG in each case. If they are heavier than this then they occasionally get a bit sniffy because some of the baggage handlers won't lift anything over 25KG. The only thing you cant take on the London to Singapore leg of the flight is liquids and gels. Everything esle is much the same but the hand baggage size limit has been dramatically reduced so don't take big bags.

3) when you pack your luggage then make absolutely certain that you have cleaned any trainers or walking boots till they are sparkling. Declare them on the MAF (Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries) form as you land in NZ. Don't try and get them through because MAf x-ray your bags after Customs and they get really sniffy if you haven't decalred them. Also don't take food of any kind in your case or hand baggage. If you take some with you in your handbaggage then make sure you dump it in the bins BEFORE you get to baggage collection. The MAF people have sniffer dogs in there and they WILL find any fruit etc that you have in your bags. I had dumped some fruit in Singapore when I was on my way out but the dogs still barked at my bag when I got to Auckland. Fines for breaking this rule are high (thousands of dollars!).

4) If you've got children then immigration is pretty quick. Unlike the US the staff are friendly and welcoming. Make sure you fill out the arrival forms on the plane before you land. The flight crew will give you these forms.

I hope this helps. Give me a shout if you need any more advice. I seem to have travelled most places in the World and NZ is quite easy by comparison to some places!

Good luck ....
Old Sep 19th 2006, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PaulGent
Hi Stacey. A few tips for you on flying our here:

1) You have chosen a great airline and Singapore Airport is probably the best of the choice for the trip. If you have a few hours in the airport at Singapore then you can rent a hotel room by the hours and get freshened up and showered etc. Great if you've got children. There is also a free (I think) swimming pool inside the transit area of the airport, free email terminals and lots good food places. Everyone speaks excellent English so, all round it's not a bad experience. You will not need Singapore dollars if you've got a credit card. If you do get cash the they accept NZ dollars at almost all the shops and cafes. There is also a supermarket inside the transit area of the airport where you can get essentials. There is even a cinema if your stop over is even longer.

2) Your ticket will say that there is a 20 KG limit on your baggage. In fact Singapore airlines will let you take up to 25KG in each case. If they are heavier than this then they occasionally get a bit sniffy because some of the baggage handlers won't lift anything over 25KG. The only thing you cant take on the London to Singapore leg of the flight is liquids and gels. Everything esle is much the same but the hand baggage size limit has been dramatically reduced so don't take big bags.

3) when you pack your luggage then make absolutely certain that you have cleaned any trainers or walking boots till they are sparkling. Declare them on the MAF (Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries) form as you land in NZ. Don't try and get them through because MAf x-ray your bags after Customs and they get really sniffy if you haven't decalred them. Also don't take food of any kind in your case or hand baggage. If you take some with you in your handbaggage then make sure you dump it in the bins BEFORE you get to baggage collection. The MAF people have sniffer dogs in there and they WILL find any fruit etc that you have in your bags. I had dumped some fruit in Singapore when I was on my way out but the dogs still barked at my bag when I got to Auckland. Fines for breaking this rule are high (thousands of dollars!).

4) If you've got children then immigration is pretty quick. Unlike the US the staff are friendly and welcoming. Make sure you fill out the arrival forms on the plane before you land. The flight crew will give you these forms.

I hope this helps. Give me a shout if you need any more advice. I seem to have travelled most places in the World and NZ is quite easy by comparison to some places!

Good luck ....
Nice one Paul, there are some very good points there for the first timer!
Old Sep 19th 2006, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jude J
Nice one Paul, there are some very good points there for the first timer!

Agree,thanks Paul. Think we're going via Singapore,to top post that mate.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

We're going to Centre Parcs in the lakes for the weekend of 15th Dec,anyone want to meet up? If so,giz a PM,or summat!
Old Sep 19th 2006, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by danny.f
We're going to Centre Parcs in the lakes for the weekend of 15th Dec,anyone want to meet up? If so,giz a PM,or summat!

Yes me, I want to meet up with the danny family. Can you shout me a flight?