British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Any of you a QS/Estimator in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/any-you-qs-estimator-nz-777215/)

Padycosforbos Nov 10th 2012 3:09 pm

Any of you a QS/Estimator in NZ

I could do with 'a man on the ground' so to speak to fill me in ;)

Ok, I am getting near to negotiations ( hope I dont jinx it by this!) but I have no clue about the dosh... Its a senior role - and the recruitment process has been - still is, tough! They know what they want alright... I'm in my mid 40's and this is a life move for me n the mrs, has to at the cost of bringing our dogs over! Can anyone give me a rough salary scale for an experienced QS please? The rents look pretty steep - and I want a pretty good standard of living/quality of life so its needs to be good salary, also what are the standard packages (do most companys offer a car/health insurance etc) and what kind of relocation package, has anyone had one and what did it cover?? Sorry folks lots of questions, just abit clueless:o and would like some idea of what to expect.

Thanks a million :D

Woodlea Nov 11th 2012 8:14 am

Re: Any of you a QS/Estimator in NZ

I'm not a QS/Estimator but can put you in touch with one who can give you an indication of what to expect in Christchurch. From my experience $80k would be a good salary here for a QS/Estimator but don't expect any extras from your employer. This would give you a reasonable standard of living but the quality of life would be up to you. It really depends on where you are going to in NZ. Good luck :)

PS. A colleague got a $5k relocation package from Scotland to Chch, which didn't really cover the cost but was a welcome help.

Padycosforbos Nov 11th 2012 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Woodlea (Post 10376679)
I'm not a QS/Estimator but can put you in touch with one who can give you an indication of what to expect in Christchurch. From my experience $80k would be a good salary here for a QS/Estimator but don't expect any extras from your employer. This would give you a reasonable standard of living but the quality of life would be up to you. It really depends on where you are going to in NZ. Good luck :)

PS. A colleague got a $5k relocation package from Scotland to Chch, which didn't really cover the cost but was a welcome help.

Thank you - Have to say I would be looking for a fair bit more that:( this company seems a serious player, they currently have me working on a test estimate (which will take me a week of slog - plus I have my current job here to do..) my jaw would drop if thats what the offer was.. I appreciate your help - ad if you could put me in contact with a QS that would be a great, I dont want to waste 40 hours of my time - nor waste the companys time if we are singing to different hymnsheets.

Cheers
Paddy

Charlie Paynter Nov 11th 2012 1:26 pm

I was a QS (until I re-qualified as a Lawyer :eek:!). I emigrated to NZ in late 1998 (based in Auckland), and came back in 2001, but have visited NZ a couple of times since then, and have kept in touch (at arms length) with the market and economy.

When I first arrived in Auckland, I had a number of interviews (building was booming then), and I can say I was shocked at the salary levels on offer from the big boys (Hartners, Mainzeal, Fletchers etc), the non-existent packages (no health care or pension), and the relatively low levels of seniority when compared to the UK. And QS firms are even worse.

The last time I was in Auckland was about 4 years ago, and I did catch up with the QS market, and I bet Woodlea is not that far off with the salary level etc. A senior level may be able to command around $100k in Auckland.

Paddy, do not fool yourself. If you are not going to be financially secure when you go to NZ, you need to think long and hard. Even the hours that you are expected to work - 60hrs per week in the construction industry - is not out of the ordinary.

Woodlea Nov 11th 2012 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Padycosforbos (Post 10376931)
Thank you - Have to say I would be looking for a fair bit more that:( this company seems a serious player, they currently have me working on a test estimate (which will take me a week of slog - plus I have my current job here to do..) my jaw would drop if thats what the offer was.. I appreciate your help - ad if you could put me in contact with a QS that would be a great, I dont want to waste 40 hours of my time - nor waste the companys time if we are singing to different hymnsheets.

Cheers
Paddy

I saw elsewhere that you are looking at AKL so as mpg says you will get more there.
I'll PM you the email address of the QS I mentioned, he's a fellow Irishman too.
Cheers.

Padycosforbos Nov 11th 2012 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Woodlea (Post 10377144)
I saw elsewhere that you are looking at AKL so as mpg says you will get more there.
I'll PM you the email address of the QS I mentioned, he's a fellow Irishman too.
Cheers.

Thank you very much! If I do take the job we must meet up - and the first pints on me;)

Cheers.