British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Any tips for some gas related issues? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/any-tips-some-gas-related-issues-774545/)

zaras dad Oct 14th 2012 6:44 am

Any tips for some gas related issues?
 
Hi,

Have suddenly experienced 2 "issues".
1) Our gas oven will not remain lit. Normally you have to press in the temperature control button when the gas is being lit. You hold in the button in for a few seconds then the gas remains lit .................not anymore. It goes out = no oven cooking. (normal hobs all work ok)

2) The bath has for some reason changed status ie cold water out of the hot and vice-versa. All other taps in the house are ok and working as they should.

The 2 things have happened today. Surely it cant be storm/wind related can it. The gas in this house produces instantaneous hot water as opposed to having a boiler.

Any ideas?

hazeandsteve Oct 14th 2012 7:03 am

Re: Any tips for some gas related issues?
 
Have you been plumbing?

Genesis Oct 14th 2012 7:08 am

Re: Any tips for some gas related issues?
 

Originally Posted by zaras dad (Post 10329695)
Hi,

Have suddenly experienced 2 "issues".
1) Our gas oven will not remain lit. Normally you have to press in the temperature control button when the gas is being lit. You hold in the button in for a few seconds then the gas remains lit .................not anymore. It goes out = no oven cooking. (normal hobs all work ok)

2) The bath has for some reason changed status ie cold water out of the hot and vice-versa. All other taps in the house are ok and working as they should.

The 2 things have happened today. Surely it cant be storm/wind related can it. The gas in this house produces instantaneous hot water as opposed to having a boiler.

Any ideas?

The gas oven sounds like a thermostat kind of issue, ovens (like boilers I think) have a little probey thermostat thing that works (opens the gas flow)when its heated up and it keeps the gas flowing. If it breaks it will remain shut and the gas is shut off...it keeps you safe in the event of the gas blowing itself out (during a cook) and thus if this thingy did not shut off you would have gas pumping out after the flames went out during a cooking session.

As for your taps swapping hot to cold and cold to hot that is WEIRD. No wind event would do that!! PM Bevs, her man is a plumber and I am sure he will have some ideas for you on both issues.

NB your hobs will work off separate thermostats.

Genesis Oct 14th 2012 7:11 am

Re: Any tips for some gas related issues?
 

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 10329729)
The gas oven sounds like a thermostat kind of issue, ovens (like boilers I think) have a little probey thermostat thing that works (opens the gas flow)when its heated up and it keeps the gas flowing. If it breaks it will remain shut and the gas is shut off...it keeps you safe in the event of the gas blowing itself out (during a cook) and thus if this thingy did not shut off you would have gas pumping out after the flames went out during a cooking session.

As for your taps swapping hot to cold and cold to hot that is WEIRD. No wind event would do that!! PM Bevs, her man is a plumber and I am sure he will have some ideas for you on both issues.

NB your hobs will work off separate thermostats.

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbin...-tap-4277.html

The above may help???? Good luck.

zaras dad Oct 14th 2012 7:12 am

Re: Any tips for some gas related issues?
 

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 10329729)
The gas oven sounds like a thermostat kind of issue, ovens (like boilers I think) have a little probey thermostat thing that works (opens the gas flow)when its heated up and it keeps the gas flowing. If it breaks it will remain shut and the gas is shut off...it keeps you safe in the event of the gas blowing itself out (during a cook) and thus if this thingy did not shut off you would have gas pumping out after the flames went out during a cooking session.

As for your taps swapping hot to cold and cold to hot that is WEIRD. No wind event would do that!! PM Bevs, her man is a plumber and I am sure he will have some ideas for you on both issues.

NB your hobs will work off separate thermostats.

yep wierd indeed. Re the oven . I tried again earlier and i closed the oven door whilst holding the temperature knob in, and on letting go the oven continued to work ....................for a little while...........only to go off again.

confused.com

lardyl Oct 15th 2012 3:26 am

Re: Any tips for some gas related issues?
 

Originally Posted by zaras dad (Post 10329732)
yep wierd indeed. Re the oven . I tried again earlier and i closed the oven door whilst holding the temperature knob in, and on letting go the oven continued to work ....................for a little while...........only to go off again.

confused.com

flame failure device could be stuffed as Genesis says

could get a poor flame picture/stability due to problem with the burner, a cracked burner bar could do both depending on where the FFD is located

could be poor gas pressure from a regulator - are you on reticulated (mains) gas or lpg (cylinders)?

is your water heated by a gas burner or an immersion heater, not sure why one set of taps has the how water reveresed......??

I'd suggest getting a registered gas fitter to look at it. Better safe than sorry. Had a couple of fires from broken burner bars in gas boilers/commercial fryers.

Vitalstatistix Oct 15th 2012 5:22 am

Re: Any tips for some gas related issues?
 
Change your diet & eat more slowly. :scarper:

sparkie down under Oct 15th 2012 7:50 am

Re: Any tips for some gas related issues?
 
the oven could well be a thermocoupler - easy fix - but you are not allowed to do it yourself here, (this is kiwi land you are considered to be too stupid to do basic mechanical work, so bend over and prepare to be shafted).:thumbdown:

As for the taps - what are you drinking???:rofl: Could be a mixed issue and poor gas pressure but PM bev - her better half is a plumber and loves to give free advice:rofl::rofl::rofl: (sorry Bev)

cappuccino Oct 15th 2012 11:32 am

Re: Any tips for some gas related issues?
 

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10331173)
Change your diet & eat more slowly. :scarper:

;) that's what I thought this thread was going to be about :rofl:

BEVS Oct 15th 2012 10:26 pm

Re: Any tips for some gas related issues?
 

Originally Posted by sparkie down under (Post 10331308)
t PM bev - her better half is a plumber and loves to give free advice:rofl: (sorry Bev)

:p

I'll ask him when he's back.

zaras dad Oct 21st 2012 9:05 am

Re: Any tips for some gas related issues?
 
fantastic - spoke to a friend of the Mrs who is a handy man. He also mentioned thermocouple so I opened up the oven (first time for everything) and sandpapered the doobryfirkin whatdayamacallit, tightened the nut ....and hey presto its working again.

Thanks for your help guys n gals

simonsi Oct 21st 2012 10:46 am

Re: Any tips for some gas related issues?
 
Re the hot/cold water, is this out of a mixer tap? If so I suspect the valve innards have turned on the lever somehow....

If not that then it could be the upcoming planetary alignment? :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:31 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.