Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

any tips to moving to newzealand

any tips to moving to newzealand

Old Dec 5th 2003, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

antony.p is an unknown quantity at this point
Default any tips to moving to newzealand

hi to every one ive had a job offer in nz can any one help or give me any tips so i can move out as quick as pos
Old Dec 5th 2003, 9:03 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Get your visa app in as soon as possible - police checks could take up to 50 days and then Work to Residence processing is 6-8 weeks after that so you might be better going out on a temp work permit and then applying for PR under the new Skilled Migrant policy which will have opened when you get there.

What's the job and where is it?
Old Dec 5th 2003, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

hi working for nzair in auckland cant wait to get out there
Old Dec 5th 2003, 9:11 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: any tips to moving to newzealand

Originally posted by antony.p
hi to every one ive had a job offer in nz can any one help or give me any tips so i can move out as quick as pos
Hi there,

The work to residence category takes approx 2 1/2 years..there is no quick route until the new SMC comes in, whereupon, if you are selected, you can apply for residence. As you have to have character references etc done to lodge an interest for the new SMC, the theory is that it takes less time to be approved.

My advice would be to get out here and make sure that the job comes off before you ship everything...we were in the same position..got here, then the offer was withdrawn as the GS category was removed. Hence, we're here with everything we own and we have to return to the UK now.

regards, Rich.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 9:16 pm
Kiwified member

Hello Mr GD - sorry but 2 1/2 years processing for WtoR??!! NZIS told me it would take 6-8 weeks?

Antony - Mr GD is right though - make sure of the job before you start shifting anything.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

hi had a contract to sign and have sent it back they are also paying for me and my belongings to get to nz
Old Dec 5th 2003, 9:20 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Pollster
Hello Mr GD - sorry but 2 1/2 years processing for WtoR??!! NZIS told me it would take 6-8 weeks?

Antony - Mr GD is right though - make sure of the job before you start shifting anything.
Hi Pollster,

Yes, accoring to the NZIS here in Wellington, you have to be in the job for 2 years, then you get automatic residency .. which takes anything up to 6 months (could be 6-8 weeks in reality I guess). Before, you could apply with the job offer because it gave you the points you needed to get PR - hence those that have PR prior to moving to NZ. For this to be the case now, you'd need to qualify under the new SMC.

regards, Rich.

With a contract you should be ok, but that would be your decision.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 9:21 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I would think/hope that your employer will be able to sort out the relevant visas etc...

Perhaps if you have any more specific questions you need answers to we can help some more....
Old Dec 5th 2003, 9:27 pm
Kiwified member

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Hi Pollster,

Yes, accoring to the NZIS here in Wellington, you have to be in the job for 2 years, then you get automatic residency .. which takes anything up to 6 months (could be 6-8 weeks in reality I guess). Before, you could apply with the job offer because it gave you the points you needed to get PR - hence those that have PR prior to moving to NZ. For this to be the case now, you'd need to qualify under the new SMC.

regards, Rich.

With a contract you should be ok, but that would be your decision.

OOOOH - I see - no I was talking about getting the actual WtoR visa - yes it takes two years to qualify for residency and I suppose there would be some processing time at the end of things.

Yes it does make things a bit riskier now - we are moving out on a temp work visa and then applying under the new SMC - makes me feel a little bit insecure but there is no other way to do it - Hubby's employers know that is the plan and are providing the 'can't give a job to a kiwi' evidence so I shouldn't think the rug will be pulled like with you guys.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

they have said the visa side i have to sort out really what im after is some advise on where to start i dont want to get tideup in paper work just what is the best way of going about this what forms to fill in as there are so many different ways to appy do you understand me or am i making it complcated for my self
Old Dec 5th 2003, 9:36 pm
Kiwified member

they have said the visa side i have to sort out really what im after is some advise on where to start i dont want to get tideup in paper work just what is the best way of going about this what forms to fill in as there are so many different ways to appy do you understand me or am i making it complcated for my self

Basically, it depends on when you have to start.

The quickest one to get is a temporary work visa - this is one where your employers need to prove they couldn't hire a kiwi but you don't need to wait for police check or meds.

Or there is the Work to Residence visa - you will need to download the Guide to Working in New Zealand off the NZIS website for this one as there are lots of different strands and you will need to see if you fit into one of them. If you do go for this visa, you get it - go to NZ, work for two years and then apply for Permenent Residency which is prettymuch automatically given, as far as I can work out.

The final way is the Skilled MIgrant category - this involves tendering an interest, they assess the number of points you have got, put you in a pool, if you have got some of the highest points in the pool, you get pulled out and invited to make an application.

Things are still a little hazy with this one because it isn't actually open yet - it starts at the end of December and the first pool assessment isn't until the end of January, so you would be waiting prob two months before you could even get an application in.

Re trying to avoid papaerwork - no chance, mate - you just need to log on to the NZIS website and read the whole blimmin lot and work out what you have ot do - either that or hire an agent!!

Hope this helps at least a bit.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 9:50 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Get there as quickly as you flippin well can! is all the advise I can offer ... Im following my own advise will hopefully be there end of January.. Christchurch... Hubby,me and 3 sons
Good Luck
Old Dec 5th 2003, 9:54 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

hi working for nzair in auckland cant wait to get out there
Poor bugger going to Auckland.
Old Dec 6th 2003, 9:42 am
Just Joined

thank you ive started reading the pages thanks for your help
Old Dec 6th 2003, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by sky
Get there as quickly as you flippin well can! is all the advise I can offer ... Im following my own advise will hopefully be there end of January.. Christchurch... Hubby,me and 3 sons
Good Luck
im going as quick as i can the uk is prop the most depressing place to live. live to work NO im working to live good luck how have you gone about the immigration ?what route havv you taken eg have you used the offices here in the uk or tried to use the ones in nz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.