Reload this Page >

Any thoughts on Wanganui

Any thoughts on Wanganui

Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

cal3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any thoughts on Wanganui

Hi there

Im thinking of coming out to wanganui with my family , last year we lived in Tauranga for a year , but found the whole experience too expensive. We came back to the UK and are now thinking of returning to a cheaper area and selling our house. Have you visited Wanganui , can you shead some light on things for us - we are very much family orientated and would see a decent house being central to our return , not too worried about beaches as we can always travel etc .

Look forward to your comments -

chris
Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:41 pm

ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any thoughts on Wanganui

Originally Posted by cal3
Hi there

Im thinking of coming out to wanganui with my family , last year we lived in Tauranga for a year , but found the whole experience too expensive. We came back to the UK and are now thinking of returning to a cheaper area and selling our house. Have you visited Wanganui , can you shead some light on things for us - we are very much family orientated and would see a decent house being central to our return , not too worried about beaches as we can always travel etc .

Look forward to your comments -

chris
Hi Cal

I lived in Wanganui for 20 years - moved there when my kids were 2 and 4. House prices are much cheaper although they have gone up quite a bit in the last year. It's a fairly quiet place but it's also fairly central - only 2 and a half hours to Wellington . I was back there a month ago and it had quite a positive feel about it. Definitely cheaper than the main centres or Napier where I currently live. Good luck!
Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Never been there but never heard anything bad. Imagine a bit rainier than Tauranga as on the West Coast. Only a short hop to Mt Ruapehu for skiing and River Wanganui for rafting. Close to Palmerston North for flights to Oz and Fiji (not that you'd want to leave NZ of course. Told that New Plymouth nicer though.

Of interest did you return to UK thinking it was permanent as NZ didn't suit then to find that it was preferable to UK?
Roger
Old Mar 16th 2005, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

I've got relatives there so been a few times - i quite like the place. Housing is really cheap but its starting to go up as investers are moving in. St Johns Hill is where the best houses seem to be - you'd get something really nice for $300k. There is a beach just out of town but its not that great. Not sure what you do for work there either.