Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any teachers out there?

Any teachers out there?

Old Feb 18th 2007, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

backdraftuk will become famous soon enoughbackdraftuk will become famous soon enough
Default Any teachers out there?

We have decided to try to move to NZ but for a number of reasons it will not be straight forward.

First thing we need to sort out is how much I will be paid, I know with a Degree and PGCE I should start at G3+E but who will decide how far up the scale I will be, based on my experience, is it NZQA or NZTC?

Because of my love hate relationship with teaching I have done some full-time and a lot of part-time teaching. Here in the UK I am at M6 by virtue of several years of full time teaching and a couple of years part-time at an FE college. But none of the work I did for supply agencies counted. So it's not clear how much credit I will get in NZ.

NZQA asks for employment history but is this just to establish QTS or do they actually decide the pay scale point based on your experience. Alternatively do NZQA establish your entry point then NZTC add on the experience points? If it is the latter I will send off both NZQA and NZTC forms now to speed things up a little, but if its the former I will wait for the NZQA to get back to me before I spend any more money.

Steve.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice
Default Re: Any teachers out there?

Hi there

I don't THINK that the nzqa have anything to do with your payscale - my dp's was all worked out by the MOE via his school, and his head determined what management points he should be awarded, plus how many 'units' he qualifies for.

The MOE needed proof of previous salary and experience once we'd got here - as I said in another thread that was ON TOP of everything that we'd already provided to the NZQA and was also once dp had started his job, so for a few months he was on the basic starting salary for non qualified teachers (around $22k). pay was backdated however.

SF
Old Feb 18th 2007, 6:06 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

Just had my NZQA done and despite asking for details of all teaching service (in writing from employers) they only gave equivalent qualifications....
Old Feb 18th 2007, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

But I think that's the whole point - that's all that the NZQA DO do. Salary is assessed/awarded by the school and the MOE.

SF