British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Any T2 Diabetics in the forum? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/any-t2-diabetics-forum-873496/)

LittleGreyCat Feb 29th 2016 6:38 pm

Any T2 Diabetics in the forum?

One of the many things you take for granted in the UK is free prescriptions for anyone needing drugs to treat a chronic (that is, long term not necessarily severe) illness.

I was just wondering how people managed for drugs and test strips.
Assuming you are on drugs and use a BG tester.

Also, how much a blood test and diabetic review is likely to cost.

Mark Smith Feb 29th 2016 7:22 pm

Re: Any T2 Diabetics in the forum?

I've just checked with our nurse manager (medical centre in Chch). Probably will differ from region to region, so please don't take this as gospel.

Type 2 stable control HBA1c of under 64 usually has annual checks with GP, cost is per usual GP appointment. Over 64 with nurse and is funded. Blood tests done on site at cost of nurse appt, however walk over the road the SCL (Southern Community Labs) and your bloods are funded. Home
A useful link for canterbury - follow health conditions - Type 2 Diabetes HealthInfo Canterbury

cheers Feb 29th 2016 7:48 pm

US.

I have insurance for RX's and my costs at Walmart(US) are very cheap at the moment. I got test strips 2 weeks ago and there was no charge. I will let you no on the price of insulin. I have been getting it free at the clinic.

A1c is no cost. I've been running at 11 and above.

I love them sweets!

garethwm Mar 1st 2016 12:21 am

The actual blood tests itself should be free, although as Mark said you pay for doctor or nurse appt and I presume you would pay the normal fee of $5 per prescription at the chemist. But someone in the know about diabetes would need to confirm.

Mark Smith Mar 1st 2016 12:29 am

Depends where you have the blood test done. At the medical center where I work there would be a fee of $15 fora non enrolled patient and $10 for an enrolled. 5 doors away a Southern Community Lab does them for free.

mikelincs Mar 1st 2016 10:55 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11882806)
US.

I have insurance for RX's and my costs at Walmart(US) are very cheap at the moment. I got test strips 2 weeks ago and there was no charge. I will let you no on the price of insulin. I have been getting it free at the clinic.

A1c is no cost. I've been running at 11 and above.

I love them sweets!

Not very useful to the OP who is in New Zealand, and even the reporting units for the A1c are different in either country, at a level of 11, in NZ and the UK you wouldn't even be classed as a diabetic. levels quoted on BE should ALWAYS include the units, if used as there are big differences between countries, or rather between the US and almost all other countries in the world. because the US has yet to go metric in most scientific things. particularly hospital test results.

LittleGreyCat Mar 1st 2016 11:35 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11883252)
Not very useful to the OP who is in New Zealand, and even the reporting units for the A1c are different in either country, at a level of 11, in NZ and the UK you wouldn't even be classed as a diabetic. levels quoted on BE should ALWAYS include the units, if used as there are big differences between countries, or rather between the US and almost all other countries in the world. because the US has yet to go metric in most scientific things. particularly hospital test results.

Yes, most confusing in general.
In the UK we are switching between two sets of units to general confusion.

For finger prick tests we are switching from mmol/L to mg/dL so a finger prick reading of 11 (in old UK) is roughly 198 in new UK. Both are high and an indication of poor control. According to t'Internet the US use mg/dl.

For HbA1c readings (measures longer term BG levels - over at least the last 6 weeks) we are switching from percentage to mmols/mol. An HbA1c reading of 11 in old units is equivalent to 96.7 in new units. Again, not good control.

According to the American Diabetes Association the US is moving from percentage to eAG, so a reading of 11 translates to 269.

You will note that the new (UK and US) units come up with quite high numbers. Anyone with a reading of 11 in new units would not only not be diabetic but would probably also be seriously dead.

TL;DR the readings are old style units and high.
Insulin not of direct interest to me as I don't use it, although T2s with poor control or other problems may well have to.