British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Any scuba divers here? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/any-scuba-divers-here-908107/)

Mightymurph Jan 17th 2018 10:36 pm

Any scuba divers here?

Hi All,

I have just registered to complete a LONG!! overdue Open Water and Advanced.
I got some basic equipment at the shop (Mask, Snorkel, Fins) BUT When I do my Advance Open Water in mid-late Feb, I was looking at getting a bit more of my own equipment.

Wetsuit, BDC, Regs, Dive Comp. And I'm looking for advise.

This is the current advise so I don't confuse anyone.
Entry level wetsuit (around $450),
BDC (I have prefered integrated weights on previous training dives - and one around $500)
Regs (I have been advised to spend a little more than just entry level, between $600-$800)
Dive Comp, same advise really, since I am doing the Advance course. but $500

Most of the equipment I was shown is MARES and a Reg was Oceanic.

Should I get all the same brand equipment?
What brands should I look out for?

I love to travel so, should I be looking at brands that are known globally? and not just my local dive shop?

Is it cheaper to order online?

Thanks
Stephen

Catchafire Jan 18th 2018 12:57 am

Re: Any scuba divers here?

Originally Posted by Mightymurph (Post 12421413)
Hi All,

I have just registered to complete a LONG!! overdue Open Water and Advanced.
I got some basic equipment at the shop (Mask, Snorkel, Fins) BUT When I do my Advance Open Water in mid-late Feb, I was looking at getting a bit more of my own equipment.

Wetsuit, BDC, Regs, Dive Comp. And I'm looking for advise.

This is the current advise so I don't confuse anyone.
Entry level wetsuit (around $450),
BDC (I have prefered integrated weights on previous training dives - and one around $500)
Regs (I have been advised to spend a little more than just entry level, between $600-$800)
Dive Comp, same advise really, since I am doing the Advance course. but $500

Most of the equipment I was shown is MARES and a Reg was Oceanic.

Should I get all the same brand equipment?
What brands should I look out for?

I love to travel so, should I be looking at brands that are known globally? and not just my local dive shop?

Is it cheaper to order online?

Thanks
Stephen

All those brands are supported worldwide. Better to get it from a dealer (visit a few if you can).

I dive in Marlborough, its gets cold under 5mtrs.
Get a thicker wetsuit than you think you need.
I steer clear of BCD with integrated weights, can be a problem in an emergency if you need to drop em.
Good advice on regulator, make sure the first stage supports an additional regulator (octopus).
Dive computer? Still got my Suunato Spyder from 2001, you can have it for $500!

Mightymurph Jan 18th 2018 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 12421487)
All those brands are supported worldwide. Better to get it from a dealer (visit a few if you can).

I dive in Marlborough, its gets cold under 5mtrs.
Get a thicker wetsuit than you think you need.
I steer clear of BCD with integrated weights, can be a problem in an emergency if you need to drop em.
Good advice on regulator, make sure the first stage supports an additional regulator (octopus).
Dive computer? Still got my Suunato Spyder from 2001, you can have it for $500!

That is awesome advice thank you. :goodpost:
I will let you know about the Dive Computer :-)

mikemike Jan 21st 2018 3:45 am

Which Oceanic regs set do you have

The DX5 can be tempremental as they are highly sensitive. The DX3 is a real work horse with little issues, a dream to draw on at 15m and below.

I have a Mares dragon fly hub, which was a real heavy hitter for my days as instructor. 18 years old and still going strong. Dc is uwatec aladin, doe what is needed

Dive fins are 32 years old and are North sea whale flukes.....they do not make them like that anymore, Very heavy duty great in strong currents. I have shoe fit mares for lighter work.

Prescription lenses in mares mask

Found that a Radiator with crushed titanium lining very helpful as an under garment tat gets a wet suit to slide over. The radiator also has additional 3mm thermal equivalent properties. Also makes a very good stinger suit in its own right.