Any regrets?

Old Feb 28th 2017, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any regrets?

Originally Posted by Genesis
Why, thank you for your kind words and karma Michelle! Alas my mother accused me of 'deserting the family' when I left!!

I do feel some parents feel they have some right over their children. I like to have a more bean baggy view that I am merely a custodian for them until they can manage for themselves. Along that journey independence and decision making skills grow and they become totally their own people. My son said to me at 7 years he did not believe in god and thus felt like he should leave the catholic school he was at. It was one of my proudest fatherly moments, my child making such choices and decisions at a young age. I wish you well, warm regards, Dominic.
Yes, yes and yes! I couldn't agree more. Hooray for the bean baggy view.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomela
I have found this thread really interesting and helpful. I have only been here a few months as I insisted we do a trial before emigrating. My fiance is a kiwi and we have 2 small children and a third on the way. NZ is undoubtedly stunning and maybe the children have a bit more freedom to play, but I really can't wait to go home. I'm actually quite surprised as I thought I'd want to stay forever but I really don't. I really miss the UK, family and friends, the history and culture. Plus it's extortionate here for food and furniture. The house all seem like holiday homes and it's impossible to feel cosy. It's such a hard decision as I know my partner is happy here. I don't want my kids to forget their Grandparents and cousins and I want them to grow up English. So Ive convinced him to move back to the UK in May...For now.
That't totally understandable, everyone's experience is different. Life is just too short. I wish you the best in your return home.

Michelle
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam13
I am on a very crowded new build estate, on the edge of a big town very close to a hugely touristy part of the M5, that spends large parts of the week nose to tail with traffic jams making our commutes into the centre of the only city round here horrific! We both take about 60-70 minutes to get to work that's only about 20 miles away.
Auckland
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 12:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi all.
If you wonder where the one year update went to, it is here in a thread of its own & in our Update section rather than it being lost within the 'regrets' thread.

Cheers
Old Mar 12th 2017, 10:18 am
Just Joined

KiwiLouise is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been here since 2004 and my biggest regret is living in Auckland! My husband was offered a job in Auckland, so we didn't really have a choice, we came for an adventure, with not much planning! Our children were 10 and 8 and they quickly settled into school, we didn't want anymore disruption for them so we stayed. Before we left the UK the recurring advice I had, was to see the rest of the country as Auckland is not the real NZ, which we have and I would recommend the south island or definitely well south of Auckland!
Salaries are less, the cost of living is higher in NZ generally but you will survive, Auckland has one the highest property prices in the World and the traffic is horrendous, public transport is very poor! Your life now sounds a lot like living in Auckland LOL!
The rest of NZ would give you a better standard of living in my opinion. I hope you enjoy your adventure.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I have been here now for 8 years and have zero regrets.

2 years ago I was deeply unhappy and considered moving back to the UK or Australia. Turned out I just needed to get rid of the husband lol. He is now the perfect ex and lives in South Korea now 🖒🖒

I love nz and couldn't actually imagine living anywhere else, I am living with a kiwi guy now and life has never been so good.

I went back to the UK 2 years ago and after 5 minutes I just wanted to leave, it was even worse than I remembered. Talk about dull and dreary!! Everyone on top of each other etc.