Any regrets?

Old Jan 22nd 2017, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any regrets?

Somerset v Auckland? Somerset all day long. I've lived in both places and I couldn't stand Auckland - but it's subjective, one man's meat is another man's poison I guess.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 5:51 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Regrets? Yes a (very) few. Do they outweigh the reasons to come and stay? No not even close for me. YMMV (and will).
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 11:11 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz

One advantage here is not having the need to impress anyone, so no need to have a new car every 2 or 3 years.
I've never understood why people say this.

I've never felt this kind of pressure to, 'buy a new car every other year' and I come from Surrey !

Spending decisions are personal of course.

Aren't new build houses a fashionable statement of wealth ?
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot

I've never felt this kind of pressure to, 'buy a new car every other year' and I come from Surrey !

Indeed very strange why someone would say that. Not in the UK now but I never felt the pressure to buy a new car. Yes the neighbour once bought a new fiat panda but I doubt is was because they wanted to impress.
As Bo-Jangles stated, you won't necessarily find the things leandra21 mentioned by moving to Auckland. A friend from Devon moved to Auckland years ago and he hated it personally. In Devon they had everything on their doorstep and again it's different for everyone, just like I wouldn't want to live in Dublin on my budget, because I enjoy the space and outdoors I have in Galway.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 11:52 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam13
Especially those that have come back to the UK, do you ever wish you hadn't gone? Or are you glad you went out to satisfy your curiosity?
I don't wish I hadn't gone. My kiwi husband seemed keen on the idea back in Summer 2006. The fact that I was still reeling with grief over the death of my mother a few months earlier meant nothing to him, apparently.

I pretty much agreed to go just to close the question down so I could get back to my grief. February 2011 was when we sold our house and left Britain for NZ. The fact that I told him before we got married several years previously that I was not interested in living in New Zealand and that if he married me hoping I'd change my mind, well that way lies divorce seemed to be conveniently forgotten about whilst he was turning over the idea in his mind one afternoon whilst mowing the lawn.

November 2016 was when we sold our house and came home. Home for Christmas. You might not know what that feels like until/unless you have been away from home for several years. Until you have experienced the horror that is Christmas in the Summer.

However, to save a series of rows over the next couple of years which probably would have seen the end of us as a married couple, I basically called his bluff. Ok mate, you want it, you've got it. The fact that I didn't have the courage to say 'can we just give it a couple of years and see how things turn out' is quite telling. (It was never discussed, 'with love' or even properly. All the talk was how and when and the logistics of the move.)

He has a better relationship with his twin nieces who are now age 11 and nephew who will be 18 in November than he would have had if we did not visit them as we did. Despite the day long, 500km drive, to get from where we lived to where they live in Auckland.

He has a better, 'updated' relationship with his sister and brother in law. He has been able to catch up with his mother who will be 82 in May. (She was 76 when we arrived. I gambled on her life expectancy. I'm a nice person really. Anyway, she was 81 and still going strong when we left.)

I had no curiosity about New Zealand. I visited Auckland, NZ with my fiancé now husband in 1994 a few months before we married to meet his family. His father died suddenly and unexpectedly in Auckland during that trip.

We visited again for Christmas 1996 and stayed for his sister's wedding in January 1997.

We visited again in October 2006 when his twin nieces were a year old.

I never once said, 'that was great, I wished we lived there.' No, it was more like, 'thank God that's over, I'm glad we're home.'

I actually envy people who come to NZ with no baggage. Um, well, of the emotional kind anyway ! They see NZ for what it is and love it, or not. There's no expectation on them to either like it or love it. It just is.

They could be inspired to want to come to NZ to live and work for a long or short period of time. Or just say, 'it was only a holiday.'

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jan 23rd 2017 at 11:56 am. Reason: Better punctuation
Old Jan 24th 2017, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot

Maybe it was a Northern thing ?
Was definitely always a feeling there to keep up with the Jones's (neighbour's) and also close friends/family.
Luckily never went too far with it.

If you mean new build houses here then nah I don't feel its a fashionable statement of wealth.
We took it as a no brainer decision. We could have easily spent the money on a house in suburbia on a small section with compromises. We couldn't afford the already used rural house on a large section as just too expensive.
For the same investment we managed to buy a decent sized section and build our own which gives us exactly what we want with no compromises in a rural setting for less than buying the used house in suburbia.

House at the top of our street in suburbia (Bethlehem) where we are renting just gone up for offers around $866 000. CRAZY! It's a 4 bed, 2 bath bungalow, not that overlooked on a small section backing on to a main road. Doesn't even have any decent views as it's set back and down in a dip. One thing going for it is its across the road from Bethlehem College.
We aren't paying anything like that
Old Jan 26th 2017, 7:46 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

We spent 8 1/2 years in Auckland and moved back last year. Enjoyed the first 5 years but not so much thereafter. But even with all the issues we experienced it has been life changing for all of us in a very positive way and so worthwhile.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

wez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nice

I've spent my current trip here in NZ re-evaluating how i will feel once we do move here in November, and, i honestly can't wait to get out here proper, given the choice, i'd just stay here now, but unfortunately, i've got the small matter of my visa to finish up (medical complete now), and i have to sort shipping my belongings over, and finally, i have to sell my car in the UK.

I've decided, if my visa takes 4 months as it should, and i can find suitable employment, i will push forward our moving date to earlier. We are lucky as we can move into my wifes parents house until we settle
Old Jan 27th 2017, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Sam13, I think your plan is a sensible one, going back to take a non-touristy look at things. I would also advise you to find Kiwis in the UK who work in your field to mentor you through the professional aspects of your potential move. I would also advise you on this upcoming trip to get a sense of how much your bills are going to be and construct a sample budget. On this upcoming trip I would also advise you to speak to potential employers about the hiring situation etc. to give you a fuller picture.

New Zealand seems to be boom-or-bust for migrants. There are several posters here who have gone and made very successful lives for themselves there. But a move there can also flop, hard and quick.

I spent several months in Wellington on a temporary visa last decade. I thought the quality of life was very high - if you had money. At the time I was on an American income so it was OK. I am also outdoorsy and really enjoyed the side trips to the South Island, etc. Top-to-bottom the country is quite diverse and can give you a range of experiences and options.

On balance, my experience there was positive, and the country stayed in my mindset for several years after.

A few years ago we had the opportunity to migrate to Australia or New Zealand . . . and we chose Australia. I don't regret that.

While on balance my experience was positive, New Zealand is still small, remote, and isolated. I felt cut off from the world there, even in Wellington, in ways I've never felt in regional Australia. There will be others who have had different experiences and you should seek those out to get a broader perspective, but that is how I felt.

Wages can be very low and expenses very high. Right now in the Australian media there have been a few rounds of stories about how the flow of migrating Kiwis to Australia has stemmed, and even reversed for the first time in ages for a few months. Just for kicks I re-did the calculations - in my field, and my wife's field, if we left for New Zealand tomorrow, best-case scenario is that we would be immediately low four-figures AUD worse off monthly. That gap will widen and blow out to mid-four-figures monthly within a few years; I make more in my mid-30s here than I would at the top of the pay scale there. Even if we wanted to go there, there is no way it could work for us financially. That really did surprise me.

Other fields do better, and can do a lot better. You didn't mention which is yours. The point is just that you should take a look at what your wages and budget situation will be very, very carefully. I have read of people moving to NZ and then getting "trapped" - wanting to leave but not earning enough to do so. You will be miserable if you go there but then can't afford to do the things you moved there to be able to do.

Best of luck and well done on doing the due diligence. Just make sure the finances work for you.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

No

It's been an up and down emotional journey at times but I bloody love it here.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

smudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine has been a very up and down experience. When we first came over I hated it and wished to go back. We gave up a very comfortable life in a good area with a lovely house, good jobs etc. I guess we had a case of the grass here is green but it's even greener on the other side..that'll teach us. The shock of the dire housing and Dickensian working conditions here...my experience..not everyone's for sure, sent me into a severe depression and for the first time in my life I had to start taking anti depressants. Our ages made it difficult to return to UK to work so we stuck it out and made the most of it. I learnt to accept things the way they are in NZ and have enjoyed the beauty of the country and made some wonderful friends but at the end of the day it has never felt like home and we are finally leaving after twelve years as we have a good work opportunity open to us. If I had known then what I know now I would never have given up everything we had to come here.. the loss far outweighed the gain for us and I feel it was the biggest mistake of our lives. Undoubtedly many people come here and have a wonderful lifestyle and love it here and I can understand that. Just for us it didn't work out. It is just so far away from anywhere..some could say that's an advantage..and I miss the history, culture and humour of UK and Europe. In general, from the people I have met, the ones who have come from large cities in not particularly picturesque areas have loved it here more than those who came from prettier areas in the country. There is a lot of new housing now being built so that should help alleviate the problem of finding a decent, warm house when you arrive although house prices are mind boggling for the quality on offer. We are in Auckland so things are probably very different in other areas of NZ. The cost of living is very expensive and everyone is taxed on every cent they earn..even kids with a paper round or shop job..which really makes me cross. If you love the outdoorsy life, sports and the beach I am sure you will love it in NZ..it really is a beautiful country but for me beautiful scenery is just not enough and I am looking forward to returning to UK with its warts and all.. Hope I haven't waffled too much but hopefully you may find my perspective helpful.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smudge1
Mine has been a very up and down experience. When we first came over I hated it and wished to go back. We gave up a very comfortable life in a good area with a lovely house, good jobs etc. I guess we had a case of the grass here is green but it's even greener on the other side..that'll teach us. The shock of the dire housing and Dickensian working conditions here...my experience..not everyone's for sure, sent me into a severe depression and for the first time in my life I had to start taking anti depressants. Our ages made it difficult to return to UK to work so we stuck it out and made the most of it. I learnt to accept things the way they are in NZ and have enjoyed the beauty of the country and made some wonderful friends but at the end of the day it has never felt like home and we are finally leaving after twelve years as we have a good work opportunity open to us. If I had known then what I know now I would never have given up everything we had to come here.. the loss far outweighed the gain for us and I feel it was the biggest mistake of our lives. Undoubtedly many people come here and have a wonderful lifestyle and love it here and I can understand that. Just for us it didn't work out. It is just so far away from anywhere..some could say that's an advantage..and I miss the history, culture and humour of UK and Europe. In general, from the people I have met, the ones who have come from large cities in not particularly picturesque areas have loved it here more than those who came from prettier areas in the country. There is a lot of new housing now being built so that should help alleviate the problem of finding a decent, warm house when you arrive although house prices are mind boggling for the quality on offer. We are in Auckland so things are probably very different in other areas of NZ. The cost of living is very expensive and everyone is taxed on every cent they earn..even kids with a paper round or shop job..which really makes me cross. If you love the outdoorsy life, sports and the beach I am sure you will love it in NZ..it really is a beautiful country but for me beautiful scenery is just not enough and I am looking forward to returning to UK with its warts and all.. Hope I haven't waffled too much but hopefully you may find my perspective helpful.
You hit the nail on the head. Its all about our frames of references. I lived in a really shite part of Northampton, was disillusioned with my job, as was my ex wife. We had 3 kids under 5. Did we really want to bring them up in what was the 2nd worst post code of the 'Shire?

Thus NZ, inspite of the manifold ups and downs we have had worked for us. I was also so over the congestion and populous nature of the UK. Sure I miss stuff about the UK but the quality of my life here, in spite of a very sad divorce and not seeing my kids much anymore, is so much better than what it would be in the UK.

I live in a real bungalow (not a big shed), made properly in 1956, very much like a UK build, properly insulated, top and bottom and I guess in pounds its worth about 250k. I am sure it would be close to double that in a comprable area in the UK (4 beds and 3 baths 800mt2 section, big garage etc).

I could not afford the home I have or the life style I have in the UK.

NZ has issues a plenty, just like anywhere. Works for some folk, does not for others. Wish you all the best of luck back in the UK

Last edited by Genesis; Jan 30th 2017 at 1:24 am.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

smudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis

You hit the nail on the head. Its all about our frames of references. I lived in a really shite part of Northampton, was disillusioned with my job, as was my ex wife. We had 3 kids under 5. Did we really want to bring them up in what was the 2nd worst post code of the 'Shire?

Thus NZ, inspite of the manifold ups and downs we have had worked for us. I was also so over the congestion and populous nature of the UK. Sure I miss stuff about the UK but the quality of my life here, in spite of a very sad divorce and not seeing my kids much anymore, is so much better than what it would be in the UK.

I live in a real bungalow (not a big shed), made properly in 1956, very much like a UK build, properly insulated, top and bottom and I guess in pounds its worth about 250k. I am sure it would be close to double that in a comprable area in the UK (4 beds and 3 baths 800mt2 section, big garage etc).

I could not afford the home I have or the life style I have in the UK.

NZ has issues a plenty, just like anywhere. Works for some folk, does not for others. Wish you all the best of luck back in the UK
Thanks Genesis. I can certainly understand your viewpoint. As you say, one man's meat is another man's poison. I am in no doubt that when we get back there are going to be many things I will miss about NZ but hopefully being close to family and friends again will help that fade with time.. All the very best to you too
Old Jan 30th 2017, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

3 regrets here

1: Not applying for the Skilled Migrant Visa before coming over. I was rushed to get a WTR visa yet the time it took to be approved, I could have had the migrant visa. I suppose one positive is that it delayed my start date which should have been Monday 13 June 2011.
2: Chosing our first rental in Christchurch City. It was cheap for a reason once December struck. Homeless for Christmas, something I never want to experience again.
3: Going back to London for a week for work a couple of years ago. End result from that trip, I discovered the feeling of homesickness.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any regrets except one - and that is a big one: not having spend more time with my dad because I was in NZ. My dad died last year.

No more regrets but happy to be back in Europe. Feeling connected again and being with my extended family. Nature is beautiful in Europe too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.