Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any recommendations on airlines when travelling alone with 2 young children?????

Any recommendations on airlines when travelling alone with 2 young children?????

Old Jan 15th 2011, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of
Smile Any recommendations on airlines when travelling alone with 2 young children?????

Hi,

I am just about book flights out to Auckland via Melbourne, I'll be travelling alone with 2 little ones aged 2 and 3.5 years - can anyone recommend a good airline to go with when travelling with children??

Thanks
Kay
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any recommendations on airlines when travelling alone with 2 young children?????

I doubt that any airline is more child friendly than the next.
You would hope that most would accommodate you adequately.

The better airlines would probably be most suited.
We have booked with Air NZ and will be taking what will be an 8month old with us.
They have been helpful so far.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 11:14 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any recommendations on airlines when travelling alone with 2 young children?????

For the sake of other travellers.......go by boat
Old Jan 15th 2011, 11:50 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

I travelled solo with 3 via Air NZ, the stewardesses were lovely and offered to take the 5 month old off me a few times whilst I had to do loo stops and help the other 2.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by P18PPS
I travelled solo with 3 via Air NZ, the stewardesses were lovely and offered to take the 5 month old off me a few times whilst I had to do loo stops and help the other 2.
Thank you glad I'm not the only one to be travelling solo with little ones!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:09 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard work! I found going to a cheap poundland type shop and stocking up on use and dispose toys was great, stickers are good too (mind you our seating area looked interesting when we disembarked)! Most of the major airlines also have goody bags to give to the kids when they get on board, and I think pretty standard these days is the interactive movies/games in the headrests. I always liken long-haul with children like giving birth - once it's started you just have to roll with it!
Good luck.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

ex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really nice

My family have used Singapore Airlines when they have visited with a 2 year old and they were great.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

totombili has a spectacular aura abouttotombili has a spectacular aura abouttotombili has a spectacular aura about

We flew with Air NZ with our 2 children in October, aged 3 & 2 and they were great!
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 1:02 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

try not to eat them all at once, you'll feel sick and you'll have nothing to snack on later...
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dustybin
try not to eat them all at once, you'll feel sick and you'll have nothing to snack on later...
Naughty
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:52 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KayC
Hi,

I am just about book flights out to Auckland via Melbourne, I'll be travelling alone with 2 little ones aged 2 and 3.5 years - can anyone recommend a good airline to go with when travelling with children??

Thanks
Kay
My wife did this journey with 2 x 18 month olds, from London to Christchurch via Melbourne. She found Jetstar to be brilliant, and Qantas to be rubbish.

You can read her adventures here -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405635

BB
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

nicolelocin214 is an unknown quantity at this point

We flew singapore airlines with a 4 month old and they were brilliant. We had a bassinet seat so slightly easier but the stewardesses were fantastic.
We have family that flew Korean Airlines and they are apparently brilliant aswell.

Good luck
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
My wife did this journey with 2 x 18 month olds, from London to Christchurch via Melbourne. She found Jetstar to be brilliant, and Qantas to be rubbish.

You can read her adventures here -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405635

BB
Thanks for the info Buzzy - I can't believe how bad Quantas were for your wife and girls!!!! I will steer clear of them for sure - thanks again
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nicolelocin214
We flew singapore airlines with a 4 month old and they were brilliant. We had a bassinet seat so slightly easier but the stewardesses were fantastic.
We have family that flew Korean Airlines and they are apparently brilliant aswell.

Good luck
Thanks Nicole! I'll bear them both in mind
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KayC
Thanks Nicole! I'll bear them both in mind
I flew with Emirates back to the UK (Auckland to Manchester via Brisbane, Singapore, Dubai) then Air NZ from London to Auckland via LA. I travelled aone with my 9, 3 and 2 year olds.

I hated every second of my Air NZ trip. The staff weren't very approachable and made every request seem like you had just slapped them in the face with a wet snapper! The chairs were uncomfortable, the food was dire. Drinks and snacks were sparse, and the TV was unbearable!

Emirates couldn't have been any better than they were! The staff were fantastic, and kept coming to see if we needed anything - drinks, snacks etc. They came with games and books for my little ones, and happily watched them while I popped to the loo and stuff.

I will never willingly get on another Air NZ flight again, unless there are no other flights to my destination. I have heard Singapore Airlines are the best though - just a bit pricey!