Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any Prison Officers out there?????

Any Prison Officers out there?????

Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

big nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nice
Default Any Prison Officers out there?????

Has anyone left the UK Prison Service to Join the NZ Correctionals? PLEASE, in desperate need of any useful info on the pro's and con's of starting again....
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:11 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Prison Officers out there?????

Hi big nelly, there were quite a few threads from POs on here a while back, if no one gets back to you it may be worthwhile digging them up. (let me know if you need a hand)
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:22 am

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

Know it's not much help yet but leaving the UK Prison Service and start work with DOC at the end of June.

Not a Prison Officer myself but there are definitely some recent threads about this somewhere. If all else fails I have a colleague who went over as a Prison Officer but he's not a member on here.

Could ask some questions for you maybe. What kind of things are you trying to find out when you say starting again?

Tan
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

big nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nice

Hi Tan and Nerine,

thanks, looks as though i may have to dig a little to see what i can come up with. OH is a senior prison officer here, and we really wanted to know what the different establishments are like compared with UK prisons, also and probably most importantly what the financial implications would be, like moving pensions and also if he'd lose his retirement gratuity payments ( not that he's quite ready for retiring yet).... all the boring but essential stuff really
Old Mar 15th 2008, 5:44 am

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

Is always a tough call...both Hubby and I have UK final salary Government pensions which we're going to have to give up. If we came back these don't exist anymore.

Hey Ho...personally we can't imagine giving up the chance of this life experience because of this.

I'll email my friend (PO from UK to NZ) and see if he can help with some further info.

Tan
Old Mar 15th 2008, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

dekajack1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by big nelly
Has anyone left the UK Prison Service to Join the NZ Correctionals? PLEASE, in desperate need of any useful info on the pro's and con's of starting again....
Hi,

Worked in the scottish Prison service for 10 years and nz for past two, there are lots of prison officers here from english service. I work at Rimutaka, which is the jail next to the prison college any info you need would be glad to help out,
Old Mar 15th 2008, 6:05 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tan and Nerine,

thanks, looks as though i may have to dig a little to see what i can come up with. OH is a senior prison officer here, and we really wanted to know what the different establishments are like compared with UK prisons, also and probably most importantly what the financial implications would be, like moving pensions and also if he'd lose his retirement gratuity payments ( not that he's quite ready for retiring yet).... all the boring but essential stuff really
Could he not pay the AVC's to take him to 40 80ths?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Tan and Nerine,

Hi Tan,

sending a pm.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 5:32 am

Morning,

Replied to pm
Old Mar 17th 2008, 5:35 am

Some bits of information:

My mate commuted his pension over, saying that with the exchange rate you get a good deal. You can withdraw the money after five years, if you touch it before then you get taxed by the UK for 40%.

"If you bring your pension over from the UK don't use Britannia (not very good and give bad advice)".

"Conditions within the jails isn't too bad but depends which jail you go to".

Tan