Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any pre school / nursery teachers on here??....

Any pre school / nursery teachers on here??....

Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Di and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really nice
Default Any pre school / nursery teachers on here??....

If so please can I PM you? I just have a couple of questions!!!! taaaaa very much!!!

thanks
Old Apr 8th 2009, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any pre school / nursery teachers on here??....

Originally Posted by Di and Ste
If so please can I PM you? I just have a couple of questions!!!! taaaaa very much!!!

thanks
You could just chuck the questions out anyway, there's many a font of knowledge on here
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Di and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really nice

Ok thanks that would be great!!!!!

I am a childminder at the moment but will be studying to be a preschool teacher from September. I haven't started scrolling the internet looking for information, (I'll start doing that today when my baby girl goes to sleep ), but I wondered what qualifications would be considered in NZ for this role? On the LTSSL it states, 'A qualification in Early Childhood Education (ages
0-5) at a minimum of Level7, which is approved bythe New Zealand Teachers
Council AND New Zealandregistration'
. Can anyone tell me what Level 7 is in UK qualifications?

Is it quite easy to get into early years over there? I will have child minding as a fall back but having read all of the posts on here we know that it would be better to have a guaranteed monthly income from me, (don't know if I should say guaranteed in this current climate though!)

If there are any childminders on here can you tell me if you have found it difficult to find children to look after? We would like to move to the Bay of Plenty, Tauranga or around that area. I would love to stay at home for when my boys come back from school ect... I really don't want them becoming latch key kids and being home on their own until we come back from work but we are looking at all options at the moment. Which springs up another question ... do you have after school clubs?

Also,does anyone know what the basic wage is for this job? There was a link posted on this site which had the average wages for various jobs but I can't find it again!!!! I will check if Seek has this info later but just wondered if anyone here could help?

taa very much!!!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:41 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok thanks that would be great!!!!!

I am a childminder at the moment but will be studying to be a preschool teacher from September. I haven't started scrolling the internet looking for information, (I'll start doing that today when my baby girl goes to sleep ), but I wondered what qualifications would be considered in NZ for this role? On the LTSSL it states, 'A qualification in Early Childhood Education (ages
0-5) at a minimum of Level7, which is approved bythe New Zealand Teachers
Council AND New Zealandregistration'
. Can anyone tell me what Level 7 is in UK qualifications?

Is it quite easy to get into early years over there? I will have child minding as a fall back but having read all of the posts on here we know that it would be better to have a guaranteed monthly income from me, (don't know if I should say guaranteed in this current climate though!)

If there are any childminders on here can you tell me if you have found it difficult to find children to look after? We would like to move to the Bay of Plenty, Tauranga or around that area. I would love to stay at home for when my boys come back from school ect... I really don't want them becoming latch key kids and being home on their own until we come back from work but we are looking at all options at the moment. Which springs up another question ... do you have after school clubs?

Also,does anyone know what the basic wage is for this job? There was a link posted on this site which had the average wages for various jobs but I can't find it again!!!! I will check if Seek has this info later but just wondered if anyone here could help?

taa very much!!!
Hi Di,

I don't know how the various qualifications get the equivalents worked out I'm afraid. But someone else will I'm sure.

Yes there are after school clubs, certainly at my youngest two's primary school.

In-house education/childcare seems to be dominated here by these people;

http://www.porse.co.nz/

There seems to be a section on education/work so I'd suggest you have a look at that.

We are celebrating two years today of having moved to Papamoa, Tauranga and couldn't be happier with the area.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi Di,

I don't know how the various qualifications get the equivalents worked out I'm afraid. But someone else will I'm sure.

Yes there are after school clubs, certainly at my youngest two's primary school.

In-house education/childcare seems to be dominated here by these people;

http://www.porse.co.nz/

There seems to be a section on education/work so I'd suggest you have a look at that.

We are celebrating two years today of having moved to Papamoa, Tauranga and couldn't be happier with the area.
orrrr stop it you're making me more excited!!!! I am sooo jealous of you!!! Wish we were there now! Thank you for the info that's brill I'll take a look now! reading all the jokes on the other section at the mo crying with laughter ha ha ha ha ha
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:47 am

orrrr stop it you're making me more excited!!!! I am sooo jealous of you!!! Wish we were there now! Thank you for the info that's brill I'll take a look now! reading all the jokes on the other section at the mo crying with laughter ha ha ha ha ha
Any questions you have about the area don't hesitate to ask.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Any questions you have about the area don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks xxx

I'm just looking at that link you sent now it's ace!!!!!!!!!!! well chuffed that I could potentially carry on childminding!!!!!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:03 am

There have been some previous threads on the subject that may be useful?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=child+minding

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=child+minding
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Di,

Following is from NZIS site -

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/i11934.htm

Bachelors degrees requiring 3 or more years of full time study from the following institutions are assessed as occupying Level 7 of the Register and will therefore qualify for 50 points.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...andguides/lorq

All teaching qualifications and degrees in Education will need to be assessed by the NZQA for teacher registration and salary purposes, should an applicant wish to enter the teaching profession within New Zealand.

Hope this helps? You can also train once you are over there if you get PR - have a look at this, there is lots of info.
http://www.teachnz.govt.nz/default.aspx
Old Apr 9th 2009, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

you are a star!!!! thanks hun Guess I can get cracking with them anyway as we don't want to wait that long! everything helps eh! We'll still get quite a few points through my OH
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Di and Ste, affraid to burst your bubble, but at the moment NZ do not recognize the early years quals from the UK. Mad I know. I am a Primary teacher and looked into doing my Early Years add on but it was a no go. (A Bachelor of Education Honours degree is a level 7 in NZ) You would be better to study over there if you can manage it, they too will have to have fully qualified ECE teachers come 2012 so they will def be in demand. Meanwhile there are loads of childcare centres and I've found if you approach them direct they are very helpful.
Don't let this put you off, let me know if you want any more info, I have email address for very helpful chap at Education NZ in Wellington, most unlike the UK Govt departments
Good luck x
Old Oct 28th 2009, 1:15 am
Account Closed

Bexybell22 is an unknown quantity at this point

After paying $650 dollars, (for the fast track service, which took nearly two months!!!), to NZQA for the international qualifications recognition service, they have massively dumbed down my early years education qualifications and are refusing to recognise them as an equivalent. Even though in their daycare/nursery's etc, they do a whole lot less in terms of educating the children!!!! Since when did you need a bloody degree to look after babies!! When I contacted them during the assessment, they told me on the very first day that there was no way my qualifcations would add up to the required level 7, why can't they post these kind of details on their website? I have now contested the results, but they want me to pay them another $270, what's with all the money grabbing!!!!
Be warned though as this seems to be a regular thing with NZQA as they have also dumbed down my UK paramedic qualifications and refuse to correctly recognise those too. GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bexybell22
After paying $650 dollars, (for the fast track service, which took nearly two months!!!), to NZQA for the international qualifications recognition service, they have massively dumbed down my early years education qualifications and are refusing to recognise them as an equivalent. Even though in their daycare/nursery's etc, they do a whole lot less in terms of educating the children!!!! Since when did you need a bloody degree to look after babies!! When I contacted them during the assessment, they told me on the very first day that there was no way my qualifcations would add up to the required level 7, why can't they post these kind of details on their website? I have now contested the results, but they want me to pay them another $270, what's with all the money grabbing!!!!
Be warned though as this seems to be a regular thing with NZQA as they have also dumbed down my UK paramedic qualifications and refuse to correctly recognise those too. GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!
Hi Bexybelle, guess you didn't see my above post from April before you sent your stuff off to NZQA?
I know it seems crazy, but the UK is surely doing the same here from 2012, requiring pre-school settings to have a teacher qualified with the Early Years Diploma added on?
I don't think it's worth appealing, unless you can afford to loose the money
Hope another avenue opens up for you. Have you contacted Early years providers in NZ? I found them very receptive. Good luck