Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any positive stories?

Any positive stories?

Old Aug 25th 2015, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Pinkchick is just really nicePinkchick is just really nicePinkchick is just really nicePinkchick is just really nicePinkchick is just really nicePinkchick is just really nicePinkchick is just really nicePinkchick is just really nice
Default Any positive stories?

I have read quite a few replies on threads here and most seem to be of the opinion that moving to nz was a bad idea and they want to come back to the uk. Are there any positive stories of making the move?! I'm sure with so many Brits moving out it must work out well for some?!

Thanks
Old Aug 25th 2015, 6:48 am
Account Closed

DandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any positive stories?

Moved four years ago to Invercargill, love it just love it. No stress, no pressure, 9 minute drive to work, couple of minutes drive to the beach, we live a 5 minute walk to the bush, I can't hear or see my neighbours, we both have good jobs, a nice group of friends, we have time to spend with each other and we have room for my new pets. We are both positive people so we tend to just shut up and get on with things really. Not going back.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 6:52 am
Just Joined

Pinkchick is just really nicePinkchick is just really nicePinkchick is just really nicePinkchick is just really nicePinkchick is just really nicePinkchick is just really nicePinkchick is just really nicePinkchick is just really nice

So good to hear! We are make the most of it people too and are under no illusion that it will be easy but have kids so are keen to ensure we are making the right choice (although it is what you make it!).
Old Aug 25th 2015, 6:53 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Love it here too, no plans to return what so ever
Old Aug 25th 2015, 6:55 am
Just Joined

👍😀
Old Aug 25th 2015, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

lol. There are loads of brits enjoying it. I love it here - there are certainly challenges. The big thing is often finance. The sums really need to add up or life will be very challenging.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 7:01 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I wouldn't say that was the case really. Those up against it or not finding their new country quite as they hoped will post about that. It is part of the caring and sharing on BE. You will read many similar stories all around the BE globe.

Mostly those don't see the move as a 'bad' move. Just that the move hasn't met expectations or that some aspects of such a huge move has not worked out as planned .

For myself, even though I have been here for eleven years now, I remain undecided as to whether we shall remain or go. That doesn't mean I feel we made a bad choice or regret this move. Just that perhaps NZ does not tick particular boxes for us & that has become somewhat wearing.

Perhaps have a read in the NZ update forum. There is all sorts in there.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Moved to Wellington March 2012. Liked the lifestyle there etc but the weather wasn't all that great and wished to be nearer to very good sunkissed beaches instead of ones that are majority windswept, covered in driftwood where people mostly walk the dog!

Moved up to Tauranga, Bay Of Plenty November 2014 and we love love love it here. The weather is great, much milder than Wellington with much less wind. Way more opportunities to go places and nearer to places like Lake Taupo, Rotorua, Auckland, The Coromandel, The East cape etc.
For us, moving to NZ was not a bad idea. It was the chance for us to have an adventure in a place with less traffic, less people, less serious crime. We wanted to change our lifestyle for a more outdoorsy one, the chance of a slower pace of life and a place where kids can be kids. It has truly met all our expectations in that way.
Yes our families and lifelong friends are 18000KM's away. Yes, we don't earn as much here. Yes, the cost of living is more expensive here. Yes, it takes some getting used to but all that doesn't seem to matter to us.
We are going back to the UK in 2 weeks for the first time since we arrived and if I'm honest, I'm not that keen other than to see my mam.
There's no way I'll be going back to live there for many many years. The only chance is if our children, visit the UK when they are adults and settle there, which is at least 15 years off and by then I'll be thinking about retirement.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Baz036 is an unknown quantity at this point

London to Greymouth in 2006. Chalk and cheese but loved it and a great way to immerse in Kiwi culture. Had to get the mind around the differences which really were all down to being spoilt in the UK (eg shops closed at noon on Saturdays, fresh produce was domestic seasonal only etc.).

Moved to Marlborough in 2010 and found a lifestyle I could only have dreamt of in the UK. As with Greymouth threw ourselves into clubs and activities to meet people and friends and have never looked back.

Not a single day goes by when I don't wonder how I got so lucky to have what I have here.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 7:18 am
Account Closed

DandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baz036
London to Greymouth in 2006. Chalk and cheese but loved it and a great way to immerse in Kiwi culture. Had to get the mind around the differences which really were all down to being spoilt in the UK (eg shops closed at noon on Saturdays, fresh produce was domestic seasonal only etc.).

Moved to Marlborough in 2010 and found a lifestyle I could only have dreamt of in the UK. As with Greymouth threw ourselves into clubs and activities to meet people and friends and have never looked back.

Not a single day goes by when I don't wonder how I got so lucky to have what I have here.
The harder you worked the luckier you got
Old Aug 25th 2015, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Moved to Wellington March 2012. Liked the lifestyle there etc but the weather wasn't all that great and wished to be nearer to very good sunkissed beaches instead of ones that are majority windswept, covered in driftwood where people mostly walk the dog!

Moved up to Tauranga, Bay Of Plenty November 2014 and we love love love it here. The weather is great, much milder than Wellington with much less wind. Way more opportunities to go places and nearer to places like Lake Taupo, Rotorua, Auckland, The Coromandel, The East cape etc.
For us, moving to NZ was not a bad idea. It was the chance for us to have an adventure in a place with less traffic, less people, less serious crime. We wanted to change our lifestyle for a more outdoorsy one, the chance of a slower pace of life and a place where kids can be kids. It has truly met all our expectations in that way.
Yes our families and lifelong friends are 18000KM's away. Yes, we don't earn as much here. Yes, the cost of living is more expensive here. Yes, it takes some getting used to but all that doesn't seem to matter to us.
We are going back to the UK in 2 weeks for the first time since we arrived and if I'm honest, I'm not that keen other than to see my mam.
There's no way I'll be going back to live there for many many years. The only chance is if our children, visit the UK when they are adults and settle there, which is at least 15 years off and by then I'll be thinking about retirement.

Went down to the Mount after Xmas and it is amazing down there. Just no jobs for me down there otherwise I'd seriously consider it. Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if our kids moved there when they grown up - about 17 years away lol. Until then, it's rugby, beaches and hiking all the way...
Old Aug 25th 2015, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desmondo84

Went down to the Mount after Xmas and it is amazing down there. Just no jobs for me down there otherwise I'd seriously consider it. Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if our kids moved there when they grown up - about 17 years away lol. Until then, it's rugby, beaches and hiking all the way...
Love to live at The Mount but just put's that extra 15 mins drive for work which makes it too far for me and also property is soooooo expensive with little land as the resort is your back garden.
We're only 15 mins drive away though and have a great view of The Mount out of our back garden even though it's 15KM's away
It is an amazing place to live. I climb The Mount often and every time I stand at the top and look out I feel so privileged to live here

Any positive stories?-themount.jpg

Any positive stories?-themount2.jpg
Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Been in wellington 2 1/2 yrs, don't even want to go back to the UK for a holiday
Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moonie2011
Been in wellington 2 1/2 yrs, don't even want to go back to the UK for a holiday
mmm, if flights were 100 bucks and I had loads of holidays, I'd go back but it's hard just justify the time/expense when there's so much to explore here.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Tis a lot of money. We fly out on the 8th and return 2nd October. Costing us $5850 for the flights and $450 for the hire car for 3 weeks. No accommodation costs as we'll be staying with parents.
Had to be done at some point, but I expected it'd be next year not this year, but I suppose getting it over with a year early means I can relax for 3 or 4 years when I get back!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.