Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any IT peeps in Christchurch?

Any IT peeps in Christchurch?

Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of
Default Any IT peeps in Christchurch?

Howdy,

Plans are re-forming for our arrivial in New Zealand on 13th August.

We were hoping to secure a job offer prior to arrival, but nothing seems to be happening so we are now going where we've always fancied .. Christchurch.

So, what is the likelyhood of me finding working in Christchurch as a software engineer? Anyone know of any jobs going? (Have been trawling tademe and it.seek like a mad woman!)

Also, how does this sound like an itinery / journey?
Auckland - 7 nights
Rotorua - 3 nights
Palmerston North - 1 night
Picton/Blenheim - 1 night
Arrive and stay at Christchurch ....
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

paulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nice
Default Re: Any IT peeps in Christchurch?

I had a look on Seek too, i'm in network support, and at the time there was 162 IT jobs on for ChCh so i'm sure if you were there you'd get something, and being a software engineer your skills could go to good use there

Ahhh wish it was me leaving so soon hahaha
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

ErikR has a brilliant futureErikR has a brilliant futureErikR has a brilliant futureErikR has a brilliant futureErikR has a brilliant futureErikR has a brilliant future

What's up with skipping Wellington? Geesh you don't know what you're missing! (seriously, Wellington is well worth spending a day or two.)

In NZ it's not what you know, but WHO you know. Definitely contact a good recruiter, who can use his personal connections to find you a good job. Quality developers with good experience are definitely in demand - but going through a recruiter helps alot in getting your CV under the attention of the right person, at the right employer.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ErikR
What's up with skipping Wellington? Geesh you don't know what you're missing! (seriously, Wellington is well worth spending a day or two.)

In NZ it's not what you know, but WHO you know. Definitely contact a good recruiter, who can use his personal connections to find you a good job. Quality developers with good experience are definitely in demand - but going through a recruiter helps alot in getting your CV under the attention of the right person, at the right employer.
Thanks ... on your say so then, will spend a night in Wellington, and then do you think if we caught an early ferry, could do Welly to christchurch in a day?

Am thinking we could explore North of christchurch at our leisure ??
Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou
Thanks ... on your say so then, will spend a night in Wellington, and then do you think if we caught an early ferry, could do Welly to christchurch in a day?

Am thinking we could explore North of christchurch at our leisure ??
Hi Lou

You could to the trip from Welly to Chch in a day no probs, its about a 5 hour drive to picton, taking it pretty easy, and you will pass through the touristy places anywaly like Kiakoura, well worth a stop for the seal colony.

Hudson in Chch might be a good bet for recruiters, got me a job in purchasing within 2 days of contacting them
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:06 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou
Howdy,

Plans are re-forming for our arrivial in New Zealand on 13th August.

We were hoping to secure a job offer prior to arrival, but nothing seems to be happening so we are now going where we've always fancied .. Christchurch.

So, what is the likelyhood of me finding working in Christchurch as a software engineer? Anyone know of any jobs going? (Have been trawling tademe and it.seek like a mad woman!)

Also, how does this sound like an itinery / journey?
Auckland - 7 nights
Rotorua - 3 nights
Palmerston North - 1 night
Picton/Blenheim - 1 night
Arrive and stay at Christchurch ....
I'd move from Auckland quicker and go to waitomo and possible Taupo, but thats just me. Enjoy the ride!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

We have a place already booked in auckland for the week .. we have to be there anyway to collect our dog whom arrives a couple days after we do, and I have a couple of face-to-face interviews.

Not that I really want to end up in Auckland, but need a job asap.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

I read your post. We did much the same. We had decided that Christchurch is where we wanted to be and so went and then got jobs. I can't understand why you have one night planned in PN. I travel there often and am not sure why anyone lives there.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
I read your post. We did much the same. We had decided that Christchurch is where we wanted to be and so went and then got jobs. I can't understand why you have one night planned in PN. I travel there often and am not sure why anyone lives there.
hmmm ..

bearing in mind we have 2 young children and a dog, what would be a good plan then to get to christchurch quick-ish, but without long stretches of driving?

Day 1: Auckland -> Taupo
Day 2: Taupo -> Wellington
Day 3: Wellington-> XCH
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

I like your second Itinerary. You will find that you will have a full day from Wellington to Chch as you will be on the ferry then driving. However, it is doable. You may find if it is getting late that it is reasonable to stop at Kaikora (sorry for the spelling). There are a few motels there to choose from and a grocery store. You could give the kids a break there and see the seals the next day then a nice easy drive into Chch the next day. I have heard from a work mate though that the drive down the west coast through Lewis pass is quicker, but there has been bad weather with snow up there so you may find you prefer the east coast route. I don't know what the time savings is on the other route, but it may only be something less than an hour.

I am sure you will find it nice drive.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Cool - thanks so much guys - todays mission the is for me to find some cheap dog friendly accomodation in Taupo and Wellington then :-)

Ferry, I am thinking of the Bluebridge Ferry as is $100 cheaper!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:25 am
Just Joined

ErikR has a brilliant futureErikR has a brilliant futureErikR has a brilliant futureErikR has a brilliant futureErikR has a brilliant futureErikR has a brilliant future

I've only used the Interislander but that was pretty good too and ferry was included in the rental price with Apex. (I booked a special North + South deal for the car and we got the ferry crossing for free).

Bear in mind that dogs are not allowed in the Wellington CBD and finding dog-friendly accomodation (as in a hotel or motel) might be a bit of an issue. Finding a rental house with a dog seems problematic (you'll often see "No pets allowed" on the trademe ads) but with the current economic situation and the stagnating real estate market, I've found it relatively easy to pursuade land lords and/or real estate agencies to allow our elderly well-behaved dog. Agreeing to a higher bond or an additional "pet bond" or raising the rental price a bit (an extra $100 a month) often does wonders.