Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any nurses or Whangarei residents?

Any nurses or Whangarei residents?

Old Apr 10th 2009, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

bmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nice
Wink Any nurses or Whangarei residents?

Hi, my partner and I will be arriving in Whangarei, hopefully the end of June. Can anyone please recommend either a nice B+B, or a nice area within 30 min drive (during "rush hour") where we can rent when we first arrive?

Also, can any nurses in NZ advise how did they manage to work before their NZ Nursing Council registration came through? What work visa/ permit did you get? Did you have to work as a Care Assistant. Does your permit/ visa state what job you must do please? Any advice gratefully received... or just say hi, as we do not know anyone in NZ and are excited about coming!
Old Apr 12th 2009, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any nurses or Whangarei residents?

Originally Posted by bmwmick
Hi, my partner and I will be arriving in Whangarei, hopefully the end of June. Can anyone please recommend either a nice B+B, or a nice area within 30 min drive (during "rush hour") where we can rent when we first arrive?

Also, can any nurses in NZ advise how did they manage to work before their NZ Nursing Council registration came through? What work visa/ permit did you get? Did you have to work as a Care Assistant. Does your permit/ visa state what job you must do please? Any advice gratefully received... or just say hi, as we do not know anyone in NZ and are excited about coming!
Hiya & Welcome,
Sorry I cant help with the 1st part of your question but hopefully can with the 2nd!
You cant work until you are registered with the NZNC AND have your Annual Practising Certificate AND a work permit. Your new employer should provide you with a Employer Supplimentary Form which will allow you to apply for a Work Permit.
We are still in the UK at the moment but are applying for perminant residence via the Skilled Migrant route.
If you are not registered with the NZNC yet then this is the 1st thing you should do.
If I have got this wrong then I am sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.
XX
Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all

Hi bmwmick - we were in Whangarei around July time last year for a few weeks. We rented a house along the Tutakaka coast near Ngungunguru which is a beautiful area and overlooks the Poor Knights ..... have a look at www.bookabach.co.nz

As it is their winter we managed to negotiate a bit with the prices and if you are looking for a longer term rent then i am sure you should be able to get a good rental price.

Have you secured a position at the hospital in Whangarei ????

Lx
Old Apr 19th 2009, 3:43 am
AKA New Nurse

nearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant future

Hi bmwmick, Im Claire and Im a nurse in Whangarei hospital. We live 30mins from town. Theres lots of B&B/motel places in town but I think you would be best to get onto renting a place while you are still in the UK if you are going to be living around Whangarei for a while. Have a look on trademe.co.nz there are loads of rentals on there. We secured a rental property while still in Scotland. It was such a relief to get here and not have to stress about finding somewhere to live. Is a crazy enought time!

Where are you working in the hospital? PM me with any questions and i'll do my best to help. What visa have you applied for? Have you been in touch with NZNC at all? We can meet up for a chat when you arrive.

Now you can say you know someone in NZ and her names Claire, her mans names Ewan and they have a cute puppy called Eva!

Originally Posted by bmwmick