Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any negatives to Tauranga

Any negatives to Tauranga

Old Mar 19th 2014, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of
Default Any negatives to Tauranga

I have been offered a post in Tauranga hospital and looking to relocate from Blenheim.
Apart from house prices and perhaps trafic dependent where I choose to live are there any negative aspects to life in the Bay

Many thanks
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:25 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any negatives to Tauranga

The traffic is a bit of an issue, imo, but is just part of it being a populated and fast expanding area. If you don't mind that, I think it's a lovely place with a great lifestyle. Fantastic weather too!
Old Mar 19th 2014, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

No negatives that I've found on my few trips there.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

I've managed to think of a few things I don't like about Tauranga/Mt Maunganui.

We have NO museum!! I've lived in many towns/cities throughout NZ and this is the only place that has no museum. It's embarrassing.

No Botanical gardens. We do have a few attractive parks but I miss the scale and variety of some of the larger city gardens.

Everything here grows at an alarming speed. Plant a delicate dainty 'slow growing' specimen and overnight you're living with a triffid. I'm sick of bloody pruning.

I've heard doggy people complaining there arn't enough places for walkies.

The shops are meh. Mt Maunganui downtown is geared up for cruise-ship tourists. Downtown Tauranga could do with a shot in the arm or a bullet to the head. Better off going to Hamilton or Auckland for major purchases.

I have no idea if we have any nightclubs. Possibly not. To some, Tauranga could be considered a trifle dull?
The Strand central Tauranga is supposedly dodgy after midnight on weekends and best avoided.

There are some gangs around, but I haven't encountered any nasties and only know of one friend who's been burgled. The culprit was caught.

If you work nights in A&E you will encounter some unpleasant types. Drunk and drugged ( just the usual dross of society ).

Peak hour traffic is indeed painful.

I hope all the negatives do not put you off. I'm quite partial to the place.

Last edited by Hokey-pokey; Mar 19th 2014 at 11:25 pm. Reason: Changed might to will.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

Perhaps geared towards those looking to slow down a little. This may not be a negative.

Spent 3 months living in Tauranga/Mt M. before I found a real job, was high on my list of places to live and would have settled there had there been a job at the time.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

It used to be known as '$10 Tauranga' as wages were so low!

I have friends who live there and it's a lovely part of NZ. Keep away from Merivale though!
Old Mar 21st 2014, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm heading there in November. Managed to get a transfer to another one of our offices up North which allows me to live in Tauranga.
We've kind of settled on Bethlehem. Have been a good few times recently and really like the area. The other shortlisted place is Papamoa but in all honesty the snobs in us and our hearts are saying Bethlehem.
Hopefully sell up in the UK soon so we can look at buying in Bethlehem.
Really looking forward to life in the Bay!
Old Mar 21st 2014, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer Bethlehem to Papamoa also. There are a surprising number of hidden gems dotted around. Pyes Pa has some very nice enclaves. Oropi too. You won't see these places from the main roads.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

vetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the job offer Frenchy. I don't live in Tauranga but I stay there often through work and it, along with central Otago would be one of the two places I'd consider moving to rather than going back to the UK. If I could get a job at either I'd be there like a shot. Tauranga is clean and pleasant, still has a holiday vibe to it and I like the climate. The town is big enough to get everything you need and has a few boutique shops too. It's also nicely positioned for trips to busier or less busy places as you wish. Thumbs up from me.

Last edited by vetnurse1; Mar 23rd 2014 at 10:02 am.