Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any Info on Nelson

Any Info on Nelson

Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Any Info on Nelson

Originally Posted by jillyfar
I like the idea of a house in the Marlborough Sounds I just hope the commute to Nelson is not to far.
Sorry but I don't think that is an option, I think you can drive to Havelock in 1 hour, but its a pretty windy road.
There are others who live down in the Okiwi Bay area but that's still an awful lot of driving for a daily commute. some people will have an abode in both places, so they can live mon thru fri in Nelson for work and then take off to their bach down the sounds for the weekend, you need to have serious cash to live like that though.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

the real estate prices in Nelson are a bit 'silly' I think, but thats because it is a popular place to live I guess.
if you have been looking at the real estate websites you will notice that what's available in Nelson does not seem as good value as you might find in some of the more densely populated areas; Christchurch springs to mind, comparable houses are much cheaper there than they are in Nelson.

As far as places not to be; I would probably steer clear of victory square;[not enough sun] Washington Valley;[not enough sun] Tahunanui [the flat part] its under a flight path. Stoke [mainly because its a bit dull]. Hope I haven't offended any one!!!
Old Nov 11th 2009, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all

Amazing what you find on google searches......

Think the tourist that snapped this was way off the beaten track

http://www.angelsnz.net/ZL3SV/images...-image_big.jpg
Old Sep 7th 2010, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

stellios is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by louloumama
Hi Stellios ...
We loved many places in the North Island - esp up in the Northland and around the Bay of Islands. The main hospital in Northland is Whangarei and we considered this area for a while but felt that it may not have enough to offer as the kids get older - lovely surrounding areas to live though like the Tutukaka Coast. That area is really why we fell in love with NZ.

We have also done a reccie to OZ (NSW area ) and it just didn't "grab me" in the same way NZ did. Personally for us the constant temperature that they see in Queensland would be unbearable and the ability to still enjoy 'seasons' as they do in NZ appeals.

Nelson for us seems to tick all the boxes- as nelsonpom said it seems to have so much variety right on its doorstep - beach, fishing, kayaking, sailing, surfing, walking in the Abel Tasman , cycling, ski-ing . . .. . take your pick - can't imaging the kids will be bored for one minute !!!!!!!

have got all my documents being assessed at the mo by the NZ midwifery council so lots of waiting on decisions at present.

Keep in touch, be fab to see how your plans work out - best of luck
Hi Again. Just back from our Oz reccie! The only area we felt could work for us was NSW North Coast area inland from Byron Bay towards Lismore -where I would work- and also areas around Murwillumba or Tweed Heads where I could also work. However, like you I did not feel grabbed in the way I wanted to be from the trip. It was really hard to get a feel for anywhere especially with the family in tow.I think I would have to go bak alone to get a better idea of areas to live schools etc. The kids are so anti it's unbelievable! They enjoyed the holiday but are completely against a permanent move. Are you still heading for Nelson? If not I'd love to know why. Let me know where you are up to. Take care Sue
Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Fishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant future

I've lived in Nelson for 4 years so the 'honeymoon' period is now over but i can truly say i wouldn't live anywhere else. It is beautiful. I have 3 kids , 2 of whom are now teens and they love it despite leaving lots of friends in Uk, and are now very settled and happy that we moved. There is plenty for them to do and it is a safe environment for kids. All of the schools are good, and you have to go yourselves to get a feel for them as all kids are different. Probably the one nearest to where you'll be living would be the best idea. Alot of poms in Mapua, Atawhai and Brightwater (more for your money too). There is abit of Nelsonian snobbery and they will definitely look at giving jobs to their 'own' first. Also got friends who are midwives and seem to be lots of jobs in Blenheim, harder in Nelson, but i couldn't live in Blenheim, seems very dull!(sorry) The hardest thing for me has been finding a house that i like which hasn't had the garden subdivided!
Old Sep 10th 2010, 11:01 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I agree. There are a lot of Poms, Americans and other nationalities in & around the Mapua area these days. I think there has also been an influx out onto the Moutere also. When we first arrived here, just over 6 years ago, there were hardly any new migrants to this area. Then suddenly around 3 years back they started arriving in waves - so it seemed to us.

Brightwater used to be called Britwater which is why we chose not to settle there and Wakefield was an up and coming area with a huge amount of decent sized new sections being opened up.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fishy
I've lived in Nelson for 4 years so the 'honeymoon' period is now over but i can truly say i wouldn't live anywhere else. It is beautiful. I have 3 kids , 2 of whom are now teens and they love it despite leaving lots of friends in Uk, and are now very settled and happy that we moved. There is plenty for them to do and it is a safe environment for kids. All of the schools are good, and you have to go yourselves to get a feel for them as all kids are different. Probably the one nearest to where you'll be living would be the best idea. Alot of poms in Mapua, Atawhai and Brightwater (more for your money too). There is abit of Nelsonian snobbery and they will definitely look at giving jobs to their 'own' first. Also got friends who are midwives and seem to be lots of jobs in Blenheim, harder in Nelson, but i couldn't live in Blenheim, seems very dull!(sorry) The hardest thing for me has been finding a house that i like which hasn't had the garden subdivided!
Just wondered how you find the climate out there? Must admit I loved the temperature in Queensland but as I stated earlier the place just didn't grab me as I had hoped it would. Would love to hear why you (or anyone else!) think Nelson works for you. Nelson seemed to tick every box for us when we looked into splitting our reccie with Oz but realised we just didn't have enough time to do the two countries. Sue
Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Any Info on Nelson

Originally Posted by janek
the real estate prices in Nelson are a bit 'silly' I think, but thats because it is a popular place to live I guess.
if you have been looking at the real estate websites you will notice that what's available in Nelson does not seem as good value as you might find in some of the more densely populated areas; Christchurch springs to mind, comparable houses are much cheaper there than they are in Nelson.

As far as places not to be; I would probably steer clear of victory square;[not enough sun] Washington Valley;[not enough sun] Tahunanui [the flat part] its under a flight path. Stoke [mainly because its a bit dull]. Hope I haven't offended any one!!!
Lol i live In Tahunanui right by the flight path and its really no big deal, I enjoy seeing the planes coming and going past the window and they are only small planes so not noisy at all and to be honest you dont notice any noise from them after a while.
Tahunanui is of course by the beach and is a nice area with a fantastic play area which is right by the beach for younger kids. For those with older kids there is a place called the Hub worth checking out on google as i know very little about it.
Cheers
Cally
Old Sep 14th 2010, 11:02 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cally49
Lol i live In Tahunanui right by the flight path and its really no big deal, I enjoy seeing the planes coming and going past the window and they are only small planes so not noisy at all and to be honest you dont notice any noise from them after a while.
Tahunanui is of course by the beach and is a nice area with a fantastic play area which is right by the beach for younger kids. For those with older kids there is a place called the Hub worth checking out on google as i know very little about it.
Cheers
Cally
I like Tahuna and I think with most areas you can give pros and cons depending on personal preferences. We live in the brook which I love, I walk or cycle to work and love being in a valley (lived in flat east anglia for a long time). Nelson area as a whole is prob a little more expensive then some areas(property wise)but its because its popular and a good place to live and bring up a family
Old Sep 16th 2010, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nelsonpom
I like Tahuna and I think with most areas you can give pros and cons depending on personal preferences. We live in the brook which I love, I walk or cycle to work and love being in a valley (lived in flat east anglia for a long time). Nelson area as a whole is prob a little more expensive then some areas(property wise)but its because its popular and a good place to live and bring up a family
Would love to know how people think their lives have improved and for what reasons since leaving the UK for Nelson.