British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Any hospitality management professionals??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/any-hospitality-management-professionals-752823/)

kramvi Mar 26th 2012 1:11 pm

Any hospitality management professionals???

Default Hello everyone
Hi all I am just joining to see if this forum can be helpful to me. I see that the replies here are pretty recent so this means that it is an active forum.

My name is Kramvi and I am in the process of applying for New Zealand. So thought I could get a few insights from people here. I am just going to send my ITA shortly. Am still waiting for my NZQA results.

I am in the hospitality management sector. Any other people from here in this profession? Would love to hear from all.

hazeandsteve Mar 26th 2012 6:11 pm

Re: Any hospitality management professionals???

As far as I'm aware, you need four years experience to get points for hospitality management.
Haze's sister is a manager of a bar/restaurant here, and we've had a few dealings with immigration over this.
Still, best of luck.:thumbup:

BEVS Mar 27th 2012 1:44 am

I gather that you already have a job offer & that you have the required qualifications in hospitality management which simply require the NZQA PAR.

Where are you currently living out of interest. Hospitality managers do get to move around a fair bit worldwide.

kramvi Mar 27th 2012 1:01 pm

Hi thanks for your replies Steve and Bev.

I am currently in Australia on a student visa and work part time as a shift manager. I got a job offer from NZ as a restaurant manager and have a bachelor's in hospitality administration from the US. Would this make a difference?

So Steve since I do not have 4 years of experience as a restaurant manager, how many years of experience will I need if I have a bachelor's in hotel and restaurant management? Any idea?

nelsonpom Mar 28th 2012 12:31 am

Originally Posted by kramvi (Post 9974864)
Hi thanks for your replies Steve and Bev.

I am currently in Australia on a student visa and work part time as a shift manager. I got a job offer from NZ as a restaurant manager and have a bachelor's in hospitality administration from the US. Would this make a difference?

So Steve since I do not have 4 years of experience as a restaurant manager, how many years of experience will I need if I have a bachelor's in hotel and restaurant management? Any idea?

Hi I am in hospo management. Your degree will get you 50 points if my memory is correct and I don't believe you need experience as well (it would def earn you points but don't think you actually need it)
Can I ask where the job is and who for

kramvi Mar 28th 2012 1:42 am

Hi Nelson,

Nice to meet you. I see that you are also in restaurant management. May I ask what kind of restaurants you are in? Answering your question my offer is from a fast food restaurant that has offered me 40k per annum for the job. Not sure if this amount is enough for immigration. Some say it is and some say it should be more. What is your view on this?

kramvi Mar 28th 2012 1:42 am

And regarding the experience part I think that one has to have about 2 years in addition to the degree but I am not sure. Hope you are right

kramvi Mar 28th 2012 2:43 pm

Any answers on my questions anyone?

BEVS Mar 28th 2012 10:43 pm

I am undecided whether being offered only $40K for a management role would have an impact on your application. It is a rather low salary. If the occupation was for a trade person then the salary would be deemed too low by a good $5K

Do you know if this employer is NZIS accredited?

BEVS Mar 28th 2012 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by kramvi
I am just going to send my ITA shortly.

As you already have an ITA , I'm not sure why you are concerned about your points. Your EOI will already have had the prelim checks and the points you claimed has been accepted. You would just send in proof of your degree with the ITA.
For the work experience, you send in proof of this for the points.
For the job offer you send in the contract of employment per the details you supplied on the EOI..

hazeandsteve Mar 30th 2012 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by kramvi (Post 9974864)

Sorry mate, not ignoring your questions.
I know no more than that really, it's the sister in law who had all the dealings.
40k won't leave you much after tax, rent, bills etc if you're single.

kramvi Mar 31st 2012 6:24 am

Thanks hazeandstevefor the advice.

However I am not worried about the money for expenses right now. I have quite some saving. The only thing I am worried about is if the 40k is enough to pass immigration. That's all.

Bevs do you mean that since they sent me the ITA, they cannot reject me on basis of salary?

BEVS Mar 31st 2012 10:42 pm

No. I don't mean that.

You were concerned about your points for your qualification I thought. You simply prove that by sending the necessary in with the ITA.

They may reject the standard of the job offer ref. the low salary offered. I've seen this actually happen to someone we know here. They considered his job plumbing as a plumber to not be of skilled level because the wage was a lot below the 'going rate' for a plumber --- which it was. .

They may look at the role of your job offer and then the wage offered and consider it to not be of a managerial standard. Why is the wage so low? That's around $19 an hour.

kramvi Apr 2nd 2012 10:01 am

Bevs it is a fast food company. Sadly it is the only company that has interviewed me on skype. Though I have applied for so many companies, just because I happen to be in Australia, employers are hesitant to go through my application. Even though I have made it clear, especially to head hunters, that I am available for an interview in person and can fly there any time, I don't seem to get any positive replies. My resume and experience is all good I am dead sure of that. Am in a turmoil currently.