Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any hidden expenses?

Any hidden expenses?

Old Apr 16th 2007, 11:11 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any hidden expenses?

Originally Posted by karonious
Sorry to hijack your thread
I was really annoyed that the first cheque we wrote from our new account cost us a levy. It wasn't much (really can't remember, probably $5), just the fact that they charged us when they had all our money and were probably making a profit out of us already
Oh yeah - gotta agree here! Banks in the UK may be limited when it comes to service, but at lest they don't charge you. Here in NZ, you can expect to pay between 3 and 10 dollars a month for allowing the bank to have your money and giving you their blessing to own a current account. The first cheque you use will cost you $5 as it's 35c or there-abouts per cheque you cash.

On the lighter side, you can use EFTPOS (NZ equivalent of Switch or Visa Debit) for any purchase from 1c upwards, and get cashback on any purchase too. None of the UK's £5 or more for cashback rubbish.

Ultimately it's swings and roundabouts here.

Oh, and at the moment the NZ interest rate is flippin' FABULOUS - if you are bringing equity out here then you're a winner! The loosers are us peeps with a mortgage

Did someone mention swings and roundbouts....?
Old Apr 16th 2007, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Oh yeah - gotta agree here! Banks in the UK may be limited when it comes to service, but at lest they don't charge you. Here in NZ, you can expect to pay between 3 and 10 dollars a month for allowing the bank to have your money and giving you their blessing to own a current account. The first cheque you use will cost you $5 as it's 35c or there-abouts per cheque you cash.

On the lighter side, you can use EFTPOS (NZ equivalent of Switch or Visa Debit) for any purchase from 1c upwards, and get cashback on any purchase too. None of the UK's £5 or more for cashback rubbish.

Ultimately it's swings and roundabouts here.

Oh, and at the moment the NZ interest rate is flippin' FABULOUS - if you are bringing equity out here then you're a winner! The loosers are us peeps with a mortgage

Did someone mention swings and roundbouts....?
What are the rates like then for the properties?
What about car stuff?

And we will have a mortgage....damn and blast.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 11:53 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kato33
What are the rates like then for the properties?
What about car stuff?

And we will have a mortgage....damn and blast.
Mortgages? One of the best rates is 8.8% over 30 months with Westpac. Do shop around though, as some firms will try and beat the market leaders by a significant % (0.1% or more) on large amounts.

Car finance I really don't know about. I'd say bring UK £'s out with you and change to $$'s to get a big advantage when it comes to buying cars and buy them outright. They are plentiful and cheap here, and so long as you don't have to be in the 'latest' model, you can have a decent and reliable runabout for $2K upwards. Seems senseless to me to be paying interest on a depreciating asset like a car - so DO NOT buy new whatever you do! Depreciation here is the same as anywhere = bloody awful!

Wiz advice? Bring as much equity with you as possible to offset the high interest rates here when buying a property.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 2:05 pm
Dragging 4 kids with us..

Jules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by karonious
On the plus side, there is no TV Licence!

Or water rates...
Old Apr 16th 2007, 7:40 pm
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jules & Danny
Or water rates...
yes there are. Coz we have been paying them! You got your normal rates and water rates. Water rates are pretty cheap though about $80 for the year.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dazal
yes there are. Coz we have been paying them! You got your normal rates and water rates. Water rates are pretty cheap though about $80 for the year.
Only some places in NZ, not here in ChCh.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:38 am
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Apple12
Only some places in NZ, not here in ChCh.
Well, I didnt know that. You lucky buggers, how did Christchurch manage to get away with that then.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:04 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

Car mot twice a year for the older than 6 yr old ones is $48,car road tax called rego here varies but a full year costs me $183 for my RVR ,the actual road tax in that is only $43 and the rest is $110 ACC(acc covers hospital costs),admin ,other levies and of course the dreaded VAT (gst here) 12.5 % (tax on a tax).If you run a diesel you pay around 55 cents a litre less but have to pay a road user charge which is done on a bought number of kilometers,it is just a charge to cover the difference between petrol and diesel probably because lorries do less to the gallon so it helps them a bit with running costs although I dont know the charges at this time I do know that people turn the speedo off putting it bluntly to save on road user charges so they do more miles than they paid for at a lot less per litre .
House rates are generally cheaper than UK with water included also but not in every cities rates,ours is here where we live,our rates are just over $2000 per yr and are payable in 5 payments per yr,we think it is cheap as we are paying less than band A was in our uk town.Car insurance is not compulsory but advisable as Kiwi`s are not the best of drivers ,mine costs $295 fully comp and the wifes is $250 fully comp.Swings and roundabouts with some things but in general we think NZ is cheaper overall.Hope this helps
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers you lot,

That has given us some good advice. We pay £1200 a year rates here and £400 water bills.

As for the car, we have a newish one so would it be more beneficial bringing it over? Its a Jag, so don't know if they have many over there for parts and such.

nici
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:25 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

Jag ,forget it get a 4x4 or something useful ,Jags are here but exxy for all parts and service.Jap is the way here sorry but more reliable and useful unless you want new and go for the Holden specials v8 5.7 ltr gas guzzlers .

Your choice/expence.I know as a Mechanic that I would forget Jag here and go Jap or as a last go Holden the OZ general motors or Vauxhall(sorry I am being sick Vauxhall was a word I have probs with I dont even know why I said vauxhall/ Holden)
As I said Your Choice.
We play a game here called "Spot the non Jap car"
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cherry
Jag ,forget it get a 4x4 or something useful ,Jags are here but exxy for all parts and service.Jap is the way here sorry but more reliable and useful unless you want new and go for the Holden specials v8 5.7 ltr gas guzzlers .

Your choice/expence.I know as a Mechanic that I would forget Jag here and go Jap or as a last go Holden the OZ general motors or Vauxhall(sorry I am being sick Vauxhall was a word I have probs with I dont even know why I said vauxhall/ Holden)
As I said Your Choice.
We play a game here called "Spot the non Jap car"
Thats done then.

Anyone wanna buy a Jag?????

You know what its like over here, you keep up with the Jones's only to be laden with debt so after that good advice I think I will sell it, pay the debt and then buy myself a 4x4.

Cheers Cherry
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:29 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boopy
Sky isn't much cop here either

Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:30 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boopy
But it's a must for hubby and his sport.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:06 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazal
Well, I didnt know that. You lucky buggers, how did Christchurch manage to get away with that then.
well...they just poo in a bowl and empty it into the street after kicking the sheep out of bed in the morning........also they drink rainwater and melt snow in buckets over the wetback......