Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any HGV Drivers that have moved to NZ?

Any HGV Drivers that have moved to NZ?

Old Sep 1st 2011, 10:11 am
Just Joined

karen31 is just really nicekaren31 is just really nicekaren31 is just really nicekaren31 is just really nicekaren31 is just really nicekaren31 is just really nicekaren31 is just really nicekaren31 is just really nice
Question Any HGV Drivers that have moved to NZ?

Hi Everyone, I am new to this site and have been browsing through the topics posted. My family and I would like to move to NZ permanently but have become very confused with the immigration section on the Government website.
We are all from the UK I am 31, my fiance 41 and our son 8. My fiance would like to go and drive trucks out there he has 24 years experiance in this occupation and its on the ISSL. how do we start? how do we try for PR? and my fiance only has 2 school grade passes (he wishes he'd paid more attention now) I on the other hand I left with 6 passes and took an intermediate GNVQ in art & design and passed with a merit award but have never done anything with it.

would the educational qualifications go against us? we are trying to do all our homework as we really would like to move on a permanant basis but we are worried that we would be able to work but not live, it's just a long way to go to get refused any help would be appreciated especially from truckers in the same/similar situation.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

JNunn7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any HGV Drivers that have moved to NZ?

I am also wanting to make the move to NZ, I am only 22 with only a little driving experience.
I'm also finding it very hard to make any progress so any advice would be a great help
Old Sep 1st 2011, 9:40 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there and welcome to this cosy wee NZ forum.

I'll move this into the main NZ forum for you as this area is really just an intro area for us all to get to know each other.

There have been a fair few truck drivers trundle on through our forum over the years.

Please have a good browse around

I made a wee post here about HGV. Got to go out now but I'll try and get back to this later
Old Sep 4th 2011, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of

I work in Transport I believe if you have the experience then that is the important part. Education is not an issue.
Sounds like you would have a good chance might be worth asking a immigration consultant. If you can get a job then all the better I know some companies actively recruit Poms, Hookers I think aim to do that

As for being 22 prob your best bet is a Working Holiday Visa and take it from there
Old Sep 4th 2011, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

karron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nice

karen31,so is it canada or new zealand you want to go to ? or have you not decided ? it wont be that easy as truckdriving is not seen as a skill that would get you permanent residency unless you can get a job offer from an accredited company who must pay more than $55k a year,might even be more now, and that does not include any overtime/extras. by the way $55k is unusual to get. to get a job you need a visa and to get the visa you need the job. some people go on a work to residency visa but the same rules seem to apply. this is how it was unless it has changed, someone else may know more.

Last edited by karron; Sep 4th 2011 at 9:53 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

skybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Any HGV Drivers that have moved to NZ?

Hi guys
I came with my UK Lgv class 1 as a back up, and I have used it when we first got here and your need to be aware of a couple of things.
They will transfer your UK license to a NZ class 5 (lgv1) but you need to take a medical and pass the theory test (33 out of 35 to pass). Most trucks (as they call them) because on NZ axle weights are Rigids with a draw bar a trailer. They do have conventional artics but with an extra trailer called a B train. They do have the standard UK artics so if you can get some draw bar experience in the uk would be good. You work a standard 50 hour week with the "line hall" being the better paid and harder to get. You need to pay attention when driving on NZ roads as they are not forgiving with either a ravine or another 44 tone truck coming the other way, but you drive through some stunning scenery.
My experience would say you will struggle to get a job from the UK, you will need to be here and maybe take up some temporary seasonal work which will give you the experience. You may struggle to get a line hall job and you may need to take local delivery jobs. One final point is that it is not the best paid job in NZ have a look on Seek the employment site to give you an idea.
Good luck I hope you give it a go as driving here is far better than driving in the UK.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

sparky66789 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have just come from London with my hgv licence and am in the same boat as you it seems, have you found any companies that recruit brits?

I am in the wellington area.

as they only seem to be interested in kiwis or aussies!!

Originally Posted by rason
I work in Transport I believe if you have the experience then that is the important part. Education is not an issue.
Sounds like you would have a good chance might be worth asking a immigration consultant. If you can get a job then all the better I know some companies actively recruit Poms, Hookers I think aim to do that

As for being 22 prob your best bet is a Working Holiday Visa and take it from there
Hi

Im a new hgv driver to wellington nz and having trouble finding work,

Any suggestions???

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 7th 2011 at 5:43 am.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Come to Christchurch theres plenty advertised at the mo, but you will run into the Kiwi first attitude wherever you are

Gets on my tits, Neil