Any Help

Old Mar 8th 2005, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

jamjo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Any Help

We are currently going through the immagration process, our EOI has been accepted and we are going for our medicals in a few days time. We are appling for a residence visa.
My husband is a Gas Mains/Service Layer and i am a Phlebotomist. We think that his work will be in the Auckland suburbs and hopfully i will be working in one of the hospitals.
The help we need, is where to live? We could not afford to live in Auckland, but we need to live within 30 to 45 mins travelling distance from Auckland. We have 3 children, so need to be near a primary and secondary school.
We are hoping to be taking roughly£100,000 english pounds with us to buy a house. But we were hoping not to have a big morgage, we were thinking of around $100,000 NZ dollars. We don't want to go to a rough neighbourhood. We live in a plesant neighbourhood now and although things will be different, we don't want to jeopardize the childrens safety.
The salarys we have been quoted are $25,000 to $35,000 for myself and $40,000 to $45,000 for my husband. Is this enough of an income to live well on and provide well for our family? is this a decent income in New Zealand. As we have been reading some really scary storys of people losing everything and struggling to make ends meet.
Any advice on this would be really appreciated. Many Thanks.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 7:40 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Help

Hi there

That income is low for Auckland especially if you have a mortgage of some kind. However, you may be able to manage. Has he been offered a job as a Gas Fitter or Drainlayer.

We lived in Bucklands Beach which was lovely but I think might be too pricey. Depends what end of the bridge he will be working at. Do you know yet???
Old Mar 8th 2005, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jamjo
We are currently going through the immagration process, our EOI has been accepted and we are going for our medicals in a few days time. We are appling for a residence visa.
My husband is a Gas Mains/Service Layer and i am a Phlebotomist. We think that his work will be in the Auckland suburbs and hopfully i will be working in one of the hospitals.
The help we need, is where to live? We could not afford to live in Auckland, but we need to live within 30 to 45 mins travelling distance from Auckland. We have 3 children, so need to be near a primary and secondary school.
We are hoping to be taking roughly£100,000 english pounds with us to buy a house. But we were hoping not to have a big morgage, we were thinking of around $100,000 NZ dollars. We don't want to go to a rough neighbourhood. We live in a plesant neighbourhood now and although things will be different, we don't want to jeopardize the childrens safety.
The salarys we have been quoted are $25,000 to $35,000 for myself and $40,000 to $45,000 for my husband. Is this enough of an income to live well on and provide well for our family? is this a decent income in New Zealand. As we have been reading some really scary storys of people losing everything and struggling to make ends meet.
Salaries are on the low side for Auckland, certainly both incomes would be required. The upper scale of your combined salaries ($ 80k) should be fine, especially if you have no real martgage.

I think your looking at between $950 - $1050 per week, after tax if yu want to start budgeting. Im not sure you should say youre not looking in Auckland, but need to be 30 mins from Auckland. Auckland has quite a sprawl, so it depends where in Auckland you live compared to where you work. And while the general cost of living varies little, housing costs certailny vary across Auckland, with more affordable but nice suburbs around. Kiwi dollar is a bit strong, so your looking at $270 k cash, and $370k with a mortgage. Limited choice but doable.

Look at realenz.co.nz

Possible areas (not the poshest but still very nice) include Titirangi, West Harbour to the West, Howick Pakuranga to the East, Birkenhead Albany on the North. Even perhaps Onehunga One Tree Hill more central, but unlikely for under 300k. Another option would be Papakura, south of Auckland (but not "South-Auckland").

Big diff will be if yuore able to be mortage free/ minimal mortage, then $1000 a week should do, otherwise its a bit tight in my opinion.

Have you considered places like Christchurch / Dunedin? Not sure what the job market is like though.

Best of luck, its scary
Old Mar 8th 2005, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Originally Posted by jamjo

As stated - it'll be tight especially if you want to live well like you say. Do plenty of research - salaries seem low for Auckland, where did you get the info?
Old Mar 8th 2005, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scottish
Hi there

That income is low for Auckland especially if you have a mortgage of some kind. However, you may be able to manage. Has he been offered a job as a Gas Fitter or Drainlayer.

We lived in Bucklands Beach which was lovely but I think might be too pricey. Depends what end of the bridge he will be working at. Do you know yet???
jamjo, offered work with a contractor, doing work for vector energy. Have'nt got a clue where i'll be working yet. Just wanted some idea what area we should be looking at that is good. But reasonable priced.
Thanks for your reply.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ukkiwi
As stated - it'll be tight especially if you want to live well like you say. Do plenty of research - salaries seem low for Auckland, where did you get the info?
Basic wage $40,000 to $45,000 with bonus $60,000. We were just thinking that the basics would be enough. Got the info from Auckland district general and friend who is going out in 3 weeks time to work. Thanks
Old Mar 8th 2005, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by newkiwi
Salaries are on the low side for Auckland, certainly both incomes would be required. The upper scale of your combined salaries ($ 80k) should be fine, especially if you have no real martgage.

I think your looking at between $950 - $1050 per week, after tax if yu want to start budgeting. Im not sure you should say youre not looking in Auckland, but need to be 30 mins from Auckland. Auckland has quite a sprawl, so it depends where in Auckland you live compared to where you work. And while the general cost of living varies little, housing costs certailny vary across Auckland, with more affordable but nice suburbs around. Kiwi dollar is a bit strong, so your looking at $270 k cash, and $370k with a mortgage. Limited choice but doable.

Look at realenz.co.nz

Possible areas (not the poshest but still very nice) include Titirangi, West Harbour to the West, Howick Pakuranga to the East, Birkenhead Albany on the North. Even perhaps Onehunga One Tree Hill more central, but unlikely for under 300k. Another option would be Papakura, south of Auckland (but not "South-Auckland").

Big diff will be if yuore able to be mortage free/ minimal mortage, then $1000 a week should do, otherwise its a bit tight in my opinion.

Have you considered places like Christchurch / Dunedin? Not sure what the job market is like though.

Best of luck, its scary
Scary is not the word. Many Thanks.