Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any Health Visitors/Plunket Nurses???

Any Health Visitors/Plunket Nurses???

Old Jan 30th 2010, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Any Health Visitors/Plunket Nurses???

Hi just wondering if there are any HV's on here who have made the move to NZ? If so what job do you have now and what opportunities have you found? I've contacted the Plunket Nurse area manager for the area we are going to and although she's suggested i contact her again when i arrive, she also said there are no jobs coming up I've been trying to do abit of research into other community based paed nurses but coming up with nothing on the south island. Am i missing something or am i destined to go back to ward work.......nights.........aaaarggh!!
Old May 21st 2010, 10:00 am
Just Joined

kiwichick36 is just really nicekiwichick36 is just really nicekiwichick36 is just really nicekiwichick36 is just really nicekiwichick36 is just really nicekiwichick36 is just really nicekiwichick36 is just really nicekiwichick36 is just really nice
Smile Re: Any Health Visitors/Plunket Nurses???

Hi
We moved to NZ nearly a year ago and was working as a community nurse in the UK for 15 years. I qualified as a nurse in NZ and have been working as a district nurse in chch for the past 9 months. Nurses here all do paediatric training so its slightly different than in the UK. Within district nursing here we see lots of children and babies so you may want to look in this area of nursing as well. Might be worth contacting some of these organisations. PM me if you want some more info. Are you actually in NZ now? Its great being here nursing here is rather different than working with the NHS!
Best of luck!
Old May 21st 2010, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Paula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud of
Red face Re: Any Health Visitors/Plunket Nurses???

Hi

My daughter was a Paediatric Nurse and also Adult Nurse qualified in the UK. She got offered a job working in a neonatal ward in a hospital when she first worked in New Zealand and now she is a Public Health Nurse. She is responsible for 7 or 8 schools in the North Island and has her own case load. Pool Car etc., She covers primary and secondary schools and works mostly on her own in the district where her schools are based. From what she tells me her job seems very varied - eg. dental problems, eye problems, hearing problems, and all the other problems that are flagged up by referrals from teachers in the schools that she covers. She goes into these schools to speak to parents and children regarding vaccinations etc., She also does injections over May and June for all the children that need to have them along with her colleagues. She goes into the children's homes to liaise with the parents regarding problems with their children.

To me, having also worked in the NHS for many years, this job appears to be a cross between a School Nurse and a Health Visitor. Most of her colleagues do seem to have paediatric degree/qualification. She sees children from about 4 to 18.