Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any good pubs out there?

Any good pubs out there?

Old Sep 16th 2006, 11:13 am
Just Joined

spatch will become famous soon enough
Default Any good pubs out there?

Just wondering...... do you have pubs in New Zealand and were are the best ones?

Just visited Canada and they definately lack pubs......but then you couldn't go on a pub crawl there as you have to travel miles and miles to get anywhere!

Not that I am thinking of pub crawl! But a nice evening in a pub with good company always goes down well.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Any good pubs out there?

Originally Posted by spatch
Just wondering...... do you have pubs in New Zealand and were are the best ones?

Just visited Canada and they definately lack pubs......but then you couldn't go on a pub crawl there as you have to travel miles and miles to get anywhere!

Not that I am thinking of pub crawl! But a nice evening in a pub with good company always goes down well.
You'll be ok in nz, plenty of pubs
Old Sep 16th 2006, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bramptonbrian
You'll be ok in nz, plenty of pubs
I don't think so! not like in the uk. In the city centres there are a few, but they don't have the same atmosphere as the English pubs. NZ pubs are more like Canada. Not many in rural areas. Also most are cafe bars. If you love English pubs here is not the place to be. A lot of city centres can be very dodgy at night. Europe is much better for the social scene.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 8:47 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

One of the few things I miss here are decent pubs. Waikanae has a popn of 9000 ish and has one main pub/hotel and a couple of 'working men' type clubs.
Agree with above about NZ pubs lacking the same atmosphere etc as your usual Pommie Pub.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biddy
One of the few things I miss here are decent pubs. Waikanae has a popn of 9000 ish and has one main pub/hotel and a couple of 'working men' type clubs.
Agree with above about NZ pubs lacking the same atmosphere etc as your usual Pommie Pub.
hey Biddy,
have you heard that theres an irish guy opening up a cafe/bar place at the old post office at wiakanae beach, don't know what it'll be like but could be good, it was in one of the local rags this week
Old Sep 17th 2006, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

We'll build a bar in our new home-you can all come round and do what you wish!! We'll have crap pool tables,sticky carpets,beer in bottles,beer on draft, proper fights,glassings,badly minging toilets,loads of tellys,fruit machines,it'll be just like the real thing!
Old Sep 17th 2006, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danny.f
We'll build a bar in our new home-you can all come round and do what you wish!! We'll have crap pool tables,sticky carpets,beer in bottles,beer on draft, proper fights,glassings,badly minging toilets,loads of tellys,fruit machines,it'll be just like the real thing!
Cool..... whos gonna be the doorman?? I used to have a Dorrmans license but not any more and dont think a pregnant woman is gonna be much good on the door!! Make sure you get a pinball machine in there too. .... it needs to have flippers that work about 5 seconds after youve pressed the buttons......make sure its never been serviced...... you also need a dart board with crap darts and make sure theres holes in the wall all around the dart board.

Last edited by SarahB; Sep 17th 2006 at 3:09 am.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
Cool..... whos gonna be the doorman?? Make sure you get a pinball machine in there too.

I'll be the doorman-Expats only-with my arms crossed and my meanest stare . Pinball!! Good call! How are you and your future bellyache?
Old Sep 17th 2006, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danny.f
I'll be the doorman-Expats only-with my arms crossed and my meanest stare . Pinball!! Good call! How are you and your future bellyache?
Hiya.... just edited my last post. Haha.... youll be called wan*er more than youve ever been called it before if you are the doorman..... lol.....

Ooops..... we've hijacked this thread.... sorry to the O/P.

To the original question.... there are no pubs where we live..... keep saying I should open one!!

Best take it to the bar danny...
Old Sep 17th 2006, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lizard
I don't think so! not like in the uk. In the city centres there are a few, but they don't have the same atmosphere as the English pubs. NZ pubs are more like Canada. Not many in rural areas. Also most are cafe bars. If you love English pubs here is not the place to be. A lot of city centres can be very dodgy at night. Europe is much better for the social scene.
I agree, cafe bars rather than pubs - there are pubs in Wellington - Murphys in Cuba Street, Molly Malone's Irish Pub in Taranaki Street. Courtney Arms Tavern in Allen Street and most suburbs will have a pub but they're nowhere near as many as the UK.

Wellington City Centre is ok at night - lots of our US and UK visitors are surprised at how unthreatening it is, even late at night - great atmosphere along Courtney Place - buskers, fire-eaters, etc.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Any good pubs out there?

Originally Posted by spatch

Our local is a pub called "The Sandbar" at Mana, just passed Paremata. It has bands on a Friday and Saturday night, also just started a pick up service. You ring the pub, tell them what time and where you want picking up and they drop you back off at home anytime until 1.30 - 2am and they only ask for a donation for the driver. They also do nice meals.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 5:19 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Boopy
Our local is a pub called "The Sandbar" at Mana, just passed Paremata. It has bands on a Friday and Saturday night, also just started a pick up service. You ring the pub, tell them what time and where you want picking up and they drop you back off at home anytime until 1.30 - 2am and they only ask for a donation for the driver. They also do nice meals.
Many places in NZ have a cafe culture rather than a pub culture. Often we've found that friends prefer to meet for coffee and cake in the evening or weekends rather than a pint. There is a lot more being invited round for a meal or coffee at someones house rather than meeting in the pub.
Lots of fab cafes, excellent coffee and hot chocolate. If you love coffee you will have to try a flat white, yum!
Saying that we have a good pub close to us, good pub grub.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lizard
Sounds like this is an aspect you overlooked when choosing where to settle. Never mind picking an area where the schools are good or where you'll find a rewarding career you should have checked out the boozers and gone from there
Within staggering distance Nelson's got 2 very English pubs the Pheasant Plucker and the Prince Albert and another 5 or 6 town centre pubs all less than 10 minutes stroll away
Better mention that the beer is about as good as it was in 1970s when I could stroll along a mile of 20 odd pubs to choose from, even the Guinness is a poor imitation