Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any cheap phone calls from NZ to UK?

Any cheap phone calls from NZ to UK?

Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold
Default Any cheap phone calls from NZ to UK?

With the demise of the 061 cheap phone number, is there any other deals going with telcom for ringing to the UK cheap?
Old Feb 25th 2009, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

anniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud of
Default Re: Any cheap phone calls from NZ to UK?

Hi

I'm not realy in a position to answer this one, but I'm sure my relatives in NZ use a company called 'slingshot' or something like that to get cheaper calls to the UK
Old Feb 25th 2009, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of

You can buy credit from Skype, and use that to make cheap calls back to UK landlines.

Alternatively, you can buy pre-pay cards (From Dairy or similar stores ) ... I had one from compass (V8), to make cheap calls from my vodafone mobile to uk ... 5c per min, + 19c connection charge..
Old Feb 25th 2009, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

we pay 40 dollars a month and that gets us unlimited free calls to the uk, thats with vodafone though imsure telecom have a similer deal. Its great im on the phone to someone from the uk every day
Old Feb 25th 2009, 6:56 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by julesnye
With the demise of the 061 cheap phone number, is there any other deals going with telcom for ringing to the UK cheap?
Did you mean the 0161 call service? - 8c a minute off peak to the UK

If so, where did you hear that its being discontinued? Its still available according to the telecom website
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:51 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I don't suppose you have a Vodafone cell phone?

They have $2 for 60 minutes.

Info here
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:49 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm using my Vodaphone mobile to ring the UK at the moment, $2 for 1 hour though that is to phone a landline not a UK mobile.
It costs $6 for 2 hours on our landline [Telecom] but it does depend on what time you ring - found out after getting a bill with a $65 call on it It seems to be OK if I call early morning or late nights which fits in with times in the UK anyway
Going to investigate skype once my parents get online
Old Feb 26th 2009, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

We have an account with Skype - which gives unlimited telephone calls to the UK (any time). The service is excellent and my parents often say that the reception is better than when my brother rings on a landline a few miles away. It has saved us a heap from our Telecom bill. It is really worth checking out we pay 3.95 euros a month for this I think this is roughly $9
Old Feb 26th 2009, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
we pay 40 dollars a month and that gets us unlimited free calls to the uk, thats with vodafone though imsure telecom have a similer deal. Its great im on the phone to someone from the uk every day
meant to say this is available 24/7 not just peak times
Old Feb 26th 2009, 4:20 am
SLH
Forum Regular

SLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud of

We use Slingshot for everything. It cost us $101 a month for line rental, broadband and unlimited 2 hour calls to the UK and various other places. Checkout their website.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

nzfarmers is a jewel in the roughnzfarmers is a jewel in the roughnzfarmers is a jewel in the roughnzfarmers is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Any cheap phone calls from NZ to UK?

We use a phone card called talk and save http://www.talknsave.co.nz/
Which you can pick up at most dairies (local shops) and load with as much money that suits you. To call the UK it costs 2.3 cents per minute
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NakiMan
Did you mean the 0161 call service? - 8c a minute off peak to the UK

If so, where did you hear that its being discontinued? Its still available according to the telecom website
At Christmas my wife got notification that this number was being phased out at the end of 2008
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Many thanks for all your answers.
I've passed on the vodafone info and the fact that the 0161 is still apparently working
Old Feb 27th 2009, 1:41 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

At Christmas my wife got notification that this number was being phased out at the end of 2008
I've just spoken to the telecom help desk and they confirmed that the 0161 service is still available, is very popular and they have absolutely no plans to phase it out in the forseeable future.

So I think I'll just go on using that, then
Old Feb 27th 2009, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

We use Compass Phone cards the Kia Ora card which costs 3.9 cents per minute including GST to UK, Spain and USA plus other numerous places. You can get one in a supermarket and then keep your pin and just register to top up via your credit card when credit is low. If you get $30 credit they give you an extra 10% free when you top up by credit card. Easy, never ever pay a telecom bill for calls, only connection to the line and free local calls. I even use it for toll calls here in NZ. Yea easy!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.