British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Any builders out that there that want to quote on a renovation in Wellington? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/any-builders-out-there-want-quote-renovation-wellington-838675/)

moonie2011 Jul 13th 2014 9:26 pm

Any builders out that there that want to quote on a renovation in Wellington?

Admin I hope this is allowed :fingerscrossed:
I bought a 1970's house in Wellington which needs complete renovation, we have the plans drawn up. For 6 mths now I have asked builders and kitchen company's to quote, I have asked 5 builders, I got one quote. I asked 4 kitchen companies got 1 quote :confused::confused:
The one building quote takes up all our budget with only 1/2 the house done.
A friend said that builders from other areas may need the work, so heres my appeal.
Board and lodgings can be offered as part of the payment if they are recommend and trusted
Thanks in advance

Jan n Neil Jul 14th 2014 5:27 am

Re: Any builders out that there that want to quote on a renovation in Wellington?

Good luck the standard of tradies over here is shocking they turn up if they feel like it and just seem to make numbers up :thumbdown:

Neil

BEVS Jul 14th 2014 6:37 am

Re: Any builders out that there that want to quote on a renovation in Wellington?

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 11335602)
Good luck the standard of tradies over here is shocking they turn up if they feel like it and just seem to make numbers up

Neil

Except for Mr BEVS of course. :sneaky:

For builders, ensure they are registered.

MOSO Jul 14th 2014 9:21 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11335620)
Except for Mr BEVS of course. :sneaky:

...and the ones we've just used. Turned up when they said, work was a high standard and charged us exactly what they quoted. No issues.

Get recommendations and make sure the builders are clear as to exactly what you want and how much it will cost before you sign on the dotted line. No different to any other country. NZ is so small with a tiny market and all the tradies know each other anyway, so play one off against the other if you can, you've got nothing to lose.

moonie2011 Jul 14th 2014 9:58 am

A builder rung today to say that he won't quote unless I pay for a quantity surveyor to look at the plans and do a costing of the build. When I am happy the QS will write a report which I will give to the builder who will complete his quote :confused::(

britsinnz Jul 16th 2014 8:27 am

Have you tried posting your job on Builders Crack? we have posted a few jobs on there and had quite a few responses. Used a few of the trades and they were really good. Or this site NoCowboys for builders, mechanics, painters, plumbers and more. Find, rate and use Kiwi tradespeople., both sites have whatever trades you need plus reviews from real people who have used them. We found a fantastic plasterer on no cowboys he did the, bedroom, ensuite and walk in wardrobe. Done in 2 days and a third of the price of other trades. He was brilliant. Good luck.