Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any British products New Zealanders would like?!

Any British products New Zealanders would like?!

Old Feb 10th 2013, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any British products New Zealanders would like?!

Originally Posted by clairesw
I've got a brand new jar of Marmite in the cupboard...do you reckon I can bring it with me?! Must be quite valuable??
UK Marmite has no value to Kiwis. Look at Trademe - half eaten jars of Sanitarium Marmite go for silly money whilst UK Marmite (sealed jars) gets no takers!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

mazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud of

Treated myself to a squeezy bottle of salad cream the other day as it worked out the same price as the glass jars, what I didn't work out until I got home is that it cost me more than my bottle of wine!!!!!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a brand new jar of Marmite in the cupboard...do you reckon I can bring it with me?! Must be quite valuable??
A British born, Kiwi raised mate of my OH loves UK Marmite. We take bucket loads out for her.

Last edited by TommyLuck; Feb 11th 2013 at 8:24 am.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

clairesw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
A British born, Kiwi raised mate of my OH love UK Marmite. We take bucket loads out for her.
Good to know, cheers!

It may not be worth much, but it's valuable to me!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know, cheers!

It may not be worth much, but it's valuable to me!
If it's a super duper big jar it would be mucho coveted as we only get to see the piddly littlest jars. Many a Kiwi I know have seen the light and now made the change to UK marmite or Vegemite and will never look back to the Kiwi black boot polish stuff.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:36 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

some IQ points.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomikev
some IQ points.
They're in shortly supply in the UK too ... Presumably why the country is 'going to the dogs'*

*not my words, nor opinion.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:53 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
UK Marmite has no value to Kiwis. Look at Trademe - half eaten jars of Sanitarium Marmite go for silly money whilst UK Marmite (sealed jars) gets no takers!
Mr S was thrilled to find an unopened jar of NZ Marmite when we arrived here. Possibly one of the only ones left in the World Maybe we should have sold it on Trademe I can't stand the stuff personally.

He does not like UK Marmite, completely different apparently...
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

I like Marmite (UK), Marmite (NZ) and Vegemite, in that order of choice.

I don't dislike any of them. Ultimately they're one in the same type of product.

My only problem is that the last two don't soak in to the toast along with the hot butter as well as UK Marmite.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 4:04 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
I like Marmite (UK), Marmite (NZ) and Vegemite, in that order of choice.

I don't dislike any of them. Ultimately they're one in the same type of product.

My only problem is that the last two don't soak in to the toast along with the hot butter as well as UK Marmite.
Tell that to Mr S, he finds UK Marmite inedible. He was sent to work outside NZ soon after we met and requested Marmite. Wanting to impress him big time I sent him two big jars of UK marmite. They're probably still there
Old Feb 11th 2013, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think I'm right in saying that UK and NZ Marmite are produced by two different companies. The former is Unilever, not sure about NZ Marmite, but I'm pretty sure it's not Unilever ...
Old Feb 11th 2013, 4:24 pm
Queen of the Underworld

NZ marmite is made by Sanitarium, I've had a quick Google and cannot see any obvious link to Unilever.
From Wikipedia:
The product's popularity prompted the Sanitarium Health Food Company to obtain sole rights to distribute the product in New Zealand and Australia in 1908.[7] They later began manufacturing Marmite under licence in Christchurch, albeit using a modified version of the original recipe, most notable for its inclusion of sugar and caramel.[1] Common ingredients are also slightly different quantities from the British version;[1] the New Zealand version has high levels of potassium, for example. New Zealand Marmite is described as having a "weaker" or "less tangy" flavour than the British version.[1] It is distributed throughout Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 7:04 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

NZ Marmite as made by Sanitarium (or not at present, factory still out of action). Is revolting ! I could tell it had sugar in it, yuk !

I'm glad it is readily available here in NZ in the familiar jars with the yellow lid, just re-branded, 'My Mate'.

I've still got the second of the two jars of Marmite my sister sent me last year which were branded, 'Ma'mite' for the Queens Jubilee last year. Then I've got a jar of Marmite that was in the hamper she sent at Christmas.

Then I'll be back to buying, 'My Mate' when that's gone. My husband, a kiwi, doesn't like Marmite of any description.

I accept what Persephone said re: Marmite since 1908 but how they pass NZ Marmite off as Marmite is beyond me !
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:35 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Persephone
Tell that to Mr S, he finds UK Marmite inedible.

HeHe. I find the NZ Marmite........ slippery . Yuk! My choice here is Vegemite.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Natandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really nice

Vimto and a really good bacon sandwich

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.