Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any advice on a Child Minding career??

Any advice on a Child Minding career??

Old Mar 1st 2008, 5:53 am
Just Joined

sophiekins is a jewel in the roughsophiekins is a jewel in the roughsophiekins is a jewel in the roughsophiekins is a jewel in the roughsophiekins is a jewel in the rough
Default Any advice on a Child Minding career??

Hi - I am in Wellington (Lower Hutt) with Husband and two boys (13 and 6 years). We are currently on work visas (3 Years), but applying for perm. res. this year. I have always worked in accounts, but really fancy childminding on a full time basis. Does anyone know if I need to be registered, and if so how do I go about it? I can't seem to find any req's. on the net, even though I've registrered with a couple of agencies - they havn't requested any reg. details. I have my police check cert. and good refferences, but nothing else!

Any advice would be warmly received - thanks! x
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:53 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any advice on a Child Minding career??

Maybe try having a chat with Plunkett??
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

Soph, get in touch with PORSE or Barnados, both in the yellow pages. Joe goes to a PORSE childminder at the moment and there is a real shortage of childcarers at the moment (at least over our way). I think Barnados give you money to set up, PORSE don't. Also they are a good option for families as families can access EEC throuh both(government subsidies). If you want more info give me a ring - I'm sure Joe's childminder would have a chat with you.
Wish you lived nearer My childminder has gone part time so I'm having to change Joe's childcare.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

oolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really nice

Where abouts in Lower Hutt are you? We are in central Lower Hutt. Have 2 kids - 5 year old girl and 2 year old boy. Not the answer to your question I know!
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Google "home based childcare" and you should come up with some agencies that run this. Most will train you on the job, pay for you to take a 1st Aid cert and help with child placements, offer support, organise coffee mornings/outing etc, etc.

PORSE and Banardos are two of the largest, but there are other smaller agencies from town to town.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:25 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Don't expect to earn much though..............
Home-based care is pretty cheap here and that's because the caregiver is paid very little indeed - even by Kiwi standards.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lardyl
Don't expect to earn much though..............
Home-based care is pretty cheap here and that's because the caregiver is paid very little indeed - even by Kiwi standards.
Ah, but because the home is now classed as a workplace, you can expect to only pay $5 tax out of every $100 earned. Makes for more money in your back pocket instead of the tax man. Therefore, someone with three fulltime children (50 hours a week) in their charge could earn a modest salary in the region of $2,400 net a month.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

I was a Registered Childminder in the UK for 5 years before coming out here last year. I was going to get back into it but the pay really is appalling!!! You also have to be a Permanent Resident before you can go into Childcare here. Porse won't take anyone on without Residency but you can train to Level 3 with them for between $200-300 and I'm not sure about Barnados but give them a call and find out for yourself how it is.

www.porsenz.com

www.barnardos.org.nz

Good Luck x
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:21 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlmckay
Ah, but because the home is now classed as a workplace, you can expect to only pay $5 tax out of every $100 earned. Makes for more money in your back pocket instead of the tax man. Therefore, someone with three fulltime children (50 hours a week) in their charge could earn a modest salary in the region of $2,400 net a month.
How do we get to the 5% tax/ACC levy by working from home? I'd be quite interested in that.........and to meet your accountant
By the by, as we pay $4.5/hr for Barnardos there is a maximum of say $4 a child-hour for the caregiver. You've gotta be pretty well organised to get all of those spaces filled - most care-givers I know have nowhere near 150 child-hours per week filled, both of the two we had our kids with had about 60 - 80% take-up when they were busiest (based on a 50 hour week!), plus they often have their own kids and sometimes have to place them in childcare to fit in with their "full-timers".
The up-side I suppose is that the care-giver will attract their own benefits from the state in form of tax credits, etc, so if you have your own kids to look after and can live with it then a couple more for a few days a week will make some extra dough - but $30k net a year is pushing it for most people. In fact that is approaching what I was taking home on a $60k salary.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

How do we get to the 5% tax/ACC levy by working from home? I'd be quite interested in that.........and to meet your accountant
Hmm, well, I've never earned anywhere near $60K salary , but in any case, this is a quote from JeMMa's Family Day Care Service.

Do Educarers Pay Tax?
In common with other Family Day Care Services throughout the country, JeMMa's Family Day Care Educarers are not employees of JeMMa's and so have no employment relationship with JeMMa's. Therefore Educarers are responsible for any income tax liability on the money they receive. Under present tax law, Educarers are liable for tax on their reimbursements less their costs incurred in providing that care. This may be either the actual costs, for which full records must be kept, or the "Standard Cost of Care" as set out in IRD's Determination DET001 dated 10 May 2004. Educarers are advised to put aside at least $5 of every $100 received to meet their tax liability. Educarers are also responsbile for any ACC levies on their income
So I guess you pay your own ACC levies, but that's still going to be cheaper than 20% income tax??
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:50 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by dlmckay
....So I guess you pay your own ACC levies, but that's still going to be cheaper than 20% income tax??
Yes, it would seem so - from the ways things are panning out I am unlikely ever to make $60k again............its raining heavily now so no more mowing for me today
Just "real" (but none-remunerative ) work - forms to fill, people to call and other business-type stuff to sort out!
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:55 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Educarers are liable for tax on their reimbursements less their costs incurred in providing that care.
suppose in the case of my two "angels" the legitimate additional costs of working the educarer could claim would include:

hair replacement therapy for all the hair they (and the little-ie) will tear out
prozac/valllium
osteopath treatment for back injuries caused by child struggling when picked up
increased health insurance premiums
replacement of broken toys/ornaments/wall finishings
sound-proofing costs for playroom
cleaning bills for carpets walls etc
etc
etc
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Take it from an experienced Childcarer, these are only the tip of the iceberg
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:02 am
you dewty owld maan!

I wondered why you had the limp and that "odd tick".......
BTW, Lisa has sent the form today - hope you had a decent break, at football on Sunday I almost broke my arm (havent plucked up courage to go and get it x-rayed but there is very little pain just a fair bit of swelling! - could be hairline??)
Oddly enough I have only ever broken bones at football - two toes in 5-a-side and a bone in my right hand when I punched one of my team-mates, greenstick as I was about 14!
Tell Carl he needs to be on his guard!
Shameful to admit it but this one was slipping on the clubhouse stairs after half a bottle of Stella......wot a lightweight!
Old Mar 4th 2008, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

BTW, Lisa has sent the form today - hope you had a decent break
Shameful to admit it but this one was slipping on the clubhouse stairs after half a bottle of Stella......wot a lightweight!
Oooh please thank Lisa for me

Also, I nearly slipped down those steps the other week, they're lethal !!! Should have a trampoline at the bottom

Had a fantastic break thankyou, we loved it and had a fantabulous time - can't wait to go back! I highly recommend it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.