Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any "accidental marriage"-laws in NZ?

Any "accidental marriage"-laws in NZ?

Old Oct 26th 2016, 4:44 am
Just Joined

JohnLH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any "accidental marriage"-laws in NZ?

Hi, in many countries around the world there are some dangerous laws regarding inviting someone to live with you, for example:
Australia: If your girlfriend lives with you for a certain length then she's entitled to things similar to if you had been married.
Sweden: If you move into a house with a girl she now owns half of it, even if you paid 100% of it and she wasn't your wife.

I'm wondering, does NZ have any similar laws?
Old Oct 26th 2016, 4:56 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Any "accidental marriage"-laws in NZ?

Yes. We have laws here.

Have a read HERE
Old Oct 29th 2016, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Yes. We have laws here.

Have a read HERE
Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for!
Old Oct 30th 2016, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly fell off my chair laughing at "Accidental Marriage"!

Bev has provided a link to an excellent guide on Relationship Property laws - good work Bev
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I bet the girls are falling over themselves to be with a sincere guy like you
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Wow, I bet the girls are falling over themselves to be with a sincere guy like you
My first thought on reading the OP was wow, he sounds like a catch. I thought it would be mean to post it. But now I have.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 8:08 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, it's good to be aware of this. I know a woman who lost her home due to relationship property. In hindsight she probably should have seen it coming but she was in LOVE. He walked off with half of the $500,000 house she owned when they met. You can sign an agreement identifying separate property when you first move in together. It's worth reading up on it.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
To be fair, it's good to be aware of this. I know a woman who lost her home due to relationship property. In hindsight she probably should have seen it coming but she was in LOVE. He walked off with half of the $500,000 house she owned when they met. You can sign an agreement identifying separate property when you first move in together. It's worth reading up on it.
Yes someone I know owned her own home and cars etc and 'fell in love' ... she lost quite a lot when they broke up. Looking from the outside in you could see it coming but obviously she wasn't going to listen to any of that.
'They' say 'in love' only actually lasts for about 18 months don't they, it's just a crazy chemical imbalance.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 5:28 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

If the "partner" has contributed to the upkeep and day to day running of the home I do not see why they should not get anything out of it. I know a friend of mine in the UK moved into her partners house, she had to keep all receipts for payments of groceries, bills and other stuff related to the house to prove she was contributing to the upkeep and day to day running, just in case things went wrong and she was left homeless.
As others have stated either get it in writing that the house remains yours and the partner has no legal right to it and make them pay rent, officially then no one is in any doubt as to who has the right to what.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 4:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jmh
Indeed, I know many who are heavy addicts on suicide-watch because they lost everything because they had no idea about such laws (i'm not talking about NZ here).
Old Nov 6th 2016, 6:54 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

It is surely illegal for the OP to live with a girl. I suggest he sticks to adults, be they men or women.