Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anti-social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour

Old May 13th 2005, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future
Default Anti-social behaviour

I realise that anti-social behaviour must exist in New Zealand but is it as bad as it is in the UK? Is there as much vandalism, thuggery, aggression etc? Is there a gang of hooded youths on every street corner in every town and city after nightfall?

I'm not someone who likes the rose tinted glasses thing so you can be totally honest (either way)!

tottefan.

Last edited by tottefan; May 13th 2005 at 12:06 am.
Old May 13th 2005, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Cassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Anti-social behaviour

Originally Posted by tottefan
I realise that anti-social behaviour must exist in New Zealand but is it as bad as it is in the UK? Is there as much vandalism, thuggery, aggression etc? Is there a gang of hooded youths on every street corner in every town and city after nightfall?

I'm not someone who likes the rose tinted glasses thing so you can be totally honest (either way)!

tottefan.
I think that the best way to look at is that there is anti social behaviour everywhere and I think that some areas, just like the UK, are worse than others. New Zealand is not perfect in terms of gangs, youths and the hoon/boy racer type stuff but its all about what you are used to. I personally find Christchurch city centre more intimidating than Edinburgh city centre (where I lived before here) but others coming from different parts of the UK might find Christchurch really good as they are used to much more bad stuff.

People get murdered here just like anywhere (in fact a prostitute was killed a few weeks ago in Chc) and children get bullied just like anywhere.

I must be honest, I thought when coming here that there would be a lot less than there is. That was just me looking through rose coloured specs!

The key is that human behaviour is the same all over the world. You must remember NZ might not appear to have as much but then the population is tiny tiny compaired to the UK. There is no point in compairing them both as they are so different. It would only work to compaire if the countries had the same population.

Are you moving here?
Old May 13th 2005, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Cassa

Are you moving here?

I'm undecided between Aussie and NZ at the moment.

Tottefan
Old May 13th 2005, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

Cassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura about

I'm undecided between Aussie and NZ at the moment.

Tottefan

Which are you swaying towards?I have only been to Aussie a few times so cannot really say which I prefer. When do you have to decide? why do you want to leave the UK?
Old May 13th 2005, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Which are you swaying towards?I have only been to Aussie a few times so cannot really say which I prefer. When do you have to decide? why do you want to leave the UK?
It's pretty 50-50. I like the thought of NZ not having dangerous animals but I've also always wanted to live in Australia. I have to decide in the next 6 months. As for why I want to leave the UK it's just simply for an adventure and the fact that I love nature. The British Press, including Tony Blair, have been talking about yobbish behaviour today, and the lack of what he describes as 'respect' in today's Britain. The British press and our tv programmes paint a rosy picture of life abroad so I wondered whether it is true that Britain is really worse than other countries.

tottefan.
Old May 13th 2005, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

It's pretty 50-50. I like the thought of NZ not having dangerous animals but I've also always wanted to live in Australia. I have to decide in the next 6 months. As for why I want to leave the UK it's just simply for an adventure and the fact that I love nature. The British Press, including Tony Blair, have been talking about yobbish behaviour today, and the lack of what he describes as 'respect' in today's Britain. The British press and our tv programmes paint a rosy picture of life abroad so I wondered whether it is true that Britain is really worse than other countries.

tottefan.
I will pm you some links to articles so you can check for yourself. my personal opinion is that you get trouble everywhere. Its exisited forever its only now that people do statistics and news is so widespread that we know so much about it.
Will send you them soon
Old May 13th 2005, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

I will pm you some links to articles so you can check for yourself. my personal opinion is that you get trouble everywhere. Its exisited forever its only now that people do statistics and news is so widespread that we know so much about it.
Will send you them soon
There was a VERY disturbing documentary on "Tonite" with trevor MacDonald last nite about the new yob craze of "Happy Slapping" where gangs of yoofs go around slapping innocent bystanders round the face/head and videoing it with their mobile phones......of course its all escalating as the different gangs try to outdo each other and one poor man sleeping in a bus stop was even set on fire..OMG....gotta get outta here asap...even if this kinda crap happens in NZ, as you say Cass at least it happens LESS as there's less people...the UK is just turning into another state of the USA same as Australia(IMHO!!!!!)

Dave
Old May 13th 2005, 9:37 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to admit I watched that programme too last night and was horrified. I havent came across anything like that yet, and I work in one of the worst parts of Glasgow. Tell you something if a wee bugger tries that with me I will ram the mobile phone down his throat and take a picture of his tonsils.

What I dont understand is where do they learn this from????
Old May 14th 2005, 12:22 am
Franklin

tottefan.
Is there any way you can try both? Is it true if you become a citizen of Australia you gain the right to move and live/work in NZ? If so, is it true in reverse? If true, maybe the choice is not so stark. You could try the country that allows you later to enter the other country. But sure, it is going to prove costly if you find you have to move to the other country. But hey, maybe it takes two shakes to land on the right (for you) dice!

But whatever you decide. The best of British luck to you.

Old May 14th 2005, 12:24 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by scottish
Have to admit I watched that programme too last night and was horrified. I havent came across anything like that yet, and I work in one of the worst parts of Glasgow. Tell you something if a wee bugger tries that with me I will ram the mobile phone down his throat and take a picture of his tonsils.

What I dont understand is where do they learn this from????
Unfortunately the media is not really helping here ... giving the craze the oxygen of publicity in Margaret Thatcher speak.

Old May 14th 2005, 4:01 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paladin
There was a VERY disturbing documentary on "Tonite" with trevor MacDonald last nite about the new yob craze of "Happy Slapping" where gangs of yoofs go around slapping innocent bystanders round the face/head and videoing it with their mobile phones......of course its all escalating as the different gangs try to outdo each other and one poor man sleeping in a bus stop was even set on fire..OMG....gotta get outta here asap...even if this kinda crap happens in NZ, as you say Cass at least it happens LESS as there's less people...the UK is just turning into another state of the USA same as Australia(IMHO!!!!!)

Dave
Oh my gosh I couldnt imagine living with that. I do know there is a lot of gang problems everywhere & sadly it just seems to be a way of life for some people. I dont find it an acceptable thing but dont know how we are ever going to stop it. It is a problem in NZ but then its a problem everywhere these days.
A few years ago there was a lot of stories in the media about the problem CHCH had with boot boys etc. I knew it was about but was fortunate enough to have never seen any myself. Think sometimes the media has a lot to answer for because in some isolated incidents they focus on them making it appear that these are regular occurences & that must be so off putting for a lot of people.
On one trip to Oz I saw a little aborginal girl set on fire by fellow students just because she was aboriginal. She was only about 6 or 7 & althought she did survive her injuries were horrific. Also saw a homeless man sleeping in a park set alight too but he sadly didnt survive. So these things do happen everywhere & its a terrible thing to see or read about. Maybe one day we can all learn to live in peace & make this world a better place.
Old May 16th 2005, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shepslady
.....Maybe one day we can all learn to live in peace & make this world a better place.
I couldn't agree more!!!!

Dave