Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The anti Englishness around NZ is becoming embarrassing

The anti Englishness around NZ is becoming embarrassing

Old Oct 2nd 2011, 7:13 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The anti Englishness around NZ is becoming embarrassing

Originally Posted by barnsleymat View Post
Last night made me smile. We ended up at the bar in Henderson, it was pretty obvious after a few minutes the entire place wanted Scotland to win, we were the only real Brits there. We weren't really watching the rugby as neither of us are interested, but hearing how desperate the locals were to see England lose I took it on myself to get behind England. They did not like it one bit, at the end of the game they all stormed off home almost in tears. Of of em collared ne at the bar and asked me about the game, i said I wasn't too bothered (he then finished my sentence) 'cos it's only Rugby'. They're finally getting the message!

So my question is this: Who will the yocals be cheering on in England v France?
You are not quite getting it yet..... Take away the coloured shirts and names and cheer for the quality of the Rugby itself. Then for extra spice support the team who pleases you most. AB's for excellence, Fiji for the love, Japan for inventiveness, Italy for learning so quick. The chances are the bar crowd were merely doing just that, getting behind Scotland who manage to make a National team from a handful of border clubs and rely on pure passion playing against a major juggernaught......
Don't keep trying to relate the games fans to soccer followers, we do it to share a beer ....not a brawl...
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 7:18 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
Oh, heck, do I live in a bubble here then . I have genuinely never encountered any serious anti-Englishness in NZ. A bit of gentle ribbing maybe, but nothing that I can't handle or give back in equal measure. That said I'm not all that fussed about the rugby, am casually watching, even went to watch the Ireland v Russia game because that was quite literally 10 mins from my home and it seemed like a worthwhile experience (loved it btw & the atmosphere was crazy), but I just can't get that excited about a game. It's a sport, they all try hard but there's winners and losers....big deal
Well said I've never come across any anti English it's all light hearted fun
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999 View Post
You are not quite getting it yet..... Take away the coloured shirts and names and cheer for the quality of the Rugby itself. Then for extra spice support the team who pleases you most. AB's for excellence, Fiji for the love, Japan for inventiveness, Italy for learning so quick. The chances are the bar crowd were merely doing just that, getting behind Scotland who manage to make a National team from a handful of border clubs and rely on pure passion playing against a major juggernaught......
Don't keep trying to relate the games fans to soccer followers, we do it to share a beer ....not a brawl...
One small problem, I really don't like the game, only going in to meet fellow expats.

Trust me, these Kiwi's were nearly crying. I sat next to the door so when the match ended they had to walk past me laughing. If I want say the Spanish to beat the Germans and they don't, I'm not that bothered, this lot were.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 7:53 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

One small problem, I really don't like the game, only going in to meet fellow expats.

Trust me, these Kiwi's were nearly crying. I sat next to the door so when the match ended they had to walk past me laughing. If I want say the Spanish to beat the Germans and they don't, I'm not that bothered, this lot were.
Ah but they might have been Glasgow born Kiwi's.....
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the england v sweaty socks game last night, the england supporters were PATHETIC.
No support for the team at any point during the game. The scots (those with scottish accents)
were very passionate and very vocal. Yes there was an appreciation and respect fo the opposition
but they actually supported their team, The England fans were a disgrace, all sat on their hands with their
stiff upper lips looking out of place and embarrassed.
All the other competing nations have supporters who actually WANT their team to win
England has a an army of idiots who are to busy trying not to upset anyone and prove they are good sports
rather than getting behind the team.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 9:55 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jobry01 View Post
the only people mentioning hate are yourselves

most scottish football fans support an english team (goes back to when scots were the back bone of every decent english team long long ago) along with a scottish one, i put manu badge instead of hibs for a change but god do some folk jump at things without trying to see the fun in it

so to try and avoid anymore bitterness will say well done england you will beat france then who knows
reallly - check out the number of Scots wearing the Argentine no.10 shirt - Ironic really as the Argies have just put them out
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 10:01 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol View Post
I went to the england v sweaty socks game last night, the england supporters were PATHETIC.
No support for the team at any point during the game. The scots (those with scottish accents)
were very passionate and very vocal. Yes there was an appreciation and respect fo the opposition
but they actually supported their team, The England fans were a disgrace, all sat on their hands with their
All the other competing nations have supporters who actually WANT their team to win
England has a an army of idiots who are to busy trying not to upset anyone and prove they are good sports
Yeah on the box it looked pretty flat there - not much passion as you say but lots of the support would be from plastic (and otherwise) Kiwi Jocks.

I had the opposite experience being the only England fan in the bar in me mates palatial farm with the O35s football team, some of who were born in England and been in NZ for 15 to 40 years. There were wives there, Aussies, Yarpies, the whole lot 30 or more Scotland fans with the odd jersey and one vocal England fan.
And they were all going at the only England fan - lots of "come on England" when we were behind, while I was wearing me college England-style shirt and waving a couple of George crosses. It was a great time and as the designated I was stone cold sober.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

karron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nice

for someone who really does not like the game you seem to spend a fair bit of time getting annoyed about it. you come across as one of those people who go out of the way to be offended,and also seem to be going out of your way to try and offend.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

selondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really nice

Originally Posted by Justcol View Post
Yes we went to the Dunedin games. Tried to get some singing going but all the English had seemed to have exhausted themselves carrying flags and getting facepaint. We've been to Twickenham numerous times and know what real support is. I can only assume the English support here is mostly expats who wouldn't normally be seen dead at a rugby game or rich tourists
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 10:26 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Stormer999 View Post
If you took time to listen to the NZ radio stations and the TV coverage you'd see it is almost as one-eyed as the Aussie commentators can make it.

As a result Kiwis are told that the England players are bully boys, who womanise, drink too much and can only score from the boot or from a rolling maul - unless it's a foreigner playing for them -- ignoring that many of the S Hemisphere (and the Japanese) national teams who involve plenty of nationalised players (Japan got plenty of support from that angle).

So on top of the layers of "kid brother syndrome", rivalry with/dislike of English from Celtic immigrants, small county vs. big country you have the idea that England never deserved to win RWC and how the northern hemisphere (aside from the French) play boring or negative rugby. So most Kiwis who are not English born will tend to the opposition (unless it's Aussie).

My experience of Kiwis from work, sports clubs and community is that there is some dislike of Brits and more so of the English. This is far more prevalent in those who've not worked in Europe and more so in those who've never left the country for any sort of OE. These people also are more likely to be racist WRT Asians, Maori, Pasifika, etc. Also they are less likely to accept the ideas of other groups and seem to be more resistant to change.

I recall speaking to a friend who's not done OE and mentioned something about the Police in the UK and he got stuck in straight away saying that this is what we should do here - essentially that any new ideas were not the NZ way. The other guy who was listening (best mate of the bloke who put down the UK) was a Kiwi who had worked in the UK and Aus and immediately his eyes rolled.

Don't ever go down that road any more with him. Never did after a while at work, and chatting to a (Kiwi) psychologist that other week she said that many immigrants have suffered serious stress from this type of work problem as a result of outdated/dangerous workplace practice being forced on them, particularly in the medical field. Doesn't surprise me really.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 5:59 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Once again I am clearly living in a completely different NZ to some of you ... Thank goodness!!
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karron View Post
for someone who really does not like the game you seem to spend a fair bit of time getting annoyed about it. you come across as one of those people who go out of the way to be offended,and also seem to be going out of your way to try and offend.
I'm offended by your comments!
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 6:51 pm

I'm offended by your comments!
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 7:06 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Not come across any serious anti-english just usual fan banter. Watched every game so far in various bars, cafes, clouds or stadia and all been good fun. More anti-aussi really but even that not aggressive. Maybe Auckland city, waterfront and North Shore are just friendlier then other parts !!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Well its the pub for me for the rest of the games...more atmosphere

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.