Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The anti Englishness around NZ is becoming embarrassing

The anti Englishness around NZ is becoming embarrassing

Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The anti Englishness around NZ is becoming embarrassing

Originally Posted by Stormer999
I have never heard of rooting in that context you may be thinking of rutting...
Rooting is supporting as KP pointed out.

Seems you're the one hard of understanding: and we're not mistaken.

Because you've never heard any other context you must make you right of course!! Just don't be rooting the next door neighbours daughter playing in the local netball team, or you'll find yourself in big trouble.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:10 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Daily Mail with its finger on the pulse of the nation:

We're all Welsh for one day: England rugby fans root for the reds in World Cup semi (well, they are playing the French)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...al-France.html
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:16 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Seems you're the one hard of understanding: and we're not mistaken.

Because you've never heard any other context you must make you right of course!! Just don't be rooting the next door neighbours daughter playing in the local netball team, or you'll find yourself in big trouble.
I read Stormer's post to mean he hadn't heard that definition in the UK. I haven't either, but am aware of the NZ meaning.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 7:01 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
I read Stormer's post to mean he hadn't heard that definition in the UK. I haven't either, but am aware of the NZ meaning.
Thank you jmh... I some times worry about BJ.... I am not in NZ BJ........yet....
Old Oct 15th 2011, 7:23 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
I have never heard of rooting in that context you may be thinking of rutting...
Rooting is supporting as KP pointed out.
yeah right......
get your facts straight or wind your neck in.

In actual fact you root for a team, you don't root them.
Even our friends from the USA would spot that and they do more rootin' for teams/players/the good old USofA then any other people on the planet..

actually you can get rooted by a team - that expression has been used on the football field when we were getting stuffed or stuffing the oposition.

Last edited by lardyl; Oct 15th 2011 at 7:27 am.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 7:26 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kamburu pat
It seems I've used an expression that is an everday one but not in NZ? OK. just to be clear, I will be supporting the All Blacks this Sunday.
nope you've commented on what Kiwis are like in your experience and then validated that experience as being not worth very much at all........quite amusing and the irony was not lost on Bo - good on her I say