British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   The anti Englishness around NZ is becoming embarrassing (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/anti-englishness-around-nz-becoming-embarrassing-734098/)

barnsleymat Sep 29th 2011 9:03 pm

The anti Englishness around NZ is becoming embarrassing

Some event at Vector Arena tonight for the Plastic Scots and now this story in the Herald. It's cringe worthy and totally embarrassing.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10755432

Small Country mentality. They've got quite a chip on there shoulder about us English, we have visits from an engineer at work and he's very bitter about me being English. I enjoy piss taking as most Brits do but it's more like constant digs about being a 'Soft Pommy Soccer C--t'. No wonder Kiwi's sometimes get the 'backwards' tag.

jmh Sep 29th 2011 9:27 pm

Re: The anti Englishness around NZ is becoming embarrassing

How is it small town mentality for kiwi's to be supporting the Scots? They're hardly locals.

karron Sep 29th 2011 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 9648890)
Some event at Vector Arena tonight for the Plastic Scots and now this story in the Herald. It's cringe worthy and totally embarrassing.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10755432

Small Country mentality. They've got quite a chip on there shoulder about us English, we have visits from an engineer at work and he's very bitter about me being English. I enjoy piss taking as most Brits do but it's more like constant digs about being a 'Soft Pommy Soccer C--t'. No wonder Kiwi's sometimes get the 'backwards' tag.

just coming across as the typical whinging pom.....

BEVS Sep 29th 2011 9:46 pm

Really? You don't think it's a trifle odd behaviour considering Kiwis are neither Scottish nor English.

How about if it were Twickenham with an Aussie v NZ game on and all the English rugby fans turned up in Aussie colours . You wouldn't think that somewhat bizarre?

I can see an AB fan wanting to support the best outcome for their own team within the pool games etc but that's really rather strange TBH. Go as an AB fan and wear that jersey. After all , they whinge about the black strip enough.

I'm glad I'm not going to be in that crowd. Could well be a great game to watch but that lot would ruin any possible all round atmosphere.

Wiz'n'Ton Sep 29th 2011 9:55 pm

Kiwi's sure love to rip us Poms more than anyone else - even the Aussies. I went to the England vs Argentina and England vs Romania games in Dunedin, and the place was rammed with students and kiwi's supporting the team playing against us. It gets them off. They'd even learnt all the Argie chants and everything - having practice sessions before the match etc. Good on em I say - adds a decent atmosphere and none seemed bad natured. There will be enough Brits at the Ireland match to hold their end up for sure.

Look at the Irish vs Aussie match - reckon they were all true Paddies? Yeah nah!

I don't reckon it's odd - I find it kind of makes sense in a twisted sort of way. Gives them a chance to get back at the homeland. Why that is I don't know, but there you go.

jmh Sep 29th 2011 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9648968)

How about if it were Twickenham with an Aussie v NZ game on and all the English rugby fans turned up in Aussie colours . You wouldn't think that somewhat bizarre?

The English wouldn't turn up at all if England wasn't playing.

barnsleymat Sep 29th 2011 10:02 pm

When the only rivalry the Kiwi's have with another nation is based on a who invented a dessert and some stars on a flag no wonder they're pushing their noses in on a proper rivalry. Bless em with their ginger wigs and tartan skirts.

barnsleymat Sep 29th 2011 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by karron (Post 9648950)
just coming across as the typical whinging pom.....

I thought I was a decent whinger until I moved to NZ, I'm put to shame by them, they're born whingers and they have nothing to whinge about.

timmy22 Sep 29th 2011 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 9648996)
I thought I was a decent whinger until I moved to NZ, I'm put to shame by them, they're born whingers and they have nothing to whinge about.

No Big Deal

England's a Threat, so are the Aussies and South Africans
Why wouldn't they want you to lose ????????

BEVS Sep 29th 2011 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 9648987)
The English wouldn't turn up at all if England wasn't playing.

*sigh*. That is so not true. I can state that from actual experience . Next you'll be telling me that the UK has no gardens & it's coast to coast non-stop rain.

You know. Not all Kiwis feel the need to behave this way . We know folks around us here who are embarrassed by this barracking, somewhat aggressive behaviour & the never ending, repetitive tags that some of their fellow Kiwis come out with.
So it's not everyone that behaves like a muppet.

barnsleymat Sep 29th 2011 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by timmy22 (Post 9649037)
No Big Deal

England's a Threat, so are the Aussies and South Africans
Why wouldn't they want you to lose ????????

There's wanting a threat to lose and then there's dressing up, painting your face blue and holding events at Vector Arena.

Addictedtosushi Sep 29th 2011 11:00 pm

Who do the Kiwis like?

They hate the English,ozzies,french,USA and the S Africans.

You would not think this was a world cup they never even mention the teams above.
Prime example this morning they were talking about All Blacks game on Sunday not one mention of the EnglandvScotland.

I am out of this country soon and its going to be so good not being surrounded by insular,childish boring people.

Heres a conversation with a Kiwi:

Me:How was your holiday?Did you have a nice time?
Kiwi:Yup silence,silence,silence,silence,silence,silence zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Me:Bye I am just going to stick needles in my eyes it will be more enjoyable.
Kiwi:Yup silence,silence,silence zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

jmh Sep 29th 2011 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9649063)
Next you'll be telling me that the UK has no gardens & it's coast to coast non-stop rain.

No I won't. I've lived there for 24 years so I am fully aware of how beautiful many parts of the country are and how pleasant the weather can be (and no I'm not being sarcastic).

waikatoguy Sep 30th 2011 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Addictedtosushi (Post 9649097)
Who do the Kiwis like?

They hate the English,ozzies,french,USA and the S Africans.

You don't want to confuse sporting rivalry with hate. Kiwi's are barracking for the Scots because the English are more of a threat to an All Black victory. It's really as simple as that. The same goes for the Australians. And the crowd will probably be on the side of Samoa against South Africa. It's all about going for the underdog because most of the games are forgone conclusions. If you listen to Englishman Miles Davis on Radio Sport, he has good natured jibes at the Kiwis, Irish, Scots, French, Aussies etc ... and no one seems too bothered.

Wiz'n'Ton Sep 30th 2011 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Addictedtosushi (Post 9649097)
Heres a conversation with a Kiwi:

Me:How was your holiday?Did you have a nice time?
Kiwi:Yup silence,silence,silence,silence,silence,silence zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Me:Bye I am just going to stick needles in my eyes it will be more enjoyable.
Kiwi:Yup silence,silence,silence zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

^ Absolute GOLD! I have been in that situation several times. I've had better conversations with the Moeraki boulders than some Kiwi chaps. :thumbsup: