Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The anti Englishness around NZ is becoming embarrassing

The anti Englishness around NZ is becoming embarrassing

Old Oct 2nd 2011, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The anti Englishness around NZ is becoming embarrassing

Originally Posted by Tomsk
Oh, heck, do I live in a bubble here then . I have genuinely never encountered any serious anti-Englishness in NZ. A bit of gentle ribbing maybe, but nothing that I can't handle or give back in equal measure.
Ditto what Cate says. Never had a problem at all.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 9:01 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Well its the pub for me for the rest of the games...more atmosphere
can't understand about the atmosphere - we've always had great fun at Eden Park watching the ABs and even watching England. But we've always been on the terraces or up on the scaffolding. And the France-Japan game was great at Nth Harbour.

Anyway I've splashed out and got tickets for the France game for me and the boy, doubt we'll get the chance to see a world cup QF again.

RWC website was struggling to sell you tickets this morning so someone must be buying tickets !!
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 10:49 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit I've not encountered any anti-Englishness; only the usual playful banter in which case I give as good back and no one takes any offence.

Even got my Kiwi partner to support England on Saturday. He wanted the Scots to win as it would make the AB's journey a bit easier but realised that it would only be fair to support England as I support NZ when they're playing
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Will the locals be dressing up as Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys on Saturday?
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:36 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RobDon
Ditto what Cate says. Never had a problem at all.
Me neither
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:03 am
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
i wasn't aware that your average primate had a large dairy produce intake, or was indeed that scared....
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

Barnsley Mat,

You're full of it. The stories that you come up with are nothing more than s*** stirring. What really bothers you is that its possible for a country to follow a sport other than soccer (if you don't believe me- go reread pretty much every post around rugby you've ever posted, it's the same old tired tripe). Personally, I think they can both coexist & while I have serious problems with the way that FIFA manage the game & the absurd situation of grown men diving around, all in the belief that if they stay down long enough, they'll con the ref.........I will watch both rugby & soccer. Both sports have their own aspects to appreciate, but the fact that NZ is holding what I consider to be a very successful world cup, really bothers you, doesn't it.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howick
Barnsley Mat,

You're full of it. The stories that you come up with are nothing more than s*** stirring. What really bothers you is that its possible for a country to follow a sport other than soccer (if you don't believe me- go reread pretty much every post around rugby you've ever posted, it's the same old tired tripe). Personally, I think they can both coexist & while I have serious problems with the way that FIFA manage the game & the absurd situation of grown men diving around, all in the belief that if they stay down long enough, they'll con the ref.........I will watch both rugby & soccer. Both sports have their own aspects to appreciate, but the fact that NZ is holding what I consider to be a very successful world cup, really bothers you, doesn't it.
Stop getting your knickers in a twist, I'm only messing about half of the time.

Now, where's my Beret.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 4:24 am
AndyRuth

AndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really nice

Originally Posted by Howick
Barnsley Mat,

football , soccer is for the yanks and kids
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 4:34 am
AndyRuth

AndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really nice

I'd say 99.99% of the time everything is just dandy between Kiwis and those from the mother country , there will always be the odd bad apple in there though. The other week was in the pub watching the England Argentina game ( was doing this quietly as tbh I can not work up lots of passion watching rugby ) , a Kiwi fella slithered along the bar , engaged in a discussion with me about the game ( a short one as I know diddly squat about the finer points of rugby ) , and as soon as he discovered I was not as enthusiastic as I should have been about the World Cup he not too politely told me to go back to England , although this could have resulted from England pinching the game at the end , to be fair he was a quite obnoxious character but I've come across worse in the bars of beautiful Birkenhead
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 4:53 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AndyRuth
I'd say 99.99% of the time everything is just dandy between Kiwis and those from the mother country , there will always be the odd bad apple in there though. The other week was in the pub watching the England Argentina game ( was doing this quietly as tbh I can not work up lots of passion watching rugby ) , a Kiwi fella slithered along the bar , engaged in a discussion with me about the game ( a short one as I know diddly squat about the finer points of rugby ) , and as soon as he discovered I was not as enthusiastic as I should have been about the World Cup he not too politely told me to go back to England , although this could have resulted from England pinching the game at the end , to be fair he was a quite obnoxious character but I've come across worse in the bars of beautiful Birkenhead
I would have told him to go and shag a sheep
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 9:50 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Depends on whether they changed their minds from last month????
France were behind England that time I recall so they can dress up as Asterix and Obelix or stick on a beret......
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
Depends on whether they changed their minds from last month????
Ooh, it'll be a gut wrenching tough call, but I'm betting we'll see a big swing towards the French. As much as they are bitter at losing to the French in 2007 quarters, the real issue was the English referee, Wayne Barnes that robbed them of their chance to win that cup.

I know this because they've been spitting bile and whinging about it for the past four years.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 10:15 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Oh gawd. Not the Wayne Barnes thing again.

Mega , giant snooze time.

Get Over It and Stop Whinging !
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Oh gawd. Not the Wayne Barnes thing again.

Mega , giant snooze time.

Get Over It and Stop Whinging !
Actually am surprised to see the man is still alive and well. Fronting up and actually being being here in the flesh in NZ, when so many wanted his guts for garters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.