Reload this Page >

Another white goods question

Another white goods question

Old Jul 24th 2007, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

miss_ck is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Another white goods question

Hi all
I can't find details of this when I searched so apologies if it's here somewhere already. We are bringing pretty much all our household goods with us to NZ however, the sale of our house in the UK includes the washing machine and fridge freezer. We will have to buy new.

So I've been thinking whether we should buy new in the UK and ship or wait until we arrive and buy new in NZ. Can you get good washing machines in NZ that are front loading and not extortionately priced? Or would we be better off buying a new one in the UK and shipping it over (which doesn't seem to make sense to me unless we will struggle to get what we want in NZ).

We're moving to the South Island if that makes any difference for retailers.

Any advice please? And I'd be grateful if you could send me some links to electrical retailers etc so I can start investigating.

Thank you for any help.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:28 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another white goods question

Hi Miss CK

We bought our white goods with us except for fridge (ours was on its last legs)

They all seem to have travelled quite well.

Some links worth looking at

www.noelleeming.co.nz

www.bondandbond.co.nz

www.harveynorman.co.nz
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Trout is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

We are looking at this as well as my washing machine isn't the best although it still works. i have been told by one of the removal companies that new/unused goods from the UK are subject to Duty and GST on arrival in NZ so that might be something to look into as i have no idea how much this is likely to be. We were recommended to take our own white goods.

HTH
Val
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

annbee has a spectacular aura aboutannbee has a spectacular aura aboutannbee has a spectacular aura about

Hi

We are moving over in October and are taking all white goods, a friend over there said that it isnt a problem using them over there
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:34 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We brought over all our white goods, Two fridges, washing machine, tumble dryer and a fridge freezer and they all work fine.

So pack um up and bring um over
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

We brought over all our white goods too, & all ok , however washer dryer has now gone tits up due to old age so will probably have to buy a new washer & dryer , will most likely get a bosch as the bosch dishwasher we got from harvey norman a few months ago is good & its a brand we reconigse. that said i think fisher & pykall , & westinghouse are also good brands & you can get whirlpool here too
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:36 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trout
Hi there

We are looking at this as well as my washing machine isn't the best although it still works. i have been told by one of the removal companies that new/unused goods from the UK are subject to Duty and GST on arrival in NZ so that might be something to look into as i have no idea how much this is likely to be. We were recommended to take our own white goods.

HTH
Val

take them out the packaging, plug them in, use them once to check they work, & then you can call them used!! .....
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Just be aware that if you're buying new, the guarantees won't be valid unless you're planning to take them back to the UK for fixing!

I had a wonderful Zanussi washing machine that died six months after getting here. No parts available here and Zanussi refused to answer any emails about sourcing parts A perfectly repairable washing machine was delegated to the inorganic collection...
Old Jul 25th 2007, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

miss_ck is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all.

I would definitely bring them out if we weren't selling ours as part of our house sale. I was more thinking whether it's worth buying new ones here in the UK, having to test them to make sure they're working (and avoid paying tax to take them into Nz) and paying any extra shipping or whether I should just put the money aside and get them once we're there.

I think I will see if the shipping costs vary much/ at all with the two items included or not and see whether that makes any difference.

Thanks for all the replies.