Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Another where should we live thread?

Another where should we live thread?

Old Feb 8th 2009, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another where should we live thread?

We have a 175 permanent visa for Oz but are slowly changing our minds (one of the areas we were looking at in Victoria has been affected by the fires and it's got us thinking), so we thought we'd transfer it to NZ.
Anyway we are me, OH, 7 and 4 year old. In an idea world we would like somewhere where:

There is a sleepy town feel (ie, not feeling afraid to walk down the street), but close to a town for work.
Not too much graffitti (you can tell a lot about a place by that I think).
Good amenities, clubs, Brownies, sports facilities.
Close to the sea/water and picturesque.
Good schools.
Up to $650,000 housing.
Not sure about weather differences in north and south island, but somewhere as dry/sunny as possible!

Tall order I know, but just thought I'd ask
Gary
Old Feb 8th 2009, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another where should we live thread?

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
We have a 175 permanent visa for Oz but are slowly changing our minds (one of the areas we were looking at in Victoria has been affected by the fires and it's got us thinking), so we thought we'd transfer it to NZ.
Anyway we are me, OH, 7 and 4 year old. In an idea world we would like somewhere where:

There is a sleepy town feel (ie, not feeling afraid to walk down the street), but close to a town for work.
Good schools.
Up to $650,000 housing.
Not sure about weather differences in north and south island, but somewhere as dry/sunny as possible!

Gary

Hi Gary

Come to inglewood ,it is a lovely little place on out skirts of NP its the size of a village,with everything in walking distance..10 minutes drive to main town and beaches. its lovely and its notrained for weeks here, apparently it gets more sun than np too,and also next to the beautiful mount taranaki

caz
Old Feb 8th 2009, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Good schools.
Up to $650,000 housing.

Gary
Or you could move to the SI Chch areas have a local feel to them not to busy, we live in rolly and it has all the things you need and only a 20 min drive back into the town
Old Feb 9th 2009, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Chirstchurch is very hot and sunny now, but cold and snowy in winter. Pretty sunny in Napier and Hastings and they would both fit the bill. Tauranga is also nice, but more expensive. New Plymouth is a nice small town - a bit of the beaten track, but with a nice mountain and everything else you need. In the south island Nelson might be OK for you. It's the sunshine capital, but we do get colder down south in the winter.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

aalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Another where should we live thread?

I say come to New Plymouth it has all of what your looking for!!!!!!!! Voted the BEST PLACE TO LIVE IN THE WORLD (in the 75'000 population category) doesn't get any better than that....... The town pretty much speaks for itself

Last edited by aalls73; Feb 9th 2009 at 3:10 am.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Cold and snowy most certainly does not describe Christchurch in winter.

I think that the South Island tops the North Island, at least for me. I think Rangiora ticks your boxes very nicely. We live in Rangiora. Your housing budget would fit in nicely here and would get you a nice house on a lifestyle block close to town. I am 35 minutes from the University from our place in Rangiora.

Rangiora is:
1. A reasonable sized town of 12,000
2. Has all the shopping you need on a regular basis
3. Is 25 minutes from a reasonably sized mall in chch and only 12 minutes from the north of Chch.
4. Chch is the 2nd largest city in the country with a growing population and very good social/cultural amenities
5. Rangiora is quiet, has reasonably good schools, a library, tennis clubs other sports clubs including croquet!
6. The beach is 10 minutes away and the hiking is readily at hand.
7. Snow, if you call it that, comes perhaps up to once per year in Rangiora. It lasts one day. Further inland it is possible to get more and in June 2006 out at Oxford they did.
8. I think we should understand that the difference between Auckland and Chch in winter is not huge, however, 15 or 16 degrees in day time when you are work in Auckland will feel the same as 12 degrees in Canterbury when you are at work. However, on many days the difference in temperature is not that great and did I mention you will be at work during the warmest part of the day anyway?
Old Feb 9th 2009, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for your suggestions, they really are helpful. I'm busy googling on the various places and, to be honest, they all look beautiful. Thanks again for your responses.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
Cold and snowy most certainly does not describe Christchurch in winter.

I think that the South Island tops the North Island, at least for me. I think Rangiora ticks your boxes very nicely. We live in Rangiora. Your housing budget would fit in nicely here and would get you a nice house on a lifestyle block close to town. I am 35 minutes from the University from our place in Rangiora.

Rangiora is:
1. A reasonable sized town of 12,000
2. Has all the shopping you need on a regular basis
3. Is 25 minutes from a reasonably sized mall in chch and only 12 minutes from the north of Chch.
4. Chch is the 2nd largest city in the country with a growing population and very good social/cultural amenities
5. Rangiora is quiet, has reasonably good schools, a library, tennis clubs other sports clubs including croquet!
6. The beach is 10 minutes away and the hiking is readily at hand.
7. Snow, if you call it that, comes perhaps up to once per year in Rangiora. It lasts one day. Further inland it is possible to get more and in June 2006 out at Oxford they did.
8. I think we should understand that the difference between Auckland and Chch in winter is not huge, however, 15 or 16 degrees in day time when you are work in Auckland will feel the same as 12 degrees in Canterbury when you are at work. However, on many days the difference in temperature is not that great and did I mention you will be at work during the warmest part of the day anyway?
Hi I live just out side Rangiora in a place called Woodend just 5 mins from the beach but I have to say we started in KeriKeri just over 2 hours drive from Auckland and it was not for us still it has to be down to getting the job offer hope it all goes well for you.
Lin
Old Feb 10th 2009, 10:45 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

HHmm.

I don't live up on the North Island but have travelled over NZ. From your post I would suggest that perhaps Tauranga might be a good base for you.

We live at the top of the South Island, near to Nelson, but I feel you might find it a little isolated . It is classed as a city but is not large.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
HHmm.

I don't live up on the North Island but have travelled over NZ. From your post I would suggest that perhaps Tauranga might be a good base for you.

We live at the top of the South Island, near to Nelson, but I feel you might find it a little isolated . It is classed as a city but is not large.

Well done Bevs,

I was waiting for one of the other Tauranga Clan to pipe up !!!!

Tauranga is the fastest growing city in New Zealand but the city centre still has a really nice friendly feel to it. There is a massive choice of places to live depending on what you want. Beach life(Papamoa) proximity to the city(The Avenues, Maungatapu,) Views (Welcome Bay, Pyes Pa) even better views (Omokoroa !!!!) a new feel (Bethlehem) activity gallore (Mount Maunganui.
As has been said before, the weather here is good all year round and Papamoa imparticular has a climate all of its own.
There is a large British population here (don`t let that put you off though !!!!) which somehow makes the whole moving thing a little easier.
Come join the party.
Ash
Old Feb 12th 2009, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

shazniko is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Can anyone tell me about Whakatane - warts and all please? It sounds really good but it would be great to hear from someone who actually knows the area or lives there.

Thanks very much.

Shazniko
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

The coastal township of Whakatane is nestled up against bush clad hills and enjoys a sheltered harbour. Over the hills is the little beach settlement of Ohope - of which I am very fond. The Whakatane shopping area is fairly basic but adequate for most needs. The public hospital is good, however anything super major is transferred to Tauranga.
I visit Whakatane every few months. Would I personally live there ? No. There is something about Whakatane that I can't put my finger on - I just find it a bit depressing and " spooky ". I am always quite glad to leave. Apologies to those who live in and no doubt LOVE Whakatane. To end on a positive note. Some of the surrounding countryside is really lovely and maybe living outside Whakatane township itself would be ok.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:20 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Good schools.
Up to $650,000 housing.

Gary
Gary I would suggest you still head for Melbourne and then make the transition across

We are inturn looking at buying acreage in South Island

Most of NZ is filled with Sleepy towns - just avoid Auckland you wont find what your looking for there.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

shazniko is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Hokey-pokey

Thanks for that. Really appreciate it.

Shazniko
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.