Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Another shipping info thread!

Another shipping info thread!

Old Jan 8th 2013, 12:02 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another shipping info thread!

Hello all,

I have been looking into shipping companies for a while now and still haven't decided. My first choice is Anglo Pacific but I'm not 100% convinced by them. I am shipping over a few boxes only (no more than 15 cubic feet) and a rug. I've had all sorts of quotes ranging from almost 600 to 200 quid.

Has anyone had good/bad experiences with companies? Any companies I should avoid?

Thank you!
Old Jan 8th 2013, 11:16 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another shipping info thread!

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Hello all,

I have been looking into shipping companies for a while now and still haven't decided. My first choice is Anglo Pacific but I'm not 100% convinced by them. I am shipping over a few boxes only (no more than 15 cubic feet) and a rug. I've had all sorts of quotes ranging from almost 600 to 200 quid.

Has anyone had good/bad experiences with companies? Any companies I should avoid?

Thank you!
All I can say is that I used Anglo Pacific and they were really good from start to finish. I may have just fallen lucky with the packers in England and the unpackers here, who were fantastic.

I haven't read anything terrible about Anglo (could have missed it of course) but there will be some negatives probably.

Just about every company seems to have good and bad reviews.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

I shipped over 19 boxes with Seven Seas, fabulous service and, in my experience, I cant fault them.
Cost around £500 door to door just over 2 years ago.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

I also used Seven Seas - 12 boxes and a golf bag. All boxes, bubble wrap, tape and even a marker pen supplied We paid GBP470. Would use them again (not that I'm planning to! )
Old Jan 12th 2013, 10:39 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the input guys. I've decided to go Anglo Pacific, wish me luck!

I looked into Seven Seas but noticed they are not accredited by any shipping organisations. Not sure if that makes a difference but it gives me a bit more peace of mind.

Looked into Crown as well - 600 quid for a rug and 3 medium boxes!!!
Old Jan 12th 2013, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Looked into Crown as well - 600 quid for a rug and 3 medium boxes!!!
Ouch!!! The only thing that's drawing me to them is they're in Leeds. Everywhere else I have to drive my car miles for them to load. Other conteders are
John Mason
PSS

Any experiences with any of the above will be much appreciated
Xxx
Old Jan 14th 2013, 9:28 pm
She'll be right

We looked into PSS as they were at an expo a couple of months ago. They talked the talk and gave a really good spiel but their reviews said otherwise. Although now that I've looked into it there seems to be good and bad reviews about most shipping companies!

You can usually haggle as well. Anglo Pacific started off at 230 but went down to just under 200. The boxes and wrapping are due to turn up Weds and is being picked up on Friday. I'll let you know how that part goes and let you know the rest in 12 weeks!
Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all

I may do the whole 'n company are offering us xyz for £x' and see if they will beat them x
Old Jan 15th 2013, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough

Will that work rachel? I ask as we've been quoted £600 pound more by one company than the other we have had in for a quote to move a 20ft container to Wellington. Trouble is, I felt more confident with the more expensive company.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S_and_T
Will that work rachel? I ask as we've been quoted £600 pound more by one company than the other we have had in for a quote to move a 20ft container to Wellington. Trouble is, I felt more confident with the more expensive company.
Agreed.

Rachel (and anybody else who might be reading this with interest) - Consider the overall deal of what is being offered as part of the service.

Still worth trying the tack you are thinking about however, but still, bear the overall deal in mind; How long will it take to ship, in comparison to when are you looking to arrive? Will they pack the boxes for you? Do you want them to pack the boxes for you? What are the insurance costs? Is your container your own or shared? If shared, what are the potential ramification of this? Are you reliant on 'partners' of the shipping company at any stage of the transfer, what are the ramifications of this?

There are so many questions.

If someone is vastly cheaper, you need to identify why they're so much cheaper and weigh up whether it's actually worth the difference.

Last edited by TommyLuck; Jan 15th 2013 at 11:21 am.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 11:24 am
She'll be right

Yes I would agree with TommyLuck and S and T. I haggled the prices once I knew all three companies were offering the same service. It was easy for me to do because I am only shipping over a few boxes and not a container. I didn't bother trying to get the price of Crown down, they quoted me well over double the cost of the others.

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Jan 15th 2013 at 11:28 am.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:24 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

15 cu ft is like 2-3 suitcases, have you enquired what the excess baggage would be to just bring it with you on the flight??