Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Another school question

Another school question

Old Feb 16th 2011, 11:49 am
nik
Forum Regular

nik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nice
Default Another school question

Can any one give me any idea of the cost of after school care in Auckland? I will be working full time so will need to have care for my sons (aged 10 and 8). I looked at one private school which quoted $25 per evening per child (not that they will be going to private school) Does anyone know if this is standard?

Also, what age is it deemed acceptable in NZ for kids to walk home from school on their own? We lived in Sweden until 6 months ago and it was the norm for 6 yr olds to be walking home and even getting the bus. Mine were allowed to come home on their own as long as they rang me to say they were leaving and it was a safe 1/2 mile bike ride home.

Back in the UK these last 6 months I have really noticed how overprotective we are with our kids. Is this the same in NZ? Last time I lived there I didn't have kids so didn't take any notice! how things change

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another school question

my child is in before and after school care this is $100pw which I think is reasonable on the North shore, its school hols where the rates rank up
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

We're not in Auckland but to give you a rough idea, we pay $15 each for breakfast club (7am - 8.30am) and $15 each for after school care (till 6.30pm). Daily rates for the hols are $50 per child. This is run by the primary school. Depending on your earnings, these rates can be subsidised through the OSCAR scheme http://www.workandincome.govt.nz/ind...r-subsidy.html

There are definitely plenty of 6+ year olds walking, biking or catching the school bus to school around here by themselves, but we are in a small town. My kids certainly have far more freedom than they had in the UK, they now play out in the streets with their friends, go to the pool/river/park on their bikes. Some parts of Auckland, or any large city for that matter, may limit this I suppose.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice

We get the oscar subsidy which is an enormous help . We pay around $100 a week each child before subsidy. I sometimes think it would be extremely hard to work full-time without the extra help. There are lots of kids walking to and biking to our school from the age 8 upwards. It is a good thing, I have just relented my fears and let my 8 year old walk to the afterschoolcare after a sports session. I think it will be good for them to be responsible for themselves.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:46 pm
nik
Forum Regular

nik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nice

Crikey, it is expensive! Our school in the UK has free clubs after school so they can generally stay until 4.30pm doing homework or an activity and then after school charges kick in then, so it has not been so bad.

I am glad to hear kids get more freedom, we live in a small village here and my kids can safely play out on their own and I don't worry. I would like the same for them in NZ, so we will have to choose carefully whereabouts in Auckland we live.

My 10 year old wants to be able to go home on his own after school, and he is very sensible but my 8 yr old is not, and there is no way I would let them go back together or there would be no house left! I suppose the other option is not working full time and finishing at 3pm, but in my experience you get the same job, but with less pay!
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

Children have to be 14 to be left on their own here!, There are activities run by the school and other organisations but very few are free

examples, fliperball $70 per term, Kelly sports year 1-4 $80 per term held at the school, junior football $145 per season and it goes on

Our school offers a discout if yo use the service full time, what is nice is there is a swimming pol on site so in the summer they go swimming every night after school!

YMCA run excellent holiday programs my son met 'The Breakers' basketball team and won a signed ball, has been to Rainbows End and bowling etc for $40 per day, he has also been on week long camps with transport, food etc for $240pw these include Kayaking, sailing etc you would not get much change in the UK for thses from 500 GBP with PGL!

Its worth noting that just because a school has an afterschool club does not mean there is a space, we found this out in Wellington and our child had to be bussed after school to another facility in the next suburb.

Last edited by janeyk; Feb 16th 2011 at 10:15 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:20 pm
nik
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Janeyk - will have to let him know he can't go home on his own!

The holiday activities sound really good, and good value. I like the sound of the after school swimming, maybe I should pick a school with a pool
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:25 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=janeyk;9181291]Children have to be 14 to be left on their own here!, There are activities run by the school and other organisations but very few are free

14 is the legal age to babysit and be in charge of a minor - but not sure it is the legal age to be a "latch-key kid"???. My eldest started walking home from school alone from age 10 and there are some younger than this that walk too.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

They cannot be home unsupervised until they are 14. you cannot leave them without reasonable provision for their care. They do walk to school on their own here though, of course

BTW. I pay $17 per day for afterschool care in St Lukes in Auckland. They are brilliant people there
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:06 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina View Post
They cannot be home unsupervised until they are 14. you cannot leave them without reasonable provision for their care. They do walk to school on their own here though, of course

BTW. I pay $17 per day for afterschool care in St Lukes in Auckland. They are brilliant people there
Bizzare!! You'd think there was more danger on the streets between home and school than sat at home infront of the TV!!! Yet there's no minimum age to walk to school. ?..!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

It's a weird law..you can't leave them without making reasonable provision.
I think it's reasonable for an 11 year old at intermediate to come home andwait until their parents return from work if it's only an hour or so.

see below for what the family commission site says

Leaving children alone

In New Zealand it is against the law to leave children under 14 on their own without taking reasonable steps for their care and supervision.

What is 'reasonable' may vary depending on their age, the situation and how long they are alone. Parents must make sure that any child left alone is safe and in no danger.

It is never okay to leave a baby or young child alone — at home or anywhere else — even for a short time. When you can't be there yourself, make sure that your baby is being cared for by another responsible adult.

Most children under 14 are not mature enough to be left without adult supervision for more than a short time, and should not be left alone on a regular basis