Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

ANother music education question?

ANother music education question?

Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:38 am
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of
Default ANother music education question?

Okay - so we've all heard about my collywobbles and thanks to the forum i am over them in the main.However, eldest daughter rang today (13years old - at boarding school) to tell me she's not taking her grade 6 flute now(she pauses dramatically for effect) but her grade 7!! Now that's a great achievment in our eyes. Now obviously i ammega proud and so need to brag (brag brag) but . . . what sort of provision is there for a music scholar of her age in Wellington etc. I've looked at the Uni website and that's great but she's only 13. Does anyone else out there have a child taking music lessons? Going to band or orchestra in the city etc? What do you all reckon?

The sad thing is she doesn't want to go into the music industry as she is 'shy' so i am unwilling tosacriface too much for her.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:59 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ANother music education question?

Originally Posted by spid
The sad thing is she doesn't want to go into the music industry as she is 'shy' so i am unwilling tosacriface too much for her.

Maybe at 13. But that's not to say she'll feel the same at 18/21 when she's choosing her career perhaps. And then choosing her second one in her '30's' and another in her 40's, or whenever. You know the way life's roads go. Sorry, that might be an expensive opinion for you!

As parents, we never know what the very few things we do, or don't do, are that help them the most as adults.

If your daughter enjoys music and finds something she enjoys in Wellington, that's a great result. If she's talented, then that's a bonus. Well done to her. Sadly can't offer practical Wellington help but there are many on here who might.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:27 am
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Maybe at 13. But that's not to say she'll feel the same at 18/21 when she's choosing her career perhaps. And then choosing her second one in her '30's' and another in her 40's, or whenever. You know the way life's roads go. Sorry, that might be an expensive opinion for you!
Eeeeek! I don't look forward to that!!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

No personal experience but googled and found websites for Wellington Youth Orchestra and NZ National Youth Orchestra.

www.wyo.wellington.net.nz/

www.nzso.co.nz

Given the smaller population etc etc ..it is probably easier to make your mark here if you apply yourself (less competition) ...but then you have to go out into the wider world.

Last edited by luvwelly; Jan 31st 2008 at 9:46 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:19 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Can I suggest contacting the head of music at a couple of the high schools you were thinking of sending your daughter to? I know my high school music head (Shona Murray, Tawa College..years ago but I think she is actually still there) was very involved with stuff like that as I would imagine many others would be. That way you can also get an understanding on what particular schools offer in the way of musical education in addition to opportunities available for your daughter.

Good on her btw. I would love to be able to play a musical instrument (other than a sony walkman…)!!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:17 am
The Wicked One

Originally Posted by luvwelly
No personal experience but googled and found websites for Wellington Youth Orchestra and NZ National Youth Orchestra.

www.wyo.wellington.net.nz/

www.nzso.co.nz

Given the smaller population etc etc ..it is probably easier to make your mark here if you apply yourself (less competition) ...but then you have to go out into the wider world.
Thanks for this - you are becoming my guru! =Karma man!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:18 am
The Wicked One

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Can I suggest contacting the head of music at a couple of the high schools you were thinking of sending your daughter to? I know my high school music head (Shona Murray, Tawa College..years ago but I think she is actually still there) was very involved with stuff like that as I would imagine many others would be. That way you can also get an understanding on what particular schools offer in the way of musical education in addition to opportunities available for your daughter.

Good on her btw. I would love to be able to play a musical instrument (other than a sony walkman…)!!
Yep was getting round to this way of thinking myself - child doesn't take after me (i think she's an alien!) so it takes me a will to think of things - i need you lot to keep prodding me along!