Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Another list: what shocks foreigners about NZ

Another list: what shocks foreigners about NZ

Old May 11th 2016, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another list: what shocks foreigners about NZ

This time from foreigners that have lived here long-term, rather than visitors.

After talking to dozens of new residents and scouring expat blogs and social media groups, these are the most common themes.
1. PUBLIC TRANSPORT IS RUBBISH
2. THE MOBILE INTERNET SPEEDS ARE FAST AND RELIABLE
3. EVERYTHING IS EXPENSIVE
4. ADMINISTRATION IS EFFICIENT
5. THERE'S NO CENTRAL HEATING, AND INSULATION IS RARE
6. IT'S HARD TO MAKE FRIENDS WITH KIWIS
7. NEW ZEALANDERS HAVE AN INFERIORITY COMPLEX

What shocks foreigners about living in New Zealand long-term? | Stuff.co.nz

As usual the comments on stuff are pure gold
Old May 11th 2016, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Another list: what shocks foreigners about NZ

I was reasonably surprised the comments seemed to more or less agree with the noted short-comings of NZ instead of the hackles up, blind defence of all things kiwi 'eff off back to where you came from if you don't like it' brigade
Old May 12th 2016, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisa Maree
I was reasonably surprised the comments seemed to more or less agree with the noted short-comings of NZ instead of the hackles up, blind defence of all things kiwi 'eff off back to where you came from if you don't like it' brigade
As a cup half full person, I would look at the the internet and administration comments, especially the latter that impacts on everything.
Public transport is always going to be cr*p given a country bigger than uk with a small population and very limited capital.
Pleased they didn't bring up the usual 'beautiful landscape' comments.
If you want 'eff off' comments go to Scotland and Wales (as an English visitor) and criticise - so why expect nz to be different??
Old May 12th 2016, 6:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Lisa Maree
True. Restores some faith that not all are defensive all the time.

Where is the kamikaze driving in the list ?
Old May 29th 2016, 4:17 am
Just Joined

Norman Conquest is an unknown quantity at this point

Driving standards are really bad. It's just bad basic driving skills. The driving license is far too easy to get. The real problem is Kiwi lack of awareness, which is why Kiwi industrial accident rates are far higher than Australia and Britain. This almost weird Kiwi lack of awareness, coupled with poor skills, is a lethal mixture on the roads.
Old May 29th 2016, 5:23 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norman Conquest
Driving standards are really bad. It's just bad basic driving skills. The driving license is far too easy to get. The real problem is Kiwi lack of awareness, which is why Kiwi industrial accident rates are far higher than Australia and Britain. This almost weird Kiwi lack of awareness, coupled with poor skills, is a lethal mixture on the roads.
So you are saying different nationalities of people have different levels of awareness......
Old May 29th 2016, 5:47 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

The driving license is far too easy to get.
I'm not sure it is nowadays but the problem is lots of people do not come off the restricted licence and drive on that. I know a kiwi who has been on her restricted for over 20years and still has no inclination to change it
Old May 29th 2016, 12:50 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Another list: what shocks foreigners about NZ

To be fair you can do as you please as long as you are doing it under the speed limit. Talking and texting while driving are national pass times. In fact I think I read something the other day about a plan to legalize the use of cell phones while driving again?

We are actually enjoying the halcyon days of bad driving because technology is sufficiently advanced to distract people but not to blinker them. One day self driving cars will end all of this and you'll yearn for somebody to spice up your drive to work by unexpectedly change lanes without looking and/or indicating or drive onto a roundabout they can't possibly hope to exit. You grandchildren will look at you in amazement as you explain how pushing pedals and pulling levers at the right time was the only thing between you and an accident...and you did it all one handed while talking to your mortgage broker about refinancing and drinking coffee from a cardboard cup. What a time to be alive .
Old May 29th 2016, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I'm not sure it is nowadays but the problem is lots of people do not come off the restricted licence and drive on that. I know a kiwi who has been on her restricted for over 20years and still has no inclination to change it
The Australian six-stage license system should be followed. I agree that people driving on a restricted license for years is a major problem. It was announced a few months ago that tens of thousands of people are doing it - a high percentage of the total driving public (don't have the exact stats) I think the Govt has tightened up on that.

Another problem, I suspect, is that few Kiwis have received proper driving lessons from an accredited instructor. That's due to the cost, no doubt. As a result, they are being taught by family members or friends and most likely picking up other's bad driving habits.

Of course, nobody thinks bad driving applies to them. I think, perhaps, everyone should do a repeat driving test every ten years, five even, and it should be automatic if they are caught driving badly or are clearly lacking in competence. The police are quick enough to withdraw the license of an old person, even for a minor accident, but the policy should apply across the board.
Old May 29th 2016, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Stormer999
So you are saying different nationalities of people have different levels of awareness......
Coroners, Police and H&S experts have long been aware that lack of awareness is a key factor in Kiwi accidents. Foreigners, especially those who have travelled with Kiwis, are very aware of it. Kiwis are not the only ones in this category, but there's no point in making comparisons with other countries. However, if New Zealanders do not recognize this feature, no matter how unpalatable if may be to the ego, they will not extend their radar and there will be no improvement to their risk management skills.
Old May 29th 2016, 10:07 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Lack of awareness is a key factor in accidents of ALL nations of people, yes I fully understand being NEBOSH accredited. To try to suggest that NZ born people are more prone is just bloody stupid. One minute you are suggesting an inborn gene then next minute you are suggesting better training. Having trained motorcyclists to attain their Institute of Advanced Motorists test passes in NZ and the UK I can assure you that the nationality of the Associate matters not in their mindset or risk and danger awareness but any trend to presume would be fatal.
Old May 29th 2016, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

Lack of awareness is a key factor in accidents of ALL nations of people, yes I fully understand being NEBOSH accredited. To try to suggest that NZ born people are more prone is just bloody stupid. One minute you are suggesting an inborn gene then next minute you are suggesting better training. Having trained motorcyclists to attain their Institute of Advanced Motorists test passes in NZ and the UK I can assure you that the nationality of the Associate matters not in their mindset or risk and danger awareness but any trend to presume would be fatal.
I have not suggested Kiwis are more prone and I have not mentioned inborn genes. I have not made comparisons with other nations. Treat yourself to a proper, unemotional reading of my words. Don't call me "stupid". That's not in the spirit of the debate and you don't know me. But then, I am forgetting, if Kiwis are upset by an opinion, they often get abusive or violent.
Old May 29th 2016, 11:13 pm

I have not suggested Kiwis are more prone and I have not mentioned inborn genes. I have not made comparisons with other nations. Treat yourself to a proper, unemotional reading of my words. Don't call me "stupid". That's not in the spirit of the debate and you don't know me. But then, I am forgetting, if Kiwis are upset by an opinion, they often get abusive or violent.
That is exactly what you have suggested in your first post. I am not Kiwi though I would be happy to be. I do dislike peeps that come on to a forum in NZ and immediately start Kiwi bashing. I moved to NZ to integrate and live in this country and hopefully be accepted as one. Driving standards are poor in NZ due to training and not because "The real problem is Kiwi lack of awareness," as you suggest, neither am I "abusive or violent" and neither do I try to paint with the same brush.
Old May 29th 2016, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

That is exactly what you have suggested in your first post. I am not Kiwi though I would be happy to be. I do dislike peeps that come on to a forum in NZ and immediately start Kiwi bashing. I moved to NZ to integrate and live in this country and hopefully be accepted as one. Driving standards are poor in NZ due to training and not because "The real problem is Kiwi lack of awareness," as you suggest, neither am I "abusive or violent" and neither do I try to paint with the same brush.
I am not just talking about driving. It's New Zealand studies that have highlighted the awareness factor. It's not a criticism, it's an observation which deserves some serious consideration as to verity. Of course, Kiwis are quick to claim they are something special compared to the rest of the world, but are very thin skinned about the slightest thing they regard as criticism. I am a New Zealander, by the way.
Old May 30th 2016, 1:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
This time from foreigners that have lived here long-term, rather than visitors.

1. PUBLIC TRANSPORT IS RUBBISH
2. THE MOBILE INTERNET SPEEDS ARE FAST AND RELIABLE
3. EVERYTHING IS EXPENSIVE
4. ADMINISTRATION IS EFFICIENT
5. THERE'S NO CENTRAL HEATING, AND INSULATION IS RARE
6. IT'S HARD TO MAKE FRIENDS WITH KIWIS
7. NEW ZEALANDERS HAVE AN INFERIORITY COMPLEX

What shocks foreigners about living in New Zealand long-term? | Stuff.co.nz

As usual the comments on stuff are pure gold
I have lived in New Zealand a long, long time - in four different and widely separated locations and I don't remember home heating and insulation being complained about much, until quite recently. Perhaps that's because the climate has changed and it is now a lot damper and colder than it used to be. On the other hand, I have the impression, as one who has a lot of public contact, that a lot of Kiwis don't handle the cold too well. Perhaps we can add poor blood circulation to the list prominent medical conditions here. Also, a lot of people do not dress for the conditions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.