Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Another Fun One: You know youve been in NZ too long when....

Another Fun One: You know youve been in NZ too long when....

Old Dec 5th 2005, 1:48 am
Isle of Wight Chick

silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future
Default Re: Another Fun One: You know youve been in NZ too long when....

Originally Posted by sky
You do both know about the lolly shop in Rangiora that sells uk food don't you? They are a really nice couple, they lived in the UK themselves for quite a few years. They try their best to get you what you want. Not that I shop there much myself you understand
yeh we get some stuff in there but its far more cheaper on the website. we have asked for so many things, they say that the shipment is on its way but the goods are never in the shop. maybe it all gets sold before we get in there.
i think the husband is english and the wife is kiwi. also, the pet shop is run by an englishman from hounslow. just thought u might want to know that!LOL.
did u know, 20% of rangiora is english.....
Old Dec 5th 2005, 2:00 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silvermuse
yeh we get some stuff in there but its far more cheaper on the website. we have asked for so many things, they say that the shipment is on its way but the goods are never in the shop. maybe it all gets sold before we get in there.
i think the husband is english and the wife is kiwi. also, the pet shop is run by an englishman from hounslow. just thought u might want to know that!LOL.
did u know, 20% of rangiora is english.....
No I didn't lol but now you come to mention . I did know the pet shop guy was english yes we bought a guinea pig from him lol.
I'll have to check that website out if it cheaper, you're right the lolly shop couple do their best but sometimes they can't get you some of the stuff.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

... you know youve been here too long when you start calling your largish garden your "full section".
Old Dec 5th 2005, 2:50 am
Isle of Wight Chick

silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future

when u start sticking union jacks everywhere u possibly can just to remind urself who u actually are.....
Old Dec 5th 2005, 3:23 am
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by bookemjano
AND READY BREK!

Silvermuse, you're in my will.
yup added you to mine too - they do midget gems and blackcurrent and licorice.. :-D

Old Dec 5th 2005, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

... You start shivering and rushing for a woolie if the temperature falls below 15 degreees.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 5:03 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Herm
.....when you feel the urge to apply for citizenship..........
NEVER EVER
Old Dec 5th 2005, 5:22 am
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by mumomonty
NEVER EVER
why swap a pefectly good EU passport for a shoddy nz one huh?

Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:03 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
why swap a pefectly good EU passport for a shoddy nz one huh?
I 've got 3 already. I don't need anymore.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:51 pm
Banned

homesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant future

when you turn into lapsed kiwi
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:19 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

When you lose your sense of humour and start giving new migrants startled Bambi looks when they crack a joke...
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:44 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silvermuse
when u start sticking union jacks everywhere u possibly can just to remind urself who u actually are.....
lol must be sad to have to remind yourself who you are Kind of like how to influence friends & make enemies though. I would have thought one would never forget who they are or where they are from & would think one union jack would suffice Do know where your coming from though because over here so many houses fly the American flag outside somewhere. I dont have a problem with that at all seeing Hubby is American but if its good enough for him then its good enough for me & my NZ flag flies alongside his American one. Does cause quite a stir amongst the neighbours & annoys the heck out of me when they all refer to our house as the one with "The English" flag. I keep telling them its not bloody english but having the union jack in the corner blind sides them a little
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:50 pm
Banned

homesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant future

do kiwis know who they are, if they do, how come they all hate brits, & call tehmselves pakeha rather than european descendants.
How come all white kiwis ever get referred to is pakeha, kiwis cant bring themselves to say they're all european, they're all happy to claim 1/64th maori, or other blood in them, but dont say you're british, god no, that would never do down the pretentious cafe, whilst desperately searching for an identity this country can call its own.
If people in NZ know who they are, how come the single biggest influence on kids here is american culture ???
My boss came into work with an All Blacks top on last week, she's from south africa for gods sake, be proud.
Good for you putting your NZ flag up, but i love the fact theres a Union Jack on there, never forget who's boss !!!!!

Originally Posted by shepslady
lol must be sad to have to remind yourself who you are Kind of like how to influence friends & make enemies though. I would have thought one would never forget who they are or where they are from & would think one union jack would suffice Do know where your coming from though because over here so many houses fly the American flag outside somewhere. I dont have a problem with that at all seeing Hubby is American but if its good enough for him then its good enough for me & my NZ flag flies alongside his American one. Does cause quite a stir amongst the neighbours & annoys the heck out of me when they all refer to our house as the one with "The English" flag. I keep telling them its not bloody english but having the union jack in the corner blind sides them a little
Old Dec 5th 2005, 9:11 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by homesick harry
do kiwis know who they are, if they do, how come they all hate brits, & call tehmselves pakeha rather than european descendants.
How come all white kiwis ever get referred to is pakeha, kiwis cant bring themselves to say they're all european, they're all happy to claim 1/64th maori, or other blood in them, but dont say you're british, god no, that would never do down the pretentious cafe, whilst desperately searching for an identity this country can call its own.
If people in NZ know who they are, how come the single biggest influence on kids here is american culture ???
My boss came into work with an All Blacks top on last week, she's from south africa for gods sake, be proud.
Good for you putting your NZ flag up, but i love the fact theres a Union Jack on there, never forget who's boss !!!!!
Such a generalisation if ever I heard one...I for one have NEVER in all my 48 years ever called myself a Pakeha...I am of European decent & have also always stated it as so. Whilst my ancestors originally came from England I have always found it hard to reason why I should say Im British when my parents were both born in NZ & so were there parents. I might be from British stock way back in the family tree but my roots are firmly NZ so I state Im European & nothing else. If it came to the crunch if I had to choose between being a Pakeha or Causcasian I would chose Caucasian.
As for NZ kids being influenced by the American culture they are also influenced by The British too, hence the reason British Music has such a following in NZ. Its almost extinct here in the US & that to me is a shame. Im glad my sons all had the best of both worlds musically when they were growing up & even now as adults they are intelligent enough to be individuals & not be influenced by anyone.
Good grief surely your not referring to QE11 when you say to remember who the boss is?? She has never been my boss & never will be. I wouldnt cross the street to catch a glimpse of her. As for The Union Jack being on our flag I will never agree with it, we are not a part of England & never will be so maybe its time for a change. I personally dont think we need to find our identity we know what it is, its the rest of the world who seem to have a problem discovering what it is.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 9:15 pm
Banned

what is your identity as a nation then, this isn't an argument i'm actually really interested in that & i'm being serious. If you know what it is, please tell me, i'm deadly serious. dont let us discover it, tell us.
As for being part of england, no you're not, you're part of the commonwealth though & the queen is head of that, so yes, she is the Boss, or else why dont you remove it from your flag.
I'd like to see where NZ would be today without British handouts in the past.

Originally Posted by shepslady
Such a generalisation if ever I heard one...I for one have NEVER in all my 48 years ever called myself a Pakeha...I am of European decent & have also always stated it as so. Whilst my ancestors originally came from England I have always found it hard to reason why I should say Im British when my parents were both born in NZ & so were there parents. I might be from British stock way back in the family tree but my roots are firmly NZ so I state Im European & nothing else. If it came to the crunch if I had to choose between being a Pakeha or Causcasian I would chose Caucasian.
As for NZ kids being influenced by the American culture they are also influenced by The British too, hence the reason British Music has such a following in NZ. Its almost extinct here in the US & that to me is a shame. Im glad my sons all had the best of both worlds musically when they were growing up & even now as adults they are intelligent enough to be individuals & not be influenced by anyone.
Good grief surely your not referring to QE11 when you say to remember who the boss is?? She has never been my boss & never will be. I wouldnt cross the street to catch a glimpse of her. As for The Union Jack being on our flag I will never agree with it, we are not a part of England & never will be so maybe its time for a change. I personally dont think we need to find our identity we know what it is, its the rest of the world who seem to have a problem discovering what it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.